Author Topic: [EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion -- General Feedback Thread  (Read 352555 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.94 Release
« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2015, 09:20:32 pm »
to hellrazor: Hit animation for knifes:

OMFG!

pWWWa i will add those immediatly! Thanks dude!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.95 - Bugfixes / Melee HitAnimations
« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2015, 11:14:47 pm »
Some small but critical Bugfixes!

I hereby Release:

Version 0.95
 - Fix Reinforced Power Suit Unlock
 - Fix Reinforced Flying Suit Unlock
 - Fix Walkertank HWP's Unlock
 - Fix Several Ufopaedia Strings (typos)
 - Added New Melee HitAnimation for Combat Knife, Alloy Knife and Alloy Sword (thx pWWWa)
 - Imported some TERRAIN patches from Hobbes Redux (no maps yet)
 - Alloy Tanks take 10% less Plasma Damage
 - Hovertanks take 15% less Plasma Damage
 - Armored Sectopod is immune towards Icendiary Ammo

Please use newest Nightly, or at least Nightly Version: openxcom_git_master_2015_10_10_0133

Modportal Link

Readme attached here

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #452 on: October 27, 2015, 02:01:00 am »
Another issue is the current state of translated strings, from the extraStrings Section.

The only fully supported languages so far are en-US and en-GB.
I will probably do a German (de-DE) translation myself in the future since it is my mother language.

I do have collected already translated random strings in various languages,
the ones with most random translation strings are:
- Russian (ru)
- Polish (pl-PL)
- Spanish (es)
- French (fr)

Since i am not a speaker of those languages, i would welcome any additional translated strings, especially for those
four languages, since they are the ones which do already have many strings so far, and are the ones which can achieve a complete
translation quicker then the other ones.

I advise, if you are on a windows System to use notepad++ for opening the file, the normal windows editor doesn't regonize the newlines...

Translators will earn their place in the creditlist and my eternal thanks and of course those of the players :)

I attached the current Version of extraStrings.rul from 0.95 towards this post, if you feel like, translate 1 or 2 strings, Post them here in the thread and
they will find its way into the mod fur sure!

EDIT: I removed the extraStrings.rul i make seperate files, for russian, french, psnaish and polish, which contain also the untranslated english strings.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:22:15 am by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2015, 11:24:16 am »
Russian and French string files, in yml format (UTF-8 encoded)
they do contain a mix of the translated and untranslated Strings, untranslated strings are in English.

Please use notepad++ for editing the files or opening them for reading, if you are under a Windows operating system.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:50:35 pm by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #454 on: October 30, 2015, 11:39:45 am »
Spanish and Polish extraStrings file in yml format (UTF-8 encoded)

they do contain a mix of the translated and untranslated Strings, untranslated strings are in English.

Please use notepad++ for editing the files or opening them for reading, if you are under a Windows operating system.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:50:42 pm by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.96 Bugfixes and Languages
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2015, 04:52:47 pm »
Some small Bugfixes nothing major.

Version 0.96
 - Research changes:
   - Alloy Knife needs only Alloy Ammo
   - Alloy Sword needs Alloy Knife and Alien Data Slate
 - Readjust all Meleeweapons, lowered Power and Accuracy slightly, changed TU usage
 - Added Version String
 - Added language support for Russian, Spanish, French and Polish
   You will find a mix of English and the respective language until someone translates the missing stuff
 - Adjusted Ruleset to lastest changes in : openxcom_git_master_2015_10_31_1725

Please use newest Nightly, or at least Nightly Version: openxcom_git_master_2015_10_31_1725

Modportal Link

Readme attached here

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2015, 12:00:56 am »
Ahem. I read extraString-ru a little and I've got one thing to say: please, do not translate names. They sound incredibly dumb after being translated. Just let them be as is. Although it's not related to this mod, here's an example why it is bad. "Snakeman" should remain "Снейкмен", not "Человек-змея" (roughly "Snake man") or "Floater" should be "Флоатер" or "Флоутер", not "Летун" (although it is a common name). It should be known it is not a good idea to translate names. As for this mod this applies for gazers (which are called "зритель" (spectator, observer) here), waspites ("осоид" (I can't even come up with approximate translation of this, it's a portmanteau)) and cybermites ("киберклещ" (translation is correct albeit literal)).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:22:36 pm by EditorRUS »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #457 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:29 am »
Ahem. I read extraString-ru a little and I've got one thing to say: please, do not translate names. They sound incredibly dumb after being translated. Just let them be as is. Although it's not related to this mod, here's an example why it is bad. "Snakeman" should remain "Снейкмен", not "Человек-змея" (roughly "Snake man") or "Floater" should be "Флоатер" or "Флоутер", not "Летун" (although it is a common name). It should be known it is not a good idea to translate names. As for this mod this applies for gazers (which is called "зритель" (spectator, observator) here), waspites ("осоид" (I can't even come up with approximate translation of this, it's a portmanteau)) and cybermites ("киберклещ" (translation is correct albeit literal)).

Uhh, i do not speak russian, i only collected already translated strings i did find in other mods, to make the work for the translators, if they exist, easier.
Feel free to correct those translations and post them here, i would be really glad to include any corrections or additional translations.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:25 am »
Ahem. I read extraString-ru a little and I've got one thing to say: please, do not translate names. They sound incredibly dumb after being translated. Just let them be as is. Although it's not related to this mod, here's an example why it is bad. "Snakeman" should remain "Снейкмен", not "Человек-змея" (roughly "Snake man") or "Floater" should be "Флоатер" or "Флоутер", not "Летун" (although it is a common name). It should be known it is not a good idea to translate names. As for this mod this applies for gazers (which is called "зритель" (spectator, observator) here), waspites ("осоид" (I can't even come up with approximate translation of this, it's a portmanteau)) and cybermites ("киберклещ" (translation is correct albeit literal)).

I somehow cannot agree with you. The problem is that we have a basic game where there are a lot of already translated names of races and upon translating the mods we have to follow the chosen translation to keep uniformity. As for the translation of the names of races added by mods I can give some examples of the names I used while translating FMP:

Cerebreal - Церебреал
Chtonite - Хтонит
Tunlun - Тунлун
Gazer - Наблюдатель
Holodrone - Холодрон (though I saw Голодрон translation here and I like it much more)
Waspite - Васпит
Cybermite - Кибержук
Reptoid - Рептилоид
Salamandron - Саламандрон

I think we should translate the name of a race if this name describes its properties otherwise we'd have to name the brainsucker and the queenspawn from XCOM Apocalypse as брейнсаккер и квинспавн / квинспон which is awful. And of course we shouldn't forget about the sonority in Russian - if the translated name is much worse in Russian than its english equivalent we should use transcription / transliteration of the name.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:19:34 am by Kammerer »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #459 on: November 04, 2015, 08:24:18 pm »
I somehow cannot agree with you. The problem is that we have a basic game where there are a lot of already translated names of races and upon translating the mods we have to follow the chosen translation to keep uniformity.

I can only agree here that keeping thing uniform is important especially with language.

As for the translation of the names of races added by mods I can give some examples of the names I used while translating FMP:

Cerebreal - Церебреал
Chtonite - Хтонит
Tunlun - Тунлун
Gazer - Наблюдатель
Holodrone - Холодрон (though I saw Голодрон translation here and I like it much more)
Waspite - Васпит
Cybermite - Кибержук
Reptoid - Рептилоид
Salamandron - Саламандрон

SO which names should i use for Waspite, Gazer, Cybermite and Holodrone?

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2015, 07:48:30 am »
I think we should translate the name of a race if this name describes its properties otherwise we'd have to name the brainsucker and the queenspawn from XCOM Apocalypse as брейнсаккер и квинспавн / квинспон which is awful. And of course we shouldn't forget about the sonority in Russian - if the translated name is much worse in Russian than its english equivalent we should use transcription / transliteration of the name.
Ugh... UGGGH. Fine. You are right. I have no arguments.

SO which names should i use for Waspite, Gazer, Cybermite and Holodrone?
I think waspite, cybermite, gazer translations should be rough transcriptions of original name with some correction for it to have nice sounding, i. e. "Васпайт", "Кибермайт" (not "Сайбэмайт" which is correct (cyberdisc is called "кибердиск" as for example)), "Гейзер". Although gazer is a word in English, it has no analog in Russian and it's really hard to come up with made-up word for that (unfortunately there is no suffix in Russian similar to suffix -er in English which is used to make word designating person or thing). "Наблюдатель" is not a thing despite Google Translate saying otherwise. This word means something vastly more different than "gazer". So I propose changing "gazer" to "Гейзер". But wait, there is more. "Гейзер" sounds exactly like "geyser" and I think everyone not familiar with original name will most probably imagine geysers upon reading the word.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 05, 2015, 03:01:28 pm »
I think waspite, cybermite, gazer translations should be rough transcriptions of original name with some correction for it to have nice sounding, i. e. "Васпайт", "Кибермайт" (not "Сайбэмайт" which is correct (cyberdisc is called "кибердиск" as for example)), "Гейзер". Although gazer is a word in English, it has no analog in Russian and it's really hard to come up with made-up word for that (unfortunately there is no suffix in Russian similar to suffix -er in English which is used to make word designating person or thing). "Наблюдатель" is not a thing despite Google Translate saying otherwise. This word means something vastly more different than "gazer". So I propose changing "gazer" to "Гейзер". But wait, there is more. "Гейзер" sounds exactly like "geyser" and I think everyone not familiar with original name will most probably imagine geysers upon reading the word.

Well, I'm not against any of these translations, but I need to make one little remark about the translation of the word "gazer" in Russian. Here are the translations taken from some dictionaries:

Lingvo Universal

['geɪzə] пристально глядящий человек

Новый англо-русский словарь В.К. Мюллера
[ˊgeɪzə] пристально глядящий (человек), наблюдатель; star gazer наблюдающий за звёздами; звездочёт

Oxford English Dict

(ˈgeɪzə(r)) Also 6 gaser. [gaze v. + -er 1.] 1. One who gazes or looks steadily, from motives of curiosity.

Vicon English-Russian Dictionary

gazer [gaz·er || 'geɪzə(r)] n. пристально глядящий человек, наблюдатель

Большой англо-русский словарь в 3-х томах, 1994 г. под общим руководством акад. Ю.Д. Апресяна и проф. Э.М. Медниковой

gazer [`geɪzə] 1. 1) gaze II + -er 2) смотрящий пристально 3) наблюдатель, зритель 2. агент федерального бюро по наркотикам

Multitran

gazer ['geɪzə] 1. смотрящий пристально 2. 1) зритель, наблюдатель 2) агент федерального бюро по наркотикам 3) агент федеральной службы по борьбе с наркотиками, окно

Since gazer alien is a sort of cyclops (with an "eye" on his stomach) I think it can be named as "наблюдатель" or "соглядатай". But I'm not against your translation, I just wanted to explain why I've chosen my version while working on FMP.

And about "holodrone" - I think the "голодрон" translation is the best.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:06:44 pm by Kammerer »

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 05, 2015, 03:20:09 pm »
Well, I'm not against any of these translations, but I need to make one little remark about the translation of the word "gazer" in Russian. Here are the translations taken from some dictionaries:
I wouldn't say it's hard to come up with correct and nice translation for "gazer" if I had not checked its translations beforehand.
"Пристально глядящий человек" is way too long, does not show any of properties of the race and can be translated as follows: "Fixedly staring man". Apparently it's not a man, it's not staring at you.

"Наблюдатель" seems incorrect. It is literally "observer", "spectator", "watcher". Gazer is somebody who is gazing at something while proposed translation is somebody who is merely watching or observing something, not staring or gazing.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2015, 01:51:24 am »
I appreciate the discussion :)

Any new translated strings will go into the next Version 0.97.

Since i do have exams in 3 weeks i will basically do not work on the mod in this period.
Maybe i will make some more langauge support files, but i only have some random strings from es-419 (portugese), sk (slowakien), cs-CZ (csech), it-IT (italian) and of course german (i do this myself, but appreciate any help). So i will make those additional files for further translations (if they come).

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2015, 05:56:26 am »
Playing around with Improved Skyrangers...

My so far achived result, the SKYSTRIKER as i call it ;)
It will appear researchwise together with the Improved Interceptor,
it will have a carry capacity of a maximum of 16, Tanks max 4, so the following teams would be possible:

16 Soldiers,
12 Soldiers + 1 Tank,
8 Soldiers + 2 Tanks,
4 Soldiers + 3 Tanks,
0 Soldiers + 4 Tanks

It also would get significant speed increase over the normal Skyranger, but no weapon mounts.
Also it would need Alien Alloys to be constructed and the MCD File needs a recolor towards Alloy blue of course ;>
Of course i also would need to make customized Interception and Base pictures.

I also found a way to make some proper Slide Doors and Stairs, so Soldiers could leave the craft behind the cockpit, but my exams are occupying me,
so this will have to wait. The sliding doors+ stairs will be were the X-Com logo is on both sides.

So far i like it, i do not think it would destroy the game balance in this configuration at least for my Mod.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:48:29 pm by hellrazor »