Author Topic: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis  (Read 104963 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:24 pm »
the standing in a field of wheat and then being sniped by some &^#%@%%# sectoid from distant darkness with my fave soldier dying and then smashing my keyboard in a rage while the neighbours call the police....    *sob* *sniff*

There is just something about that feel most moddern gamers don't understand ;)

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:40 pm »
AlienRape summed up parts of what is missing, without going too much into the mechanics of it  ;D

Managed another 1 hour last week-end.  I've rescued the civilan, but man this game is boring.
Oh well.. it's not going anywhere so I'll finish it eventually.

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
The good thing about the new game being boring is that it just makes this project that much more desirable.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2012, 10:27:46 pm »
Oh well. This game is old news to me now, the DLC doesn't help either. I'm sick of games that promise high and end in the trash. It's like politics. Fuck the industry.

...Now we wait for OpenXcom ;)

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:23 am »
What's in the DLC ?

I must admit I was surprised the game wasnt all that good, because these are the same guys that remade "Pirates!"  and beside the nuking of the Treasure Fleet/Silver Train and the 1560 playable area (which I really miss) the remake is incredible.  It is "very" similar to the original game, up to the number of cannons on the ships (!).

Must be a different team that remade X-Com.
Yeah it's becoming old news for me as well...  Now there's this project and the new "Star Citizen"; a Wing Commander game remake by none other than Chris Roberts.  And World of Tanks to kill time (and ppl).

;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2012, 02:32:24 am »
The DLC contains some new armour graphics, and a new hairstyle... I think that's about it... Certainly glad I didn't pay for it.

I'm not quite sure why you guys (and gals?) seem to hate the game so much. Sure, it has issues (what game doesn't?), but it's not bad. Forget it's called Enemy Unknown, and enjoy it for the squad based tactical game that it is.

Volutar

« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2012, 08:21:53 am »
Why we hate it? It worse (more naive) than original. Like Diablo3 worse than Diablo2 (more naive too). It may be interesting for people who doesn't like thing called "challenge", but adore of "entertainment" thing.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2012, 09:43:08 am »
It's interesting that your first response is "It worse (more naive) than original" ans your main reason for hating the game. You do not it is not UFO:Enemy Unknown, right? Despite the name.

Now, if you'd have said it wasn't challenging, or it was boring, I would have just said "fair enough", but it kind of sounds like you've not really "tried" it. It is challenging, even on the edge of cheating (if not downright).

I'm not going to try winning you over, you're entitled to your own opinions, I just think you're expecting too much of what it isn't ever going to be.

Volutar

« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:46 am »
No, it's totally fair to expect nowadays games getting "naive" - it's just marketing methods to increase income by spreading "targeted audience" on people of different attitude, like children, teens, housekeepers, like for most part of IQ spectrum possible. Downside of that approach - they've made this game "boring" for not very large group of "xcom lovers" who hate word "naive". But, hey, they've earned for what they aimed. "XCom lovers" just cannot compensate possible income of thousands and thousands of consollers.
It would be quite another game which might hit 100% of what we expected. And definately not this one, I might add. And that's really good news (like someone said earlier) - we still have a chance to cover this part of audience.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:47:12 pm by Volutar »

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:26 am »
Been playing the demo on XBox, I must say it really plays well on a console, which I never expected from a strategy game...

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »
Some stats on shots in the new XCOM  ;D

https://sinepost.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/is-xcom-truly-random/
That's an interesting post, and eventually we ought to consider implementing "streakiness", which would allow some control of "randomness". The basic idea (like having a hot QB) is that when you start hitting you tend to keep hitting, and vice-versa. So when your QB turns cold, you don't go for long shots, you start again with high-percentage shots and try to rebuild your streak.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2012, 05:59:53 pm »
The basic idea (like having a hot QB) is that when you start hitting you tend to keep hitting, and vice-versa.
I really like that idea. I've seen quite a few people modding their XCOM, so this might be something doable.

Offline karvanit

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »
Really? I severely dislike this concept ("streakiness"). If MUST be an option. Because otherwise it only makes it worse for the player in the early game (when they miss a lot) and easier on the later game (where they tend to have better stats).

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:18 am »
True, but then I'd probably look to implement it like this:

Say you're character "A" has a 50% hit rate. He manages to hit an alien, so his next shot he gets something like a +10% accuracy, which means he now has 60% chance on his next shot. If he misses, he only drops back down to 50%, so you're at no loss, it's just an extra when consistantly hitting. It'll only remain during the mission too. I'm assuming the accuracy still increases over time of hitting in the new game, like the old? So naturally, he should build up his accuracy better, to the point where you could maybe exclude them from the "streak bonus"

I wish there were some better details on the abilities you could give you units too. I give my sniper the ability to take shots for free (can't remember what it's called off-hand), but sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'm assuming there's a rule to it, but it's not very clear IMO