Author Topic: Reaper in the closet  (Read 4598 times)

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
Reaper in the closet
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:17:04 pm »
I thought I already had the fixed map files so I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's a freak accident or some overlooked intended behavior. I think a reaper does not belong in a little room with a little door.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:19:51 pm by darkestaxe »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Reaper in the closet
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:58:38 am »
I thought I already had the fixed map files so I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's a freak accident or some overlooked intended behavior. I think a reaper does not belong in a little room with a little door.

It's a bug on the vanilla files.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:38:50 am »
I've seen this happen in the PlayStation version plenty of times. It really sucks when there's a cyberdisc in there.

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:14 am »
Well, that's what grenades are for.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:41 am »
Personly I've had the same happen to me often. Mostly when useing the original games in Dosbox

Worst case was a Xarquid? (The big Jellyfish thing), get caught in a 2x2 room with a one tile door on a Alien colliany mission - at least I think it was a  colliany mission.

BTY - why do the aliens in TFTD always hide in the 1x1 sized rooms while on the terror missions, do they have a fasination with small spaces or is it just an AI problem?

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 05:36:47 am »
It's a bug in the cloning process. All clones are supposed to be neutered or spayed, but just like with cats and dogs some of the behaviors persist.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:03:54 am »
BTY - why do the aliens in TFTD always hide in the 1x1 sized rooms while on the terror missions, do they have a fasination with small spaces or is it just an AI problem?

It's neither - it's a viable tactic to cause player's nervous breakdown :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:15 am »

I guess the map routes were set up in this way, no connected nodes, or intentional.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:18 pm »
I guess the map routes were set up in this way, no connected nodes, or intentional.

Route nodes have nothing to do with this behavior. Route nodes are only used for spawning units and to for aliens on patrol mode (when aliens don't see or remember the location of hostile units). If the alien is attacking/escaping/ambushing then the AI ignores the nodes all together and moves the alien to the location it considers best.