aliens

Author Topic: Reskinning  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Lightpost

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Reskinning
« on: April 18, 2015, 07:05:24 pm »
Hi!

I stumbled on the Xbox 360's XCOM Enemy Within game after desperately trying to fill my Tactical Strategy RPG needs - although the game only has slight RPG elements to it, and that I wasn't a fan of alien invasion-themed games, I got hooked.
My console's been sent for repairs so I decided to give the original game a try and was also hooked as soon as I learned how to play it.

Now I've decided to edit the graphics and give the game the same HUD (buttons and if possible, the fonts) as the latest game. I've managed to edit ICONS.PCK and some of the cursors to my liking after learning that I can't just use any color I want (I had to use the colors used by the Battlescape Palette).

But right now, I can't seem to find the files that contains the buttons that I click on when I'm in a menu screen (like the New Game, Load Game, Options buttons, etc.) as well as the buttons for choosing what type of shot I'd like to use.

Google's failing me right now and backtracking the threads here somehow leads me further away from what I need to find.

I hope someone here can at least lead me to the right direction.

Thanks!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Reskinning
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »
But right now, I can't seem to find the files that contains the buttons that I click on when I'm in a menu screen (like the New Game, Load Game, Options buttons, etc.) as well as the buttons for choosing what type of shot I'd like to use.

Hello there :)

I think those buttons are incorporated into the code (i.e. no separate graphic files). The best way to check is through UFOPaedia.org since they list all the Original Files and their propose.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
hardcoded, you can only change colors of them using `interfaces` node in ruleset.

Offline Lightpost

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:06:12 am »
Hello there :)

I think those buttons are incorporated into the code (i.e. no separate graphic files). The best way to check is through UFOPaedia.org since they list all the Original Files and their propose.

Ah, thanks for the advice. It looks like I'm stuck with those buttons. I've scoured UFOPaedia.org to no avail. It also looks like the mouse cursor and the red square on the right side of the screen (just above the right item window) indicating an alien in a soldier's line of sight are also hard-coded.

hardcoded, you can only change colors of them using `interfaces` node in ruleset.

Gonna give editing the ruleset a try. Searching now.....

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:08:05 am by Lightpost »

Offline Lightpost

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:46:38 pm »

I don't know if my Googling skills are failing me but I can't find that much about changing the font colors in the ruleset. I did see it in UFOpaedia.com though and I probably can handle how I can edit it but not what and how to edit it.  :-\

So far I've managed to edit the font style images to mimic that of the latest game which uses the AF Carplates for the main fonts.

I hope someone could help....  :'(