aliens

Author Topic: Linux compilation report  (Read 4396 times)

Offline yonux

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Linux compilation report
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:58:39 am »
Hi there,

First of all, thank you for your hard work !
I spent hours/days on this game when I was younger, it is nice to see it still alive :)

I compiled the git sources (git clone made yesterday 28/04/2015) and have the following remarks :

configure :
configure script is not checking for the existence of : libboost development files.
(libboost-dev in Debian)

I got problems with :
manpage : it requires xmlto. But when trying to install it from my Debian Jessie, aptitude ask me if I really want to download 734Mo of packages leading to 1.2Go space on disk.
Don't you think it is a little too much for just the openxcom manpages ? (I prefered the --without-man configure's paramater)
doxygen : same as manpage, too much data to download and install for just "docs" (--without-docs option has been preferred)

At last, I got one warning during the compilation time :
  CXX      src/Geoscape/openxcom-MissionDetectedState.o
src/Engine/Options.cpp: In function ‘void OpenXcom::Options::create()’:
src/Engine/Options.cpp:57:6: note: variable tracking size limit exceeded with -fvar-tracking-assignments, retrying without
 void create()
      ^

Nothing too annoying then but reporting anyway to bring my little part to the project :)

Thank you again and keep up the good work !

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Linux compilation report
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:13:49 pm »
I find the CMake compilation process much better than the automake one.  if doxygen doesn't exist, for example, it just doesn't generate docs.  See the wiki page

Offline yonux

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:24 am »
Interesting indeed.

I am an old Linux user (something you should have guessed because I am playing Xcom :) ).
I am always using the 3 magic steps : configure, make, make install
But I really need to take a look at the cmake way, thank you to pointing it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:15:43 pm »
That's the way I use and it works really well. It even updates your version number to include which commit it was built from.

Another side advantage if you use git is that you can checkout whichever version you want to use for compiling, in case you want to run mods that aren't up to the latest nightly.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:24:09 pm »
My last information about using git directly was, that one needs a git account, to use it. Is this the case? Because, I for one, download the current version via the download zip link on the git website of openxcom and then the version information ist missing. Or to be precise, it always says, it's version 1.0.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:40:09 pm »
My last information about using git directly was, that one needs a git account, to use it. Is this the case? Because, I for one, download the current version via the download zip link on the git website of openxcom and then the version information ist missing. Or to be precise, it always says, it's version 1.0.
You don't need a Git account to pull AFAIK, just use the repository URL on the site.
However the version will always say 1.0 unless a build process changes it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:58:18 pm »
The first time I pulled, I did not need an account. But I think I changed something in my pull command after and then I needed one.. Now 100% sure what happened. It's not a big deal to make an account either way.

Using the cmake & ccmake way of compiling, you get a version number that looks like 1.0g******** where the * are the commit hash.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:24:30 pm »
Well... not at my site... I always have to change version.h manually, but I never compiled with git-pull.