Author Topic: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis  (Read 104909 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
It is amazing.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »
you lucky americans, you :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2012, 09:03:12 am »
It is amazing.

Just don't pull the pin on Openxcom , i have spent way to many hours on Mods to stop now :P

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »
I've spent way to many hours on coding :p  But a lot more on gaming :)
I'm on a gaming low now, I'm only busy playing 5 games: WoW(mists of pandaria), Skyrim, Minecraft on PC, LA.Noire and Forza on xbox. So playing a bit of xcom enemy unknown on the side won't make a big difference. :p
Soon there is a new Far Cry and a new Sim City! ...Must..... play .... everything.... Must ... not ... sleep .... Zzz

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
Well, I've re-pre-ordered XCOM  :o  I thought I might as well. Hopefully some of you will join me up for some online play.

I tend to end up playing Starcraft 2 mostly, because I have a bunch of friends who I regularly play with. It's a shame, because I have quite a few other games I really enjoy playing, but they hardly ever get booted up.

I'm really struggling to code in my personal time. I guess that's the problem having two jobs that are both software development roles. I think it might be nice to have a more content-orientated role for a while, ie. making maps/graphics/music. Not sure how good I'd be, but it'd be a nice change.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2012, 02:12:54 am »
Sooooo....

Has anybody got it? My copy arrived today. Didn't realise the disc version still required you to have a Steam account (Not that it's too much of a problem for me, but I could see that being annoying if you didn't).

As a remake/reimagining of UFO:Enemy Unknown, I'm not all that impressed. However, as a strategy game, it's not bad. Some things I think are a bit nonsensical - like chosing between a grenade or a flak jacket - but I think it'll probably get some play.

I did a multiplayer game earlier, which I think might end up playing more than the game itself, who knows yet, early days.

If anybody fancies playing me, feel free to add me on Steam.

Edit: Oh, for a game pushing the use of cover, there's an awful lot of seeing and shooting through walls and other solid objects
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:59:20 am by pmprog »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »
I have refused to buy it because of the steam activation , that stuff really rubs me the wrong way...

"I think it might be nice to have a more content-orientated role for a while, ie. making maps/graphics/music. Not sure how good I'd be, but it'd be a nice change."  On the topic of mapmaking , new video added to youtube :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7ErO2K-TqnE

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23:09 pm »
Luke, that's cool :D

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »
I have refused to buy it because of the steam activation , that stuff really rubs me the wrong way...
You know, I didn't know this when I bought the disc version. It would have really annoyed me if I didn't already have a Steam account.

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:19 pm »
I own the game...

Played it 3 hours, and haven't felt the urge to play it again since.  The awkward mechanics in Battlescape really threw me off, and the lack of freedom in the "BaseScape" didn't help one bit.  I am not liking the finished product so far.

I think I'll restart the game in "Easy" dificulty and try to at least finish the story thru the end.
It's definitely a shelved game once I'm finished with it tho.  I seem the prefer the original X-COM by a long shot.

Too bad tho, I had great hopes for that title.  :(
Oh well.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2012, 11:19:28 pm »
Played it 3 hours, and haven't felt the urge to play it again since.  The awkward mechanics in Battlescape really threw me off, and the lack of freedom in the "BaseScape" didn't help one bit.  I am not liking the finished product so far.
I played a multiplayer game with SupSuper. I agree some mechanics are annoying (like if you shoot as your first "action", you don't get a second one), but it just means you need to think a little different. It's not all that bad.

Maybe give the multiplayer a few goes. Might think it's not so bad

One of the more annoying basescape is all the excavating to build facilities! Really really annoying!

Offline AedanClarke

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2012, 12:45:07 am »
*sigh* Well, I posted a list of my problems with the game when talking to a guy on N4G... and it took forever to write said list. Well, time to write one again!

Let's see, I think 6 members at most is too few. 10 -12 is the sweet spot, which helps maintain the idea that every squad member is important without limiting the players or making each turn take too long. I think 3 actions per operative per turn is probably better than just 2. Besides, there are problems with this little system anyway. Like pmprog said, not getting a second action because you fired/reloaded on your first is ridiculously stupid. When the developers say you have two actions, then let us have two actions. Better yet, I'm actually in favor of using the Time unit system again. I'm not sure how many other people would prefer the TUs now, but I do.

When it comes to base management, I have a number of problems here as well. Why do we need to manually excavate every damn tile? Why do we need a certain number of engineers to build something rather than just making it take longer to build it? Why does your base, the headquarters of an international group of elite operatives (never mind the fact that in all X-COM games, you start out with rookies that can't shoot for shit, which would be stupid in real-life. Wouldn't be find the best of the best of the best, sir, in real life? Whatever...) dedicated to fighting off a mysterious extraterrestrial threat feel so damn small? Speaking of which, why is the hanger only large enough to support one Skyranger? And if we can only have one Skyranger, why can we have numerous Interceptors? Why can't we build more bases in the world? Why can't we pick a precise location in the world to place our base? If I'm not mistaken, placing your base on some tiny island in the original kept aliens from attacking you so easily, but you would have less of a chance of detecting aliens. I may be wrong about that, but back to the main topic. Why don't aliens EVER attack your base, anyway?

Enough of the base, let's think about the inventory system. Why does a fiber vest or whatever keep you from carrying a grenade? Why can you only carry one grenade? Why can't you carry both a medkit and some grenades of your belt (or wherever they pull this out from)? Why can't you stick anything in a backpack, as in the original game? Oh, you wanted to carry a shotgun and a rifle? Hahaha, too bad. -_- And when referring to the weapons and armor, why are they just strict upgrades rather than "side-grades"? This just reduces the tactical depth in general of outfitting your squad. And why can't you sell some equipment that you think is useless in comparison to your soldier's medkit? And when customizing soldiers themselves, why aren't there any accents outside of the "Default American" accent? It just feels weird to have a chick from China that sounds like she's been an American all of her life. Though, I appreciate the fact that they included the original games' famous hairstyle and shade of blond. A little bit of fanservice never hurt anybody.

Now the geoscape. Where's the time buttons? All we get is "Scan for Activity." And the geoscape brings other problems. So, you can detect random UFOs and can go shoot them down, but you'll never be able to see those UFOs that are exclusive to certain locations. You know, the UFOs that keep bringing up the abduction missions? I shouldn't have to go to the XCOM Nexus or alter the .exe itself to activate a fully functional part of the game that I think adds to their whole, "Every choice you make is irreversible" thing they have going on. Since, as I said, there's just one UFO per country that stays neatly inside of said country's borders, choosing to get rid of a UFO gets rid of one of the abductions missions you're tasked with choosing between, but at the cost of never getting the benefits that country would provide if you completed an abduction mission there. And why is the air combat so limited? More so, in fact, that the original's, which is REALLY REALLY saying something.

Now back to combat's problems. I've already mentioned the problems the 2-action system comes with, but there's still quite a fw other issues. As has been stated repeatedly, why is there only one way to fire with the exception of some special equipment like rocket launchers or grenades. Limiting free-aim is just stupid and not allowing more precise single-shots is a missed opportunity. And on Classic difficulty, why is the AI so cheap. Oftentimes, your basic Sectoid can critical one of your soldiers from across the map turn after turn. And such a problem is more infurating when a fully-leveled soldier can't target the Sectoid (or whatever alien it is) because said Sectoid is actually TOO FAR AWAY. 0_o Oh, and the camera is just horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. There's also a ton of bugs here, as they are in the entire game. Clipping is in abundance, too.

And, finally... why is Second Wave disabled by default as well? Because some of the modifier's don't work? Okay, then scrap those and include the ones that do work, dammit.

Still, you know what the really weird thing is? Even though this game has problem after problem after problem after problem... I still REALLY like it. It's a good game, perhaps on the border of being great. But the thing is... it says XCOM on it. And when you compare it to a game that's constantly considered the best strategy and/or tactics game ever created, you REALLY start to notice a lot of problems. Regardless, it's a very fun game in my opinion and it's managed to rip me away from my game of the year, Dishonored. That takes some miracle.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2012, 07:34:52 am »
I like the game, but I'm disappointed in Jake Solomon. He's a fucking piece of shit liar.

Sorry.

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:47 am »
Because he told players he was remaking the original in details ?

Just curious as to why blame Jake specifically ?

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:44 pm »
I've put around 25hrs into it so far..
I......
I'm not enjoying it...
It's not the same game at all. They're just the similar topic.

The constant in & out of mission control, the endless running to cover makes it.... the smaller areas.... the 10mins to more 3 feet....it's a totally different game.... a boring version of the original. I much prefer the old game. I miss having the bigger team of troops, I love being able to shoot windows/walls/hedges in the old game. I love the vast areas... I love the old nades.... the standing in a field of wheat and then being sniped by some &^#%@%%# sectoid from distant darkness with my fave soldier dying and then smashing my keyboard in a rage while the neighbours call the police....    *sob* *sniff*