Author Topic: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis  (Read 106742 times)

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: shocking news: XCom: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 11:10:34 am »
Waits patiently for screenshots to appear in the near future.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:09 am »
Michal, thanks for the information.

The base can be multi-level:

I want to know the battlescape design for base attack ( if any).

Volutar

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 03:55:48 am »
Basescape looks like shit actually. Who have told them it's a good idea to drop "backgrounds" as base module look?

Battlescape also looks crappy. Figures are ugly, xcom and aliens are the same, and battlescape doesn't look to be having destructable landscape, which is essential feature of xcom spirit.

Nothing to bother about. Another consolish crap like UFO:Aftermath.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 07:11:59 am »
Hmm its not looking like something i want to play , is that wrong ?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 09:43:55 am »
Maybe it's on an early stage of development?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 09:50:06 am »
Yeah, I still hope these screenshots are taken in a very early beta stage and they completly changed their mind in the meantime...

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:25 am »
I doubt ;) Maybe there are some placeholder art, but i think that overall direction won't change.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 03:08:04 pm »
Battlescape also looks crappy. Figures are ugly, xcom and aliens are the same, and battlescape doesn't look to be having destructable landscape, which is essential feature of xcom spirit.
Battlescape lack something more important than that, its DARKNESS :D I think that night missions in Xcom are source of it success.

Volutar

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 03:40:53 pm »
Battlescape lack something more important than that, its DARKNESS :D I think that night missions in Xcom are source of it success.
Yep. Night missions too. So why I didn't get XCOM:Apoc right. It's always daytime in 3rd part of series.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »
In these 20 years,  the fans of Xcom game talked about many reasons why they love this game. I cannot believe that they do not hear these voices through internet/forum.

Is it so difficult to create a good remake Xcom game?

Volutar

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 03:57:43 pm »
hsbckb, I guess it is... It's difficult just because people, developers fall into trying "make it better in every way", and as consequence - they're loosing game spirit and drop project without finishing.
UFO1 is a masterpiece, like a statue without any excessiveness. There's a great temptation of adding something to it :) Just because it looks quite poor, without modern look... So people become victim of their own hunger for features and something "cool".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:01:26 pm by Volutar »

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »
Actually they DO have destructable terrain.  But so far noone knows how much.  If you can't dig a tunnel through the ground I'd say it's a fail.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »
In these 20 years,  the fans of Xcom game talked about many reasons why they love this game. I cannot believe that they do not hear these voices through internet/forum.

Is it so difficult to create a good remake Xcom game?

I guess there aren't targeting x-com fans but whole wider audience. That's why they need to please as as many players as possible. We, x-com fans, probably have quite different needs and expectations. So that's why i think that Xenonauts will be lot better project - as it's made for x-com fans.

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 07:31:22 pm »
I'm going to sum up what I see so far.

1) Square grid turned to hexagon (from Civ5 no doubt)
For X-Com definitely an improvement.  For those who play boardgames or comp games, you'll know hexagons are always more realistic.   Though I would have preferred polygons of such small size it seems there's no limit to the map at all (like SC2).

2) Cover system is a no-shield, half-shield, or full-shield?
I hope this is not the way accuracy is calculated, or it's definitely dumbed down.

3) One shooting button?
I pray it's one of those spawn-more-radial-button buttons.  Or all I can say is F@#$!!!!

4) It looks like there's no realistic sub-level.
So if you're on ground you'll never be half-way up on a rock or a hill.  Either you're up one level or you're not.  Or there may only be one level which is our worst nightmare.

5) Base is sideways.
Unless the tactical part of the game has at least 6 levels?  Then we're doomed.  Because there will be no base defense missions at all.

6) Says they have definitely "streamlined no small amounts of the original game".

Sigh

7) There are 5 soldiers on the radar (unless the triangle thingy is something else).
And there's no next-soldier button.  Hints at VERY few soldiers per mission.

8) The sectoid is ... crawling on all fours with a shoe in its mouth.
Devoid of intellect and turned into some feral monstrocity.  Scary ... yes, inappropriate ... yes.  Let me explain.  They look brainless and a race lacking in techology.  And they're supposed to be flying ufos in space.  Who knows, they could now be terror units in this new remake, some kind of alien warhound.

P.S.  The game looks good graphic wise and there may be some good changes.  I'm just complaining about the disastrous changes that are already clearly visible.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:03:21 pm by michal »