Author Topic: Any word on openTFTD's progress?  (Read 44509 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Any word on openTFTD's progress?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:08 am »
a team at microprose. there are interviews and articles on the subject but the short version is: the studio wanted a sequel, and they wanted it in a timeframe that he wasn't comfortable with. So he gave them the source code and they made TFTD while he got busy with apocalypse.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 06:55:36 am »
Zombie at Strategycore.co.uk has gotten his hands on some TFTD test disks and has posted about his findings. He has also uploaded the "TFTD Draft Publishing Plan" which is the internal document used by the Microprose team.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2015, 11:22:46 am »
Zombie at Strategycore.co.uk has gotten his hands on some TFTD test disks and has posted about his findings. He has also uploaded the "TFTD Draft Publishing Plan" which is the internal document used by the Microprose team.

...so, the lobstermen were supposed to be invisible? Holy cow.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2015, 10:09:46 pm »
Julian Gollop had no hand in the development of TFTD, please don't take his name in vain like that.

Ah damn. Very well. I am prepared to offer the necessary ritual sacrifice: one rookie, with no armour against an Ethereal armed with only a pistol. If his Gollupness has forgiven me, the rookie will win.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:46 pm »
...so, the lobstermen were supposed to be invisible? Holy cow.

That's bordering on active contempt for their paying audience.

It's also very clear that tasoths weren't intended as mind control units and that they added that in really late.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2015, 01:50:23 am »
That's bordering on active contempt for their paying audience.

It's also very clear that tasoths weren't intended as mind control units and that they added that in really late.

Apparently, there was no mind control planned at all. The aliens would summon elemental-like projections instead.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:05 am »
I don't know the structure of TFTD ruleset yet, but I'm fairly sure it'd be trivial to do, like changing one flag.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but is there any idea for this option to become available? I'm afraid I'm at a total loss when it comes to any sort of programming, otherwise I'd try it myself.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but is there any idea for this option to become available? I'm afraid I'm at a total loss when it comes to any sort of programming, otherwise I'd try it myself.
Just go in OpenXcom/standard/xcom2/items.rul and remove the respective "underwaterOnly: true", it's that simple.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2015, 09:53:41 am »
My PC has no clue what to use to open the file correctly. Will something as simple as Notepad suffice?

Offline redrat9595

• Sergeant
  • Good Times
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2015, 11:40:39 am »
My PC has no clue what to use to open the file correctly. Will something as simple as Notepad suffice?

Yes, though if you pick up something like Notepad++ and hit Languages->YAML at the top, it'll highlight code bits and give you collapsible sections and things. The majority of ruleset stuff is human-readable and lots of fun to play with, so don't hesitate to mess around with other stuff as well. Reverting anything you cause is as simple as reinstalling.  ;)

Good luck,
Red

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2015, 09:38:19 pm »
Thanks for the patience here. I've tried altering the underwaterOnly: true to underwaterOnly: false and also tried removing the whole entire underwaterOnly: part and it still keeps telling me that that equipment won't function above water. Would you be willing to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Wait it looks like there are multiple instances of UnderwaterOnly Let me try changing them all.

EDIT 2: Good God this entire time this change was that damned easy? This is enough to bury my head in shame and commit seppuku.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:43:26 pm by Phoenix7786 »