aliens

Author Topic: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis  (Read 106485 times)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:00 am »
Thanks for the link hsbckb , if i was the muton there i would just shoot the car instead blowing up the heavy unit , seams like poor AI to me

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 07:19:11 pm »
GI updated information: Exploring XCOM's Combat Part I
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/26/advanced-tactics-exploring-xcom-39-s-combat-part-1.aspx

seeing these pictures, does that look turn-base to you? look at the first picture, he is giving commands to the sniper while the other soldier is shooting?

also, when he is ordering the heavy unit to advance, it looks like he is placing waypoints; why would he need to if it's all in his turn?

and that whole thing about "suppression fire", is that some kind of very advanced reaction-fire thing? because if it's just "fire at that spot again and again" you could just move around that spot. I really want to see a video of the gameplay.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »
Maybe in the second screenshot it's just pointing out where along that path the soldier would be in cover.

But for the first observation I have no explanation at this point. Maybe some kind of "asynchronous" turns?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:39 pm »
Maybe in the second screenshot it's just pointing out where along that path the soldier would be in cover.

But for the first observation I have no explanation at this point. Maybe some kind of "asynchronous" turns?

that could be it. you are right, they said something about partial cover and shield symbols somewhere.

and the soldier in the first picture could be in "suppression fire" mode. which I still don't quite understand.

at least those selection sidebars appear to be offering a lot of tactical options which are just hidden in the basic UI...

Offline DiceMaster

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:07 am »
Am I the only one who thinks that blue translucent interface looks cheap?

Offline bubblecannon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »
Same. I will withhold judgement until its released but I'm not a fan of the UI. I'm hoping it's still in early alpha. If not hoping xenonauts hurries up

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »
Am I the only one who thinks that blue translucent interface looks cheap?

Extremely cheap.

Come on, how hard is to hire a good UI designer? Especially for a project with this history.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2012, 10:23:10 am »
I don't think it's that bad. how would you like it to be? like the original, big blocks of opaque grey, like buttons? or some kind of animated, annoying I-pretend-to-be-a-HUD thing? The way it looks right now, I think it's least distracting from the actual battlefield while still large and iconic enough to be easily recognizable and hands-on. again, time (and after-release-testing) will tell :)

btw, something I didn't notice before: what currency do you think the prices displayed on the gas station are in? 320 Dollars a gallon? 320 Euro-Cent a litre? Yen? Come to think of that, do you think they will have regional (e.g. Western versus Asian) differences in the battlefields?

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 04:26:29 am »

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:17 pm »
FYI guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpvQGHCFKpQ

(Sorry if this has been posted before)

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:14 pm »
XCOM: Enemy Unknown first look - in-game footage and interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3uHHmTSDCvA#!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 05:25:34 pm »
XCOM: Enemy Unknown first look - in-game footage and interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3uHHmTSDCvA#!

Not gonna lie, that is everything I would make a remake look like (if I could :P).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:45:52 pm by SupSuper »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:08 pm »
It looks really nice. I wonder how the interface works and if it's really holding up, but the first impression is really good. it's still the same combat sequence we've been seeing for weeks, though... time for some new footage.

love the base view -> geoscape transition, kind of reverses the original concept, but nicely so.

Offline bubblecannon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:09 am »
doesn't look like they've detracted much from the turn based strategy.  Really keen to see a proper 1 or 2 minute play through of a turn than all these snippets mashed together.  Some really nice bits though in their implementation (the wire frame wall concept).

I'm keen to see how it pans out.  Hopefully they've identified that if done well it could be a real cash cow for sequels, etc.  There's a very large number of amazing amount of less hard core xcom fans (as well as the hard core types).