aliens

Author Topic: [EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion -- General Feedback Thread  (Read 352610 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.97 Double Terror and CTD fix
« Reply #495 on: November 19, 2015, 11:01:03 pm »
The Danger of More ;)

I know but i always wanted the aliens to have a gigantic Commandship. Also the player will only fight on this map once.
So i guess it is ok, at least to let the player recover the Alien Data Core.
What better way could there be as to have it located in the Alien Command Ship?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2015, 12:58:16 am »
Only one question: Can we fit so much Alien Alloys in our base Sir!? :)

This will be the biggest OXCom craft ever made, my Battleship is only 50x30x6 :) I haven't said my last word yet, though :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:02:17 am by Dioxine »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #497 on: November 20, 2015, 01:17:08 am »
Only one question: Can we fit so much Alien Alloys in our base Sir!? :)

This will be the biggest OXCom craft ever made, my Battleship is only 50x30x6 :) I haven't said my last word yet, though :)

Probably not :D
But i wanna find a way to reduce Alien Alloys for UFO's anyway, so this amount will cut down later to some degree.
But i guess from the initial size i expect around 800 unit of alien alloy, i will know for sure once i test it.

EDIT: The UFO_mothership map is also quite big and has 60x60x3 in dimension, so 10800 tiles. Mine will have 50x50x5 thats 12500 tiles. Ok so probably the largest so far :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:26:20 am by hellrazor »

niculinux

« Reply #498 on: November 20, 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
Hey hellrazor, this mod willl work with openxcom extended executable 2.4 on linux?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #499 on: November 20, 2015, 05:55:33 pm »
Hey hellrazor, this mod willl work with openxcom extended executable 2.4 on linux?

No clue :) Try it out and let me know. Depends which nightly Version openxcom extended is currently based on.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #500 on: November 20, 2015, 07:19:09 pm »
I was always wondering, why Blaster Bombs flying were actually the same color as Stun Bombs, always irritated me.

Well made a quick recolor so fyling Blaster Bombs are now indeed grey :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2015, 07:36:58 pm »
Due to my upcoming exams and projectwork i will not be able to work activly on my mod within the next 2-3 weeks.

Please be patient a new Version will be coming, once this stressful times for me are over.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #502 on: December 01, 2015, 05:05:04 am »
BIG

It just keeps growing....

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 01, 2015, 08:01:45 pm »
Maybe some spice up of external shape a bit? Right now it look like scale up of Battleship but I think it should have its own unique feel and style.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #504 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:47 am »
Maybe some spice up of external shape a bit? Right now it look like scale up of Battleship but I think it should have its own unique feel and style.

Jeah that is just a first draw so to say to get a feeling of the dimensions of this ufo.
I have some ideas.

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 02, 2015, 06:37:34 pm »
Well, it certainly makes game harder. Slowed research leads to one interesting problem.

I so don't want to sell it, but it filled all my stores already.

And also I noticed some enemies carry melee weapons now. Honestly, I think that's kinda stupid. I don't think Muton'd like to have plasma blade instead of heavy plasma, they just make (almost) easy targets of themselves. Although it's kinda funny when they sneak behind you and chop you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:53:22 pm by EditorRUS »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #506 on: December 02, 2015, 07:33:31 pm »
And also I noticed some enemies carry melee weapons now. Honestly, I think that's kinda stupid. I don't think Muton'd like to have plasma blade instead of heavy plasma, they just make (almost) easy targets of themselves. Although it's kinda funny when they sneak behind you and chop you.

Actually, Mutons seem well-suited for melee combat, since they're so hard to kill and therefore able to get close. But it only makes sense if 1) melee weapons have very reliable damage, 2) melee weapons are fast, 3) the battlescape has little open areas for long range combat. Otherwise, yeah, not much sense.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #507 on: December 03, 2015, 09:42:47 am »
Well, it certainly makes game harder. Slowed research leads to one interesting problem.
I so don't want to sell it, but it filled all my stores already.

Well i am well aware of the amounts of Elerium-115 you are able to gather. The issue is, as soon as you start interrogating Alien Engineers or Navigators, you will get additional Alienmissions next month (this is limited to a maximum of 2 additional Missions per Month). I am currently only pulling in vanilla missions, which leads to a increased amount of UFO's which is basically twice as high as in vanilla. This will change in the future, since i will replace those additional Vanilla Missions with Missions from Hobbes Redux and some of my own stuff. Even thou you actually do not have trouble to gather enough Elerium-115 or even Alien Alloys ingame, especially if you Raid a Alien Base Supply Ships.
For my next release i did reduce the amount of Elerium-115 per Power Source further from 35 to 25, i also managed to reduce the amount of Alien Alloys you recieve from UFO's by an average of 37%. Considering that the amount of UFO's you encounter will also be reduced in the future (changes in missionstructure). Things should get thight (or maybe need further adjustment).

Do not underestimate the Aliens equipt with Melee Weapons, they are incredible dangerous in close quarters, since 1 Hit even from a Sectoid (which has the lowest Str and Melee Accuracy of the aliens) can instantly kill your Soldiers, if they hit. Aliens like Mutons, which are physically strong do have a very high accuracy to hit with the Plasma Sword and Plasma Blade, they do additional Damage because their Str is added towards the weapons damage. Tanks are also at a high risk, since they can also be instantly killed by them. In open terrain they are still dangerous, since the only ranged attack they do have are Alien Grenades (basically they are TFTD Technicians, carring drills and grenades). I may need to optimiz the spawns for them, so they are more likely to spawn inside the UFO, instead in the open field.

Actually, Mutons seem well-suited for melee combat, since they're so hard to kill and therefore able to get close. But it only makes sense if 1) melee weapons have very reliable damage, 2) melee weapons are fast, 3) the battlescape has little open areas for long range combat. Otherwise, yeah, not much sense.

1.) They do have reliable damage :)
2.) They are kinda, Human Melee Weapons do have a precentage TU usage of 25%, Alien melee weapons do have a flatrate TU cost of 20 TU's, which lets enemies like Mutons and Gazers easily attack you twice each turn if they can close in on you (Muton Elites and Muton Elite Guards can attack maximum of 3 and 4 times respectivly).
3.) Well open terrain of course cuts down the usefullness of Melee weapons, but any Urban setting or the insides of caves, UFO's and buildings still pose a significant threat.

I will definitly change the percentage of them to have a higher likebility to spawn on the inside of the UFO's.

EDIT: I also reworked all of the 117 current UFO Maps in my Mod, to prevent stuff like this. The effect is the same as with Lukes Dark Ufos.
I hope you will like it, as soon as i release the next Version.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:19:06 am by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #508 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:50 am »
Also something else, which i considered, since the latest Version of Openxcom will actually allows to do this, is to drop the 2 lowest diffiulty levels,
Beginner and Experienced and add  two new ones called "Demigod" and "Omnipotent". Those will further increase the alien stats and armors and maybe some stuff more.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #509 on: December 03, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
Ahem.
Spoiler:

That's a little dumb. You can only get this entry in UFOPaedia if you actually got and researched it. That's first.
Second is that it says, "your troops did a really good job to acquire this item" but in the end it says, "we must acquire this item at all cost". If you'd already got this item, why would ufopaedia advise you to get it again?

You should read it properly... the ufopaedia article also talks about a even greater information source then the Alien Data Slate, the Alien Data Core, hence "we must aquire this item at all cost" is related towards the Alien Data Core not the Alien Data Slate. It is also a hint that you need to get the Alien Data Core to get access to Alien Plasma Weaponry. The artile is totally sound, it is is called indirect speech.

EDIT: For further clarification, i can change "we must acquire this item at all cost" into "we must acquire this Alien Data Core at all cost", if needed.
EDIT2: The article also holds some typo errors, which i need to correct...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:17:32 am by hellrazor »