aliens

Author Topic: [EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion -- General Feedback Thread  (Read 352545 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Beta][WIP][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.93b Cydonia or Bust Fix
« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:46 am »
Nice, they certainly look more intimidating than a normal sectoid fighting au natural, I take it they'll have a good bit more armor than normal sectoids as if you blow, shout at or do virtually anything to normal ones they'll die most of the time even with your starting weapons. IMHO the normal psionic ability of leaders/commanders doesn't quite balance out their physical fraility. However if you change their frality too much are you not taking away from their ufopedia description:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Sectoid

"Low Threat: Sectoid
Sectoid

The Sectoids are usually the first alien you'll see. They resemble the "Greys" spoken of by New Age types and the X-Files television show: short humanoids with pale skin, elfin features and large, almond-shaped eyes. They are the only weapon carrying life-form that chooses to go naked into battle. This possibly psychological tactic does not appear effective, since it neither promotes a berserker style morale on their own part, nor do the sectoid size dangly bits appear to intimidate X-COM soldiers.

Sectoids are physically weak in combat. They have average mobility, no armor worth mentioning, and will fall easily to any weapon. Without their psi equipped Leaders and Commanders, they can be overcome with minimal risk. Be aware that Sectoids are on average more accurate shooters than floaters, and their ability to react is second to the Ethereals.

However, on any mission that doesn't involve a small/very small-sized UFO (Small Scout, Medium Scout, or Large Scout), the Sectoids will have a Sectoid Leader in their ranks. This Leader is capable of Psionic attacks that can panic your troops or even bring them under alien control. In the early game when Sectoid sightings are most common, this can be devastating because X-COM has not yet researched psionics, and so is wide open to this type of warfare. The advantage for X-Com is that there will be a limited number of Leaders or Commanders in combat, and capture of either will allow research into the field of psionics.

On any Mission involving terror units, the Sectoids will be accompanied by the formidable Cyberdisc, which adds another degree of complexity and difficulty to the situation. "

Offline pWWWa

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:17 am »
Alternate Plasma Hit Animation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:59:43 am by pWWWa »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2015, 12:50:23 am »
Nice, they certainly look more intimidating than a normal sectoid fighting au natural, I take it they'll have a good bit more armor than normal sectoids as if you blow, shout at or do virtually anything to normal ones they'll die most of the time even with your starting weapons. IMHO the normal psionic ability of leaders/commanders doesn't quite balance out their physical fraility. However if you change their frality too much are you not taking away from their ufopedia description:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Sectoid

"Low Threat: Sectoid
Sectoid

The Sectoids are usually the first alien you'll see. They resemble the "Greys" spoken of by New Age types and the X-Files television show: short humanoids with pale skin, elfin features and large, almond-shaped eyes. They are the only weapon carrying life-form that chooses to go naked into battle. This possibly psychological tactic does not appear effective, since it neither promotes a berserker style morale on their own part, nor do the sectoid size dangly bits appear to intimidate X-COM soldiers.

Sectoids are physically weak in combat. They have average mobility, no armor worth mentioning, and will fall easily to any weapon. Without their psi equipped Leaders and Commanders, they can be overcome with minimal risk. Be aware that Sectoids are on average more accurate shooters than floaters, and their ability to react is second to the Ethereals.

However, on any mission that doesn't involve a small/very small-sized UFO (Small Scout, Medium Scout, or Large Scout), the Sectoids will have a Sectoid Leader in their ranks. This Leader is capable of Psionic attacks that can panic your troops or even bring them under alien control. In the early game when Sectoid sightings are most common, this can be devastating because X-COM has not yet researched psionics, and so is wide open to this type of warfare. The advantage for X-Com is that there will be a limited number of Leaders or Commanders in combat, and capture of either will allow research into the field of psionics.

On any Mission involving terror units, the Sectoids will be accompanied by the formidable Cyberdisc, which adds another degree of complexity and difficulty to the situation. "

Well at the moment they basically are Sectoids, with 1 exception they have further increased PSi Powers and show up in Armor which is equal to Personal Armor.
Maybe i will give them a little bit more health also. But i ned to encounter them in a testrun first.

SIMON, as you can guess and since you love them so much, they will bring loads of the Blue Cyberdiscs. ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:57:50 am by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:19 am »

OMG!!!! TOTALLY AWESOME!
*NEED*!!!!!!

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2015, 12:52:38 am »

I like it maybe hellrazor will incoporate it into his mod.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:06 am »
I like it maybe hellrazor will incoporate it into his mod.

Already done, i use it for the Elerium Clips HitAnimation, for the Plasma Shotgun and the Plasma Sniper Rifle. I guess, i will also give it towards Heavy Plasma, the Armored Cyberdisc Weapon and Armored Sectopod Weapon.
To make them optically different then other weapons, since they do more damage.

Only things is the HitSound for the Elerium Clips. Need to find some custom Sounds for those also.

niculinux

« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:30 pm »
Already done, i use it for the Elerium Clips HitAnimation, for the Plasma Shotgun and the Plasma Sniper Rifle. I guess, i will also give it towards Heavy Plasma, the Armored Cyberdisc Weapon and Armored Sectopod Weapon.
To make them optically different then other weapons, since they do more damage.

Only things is the HitSound for the Elerium Clips. Need to find some custom Sounds for those also.

Thank you! Some little hints:

1) replace vanilla AR and pistol sprites without altering actual stats. Never stood them >.<

2) add a custom smg, uzi alike,it's a pity such weapon is missing widely usedin in '80 and mid '90 movies! Maybe modify the machine pistol mod actually resemble more a mac-10 than a uzi.

Concept idea:
(from wikipedia :D

3) Replace vanilla heavy and auto cannon with another pair, or at least change vanilla sprites. Maybe usin other mods :)eg. heavy cannon with mortar (!!!!) (Dioxine's one in Piratez) and auto canno with Riskelliny's light machine gun

4) Another skyranger door, like here ya kno it's frustrating whne all your soldiers get killed one by one while attempting to get on the ground! (very personal experience)

edit: some clues from new civilian's resources, CryptoCactus' and Dioxine ones :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:15:27 pm by niculinux »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:05 pm »
Thank you! Some little hints:

1) replace vanilla AR and pistol sprites without altering actual stats. Never stood them >.<

2) add a custom smg, uzi alike,it's a pity such weapon is missing widely usedin in '80 and mid '90 movies! Maybe modify the machine pistol mod actually resemble more a mac-10 than a uzi.

Concept idea:
(from wikipedia :D

3) Replace vanilla heavy and auto cannon with another pair, or at least change vanilla sprites. Maybe usin other mods :)eg. heavy cannon with mortar (!!!!) (Dioxine's one in Piratez) and auto canno with Riskelliny's light machine gun

4) Another skyranger door, like here ya kno it's frustrating whne all your soldiers get killed one by one while attempting to get on the ground! (very personal experience)

edit: some clues from new civilian's resources, CryptoCactus' and Dioxine ones :)

1.) Nope. I already use modified Sprites for those.

2.) Nope. I do not see a reason for such a weapon. Since the distance you would use those is already covered by Shotguns.

3.) Nope. I already use modified vanilla ones.

4.) Nope. It's good old Skyranger. So no modified Doors here, maybe add a improved researchable version which is faster.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:28:55 pm by hellrazor »

niculinux

« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2015, 10:59:34 pm »
OK, i was eager to see an uzi, sigh, potentially could have fit in the middle between the rifle and the pistol, a very few mods are implementing smg ok got to make a reason :D

Today tryed 0.93b and always got beeeaten for goood...very hard..well i always sucked at videogames  :'( really goood job!!!!!!!!!

Edit: to go real hardcore i'd take out the improved laser weapons, so that everything has to go clip-fueled. Thats's really all, over and out!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:30:52 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - Beta - v0.93b Cydonia or Bust Fix
« Reply #369 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:45 am »
Niculinux, can't you just make you own damn mod? With so much energy spent on all possible threads, trying to push your ideas, for a fraction of it you could write your own ruleset. >:(

niculinux

« Reply #370 on: August 29, 2015, 11:19:49 am »
Niculinux, can't you just make you own damn mod? With so much energy spent on all possible threads, trying to push your ideas, for a fraction of it you could write your own ruleset. >:(

Sry i don't know how even to start!  :-\  also i suppose i'm scr**** because there are no virtually (even simple) editing tools under linux, exept falko's ones which i tryed last night, but too difficult for newbies  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:27:14 am by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #371 on: August 29, 2015, 11:29:46 am »
Sry i don't know how even to start!  :-\

I've seen this quote from you many times. It's because you never tried. Because it's easier to pester other people to make stuff for you.

I can understand suggestion or criticism. But it's not suggesting, it is demanding. "I want such-and-such feature, make it for me". You know what? No. Neither Hellrazor, nor me, nor Hobbes, nor anyone else will cater to your specific desires.

Do you honestly expect that us modders were born with the knowledge? That we were spoonfed by the devs, or our mothers? No, we had to open the vanilla ruleset, read the Ufopaedia.org, ask each other, and first and foremost learn by doing. Some attempts were horrible, but you can't have everything from the start. That's the value of work, of perseverance.

Openxcom is probable the easiest game to mod I've ever seen, and adding a weapon is one of the most basic mods you can think of. Take some ready-made mod which adds a weapon, there's a multitude of them, and change what you need. If you have trouble, ask questions and we'll help you, but read your sources first.

niculinux

« Reply #372 on: August 29, 2015, 11:38:20 am »
I've seen this quote from you many times. It's because you never tried. Because it's easier to pester other people to make stuff for you.

I can understand suggestion or criticism. But it's not suggesting, it is demanding. "I want such-and-such feature, make it for me". You know what? No. Neither Hellrazor, nor me, nor Hobbes, nor anyone else will cater to your specific desires.

Do you honestly expect that us modders were born with the knowledge? That we were spoonfed by the devs, or our mothers? No, we had to open the vanilla ruleset, read the Ufopaedia.org, ask each other, and first and foremost learn by doing. Some attempts were horrible, but you can't have everything from the start. That's the value of work, of perseverance.

Openxcom is probable the easiest game to mod I've ever seen, and adding a weapon is one of the most basic mods you can think of. Take some ready-made mod which adds a weapon, there's a multitude of them, and change what you need. If you have trouble, ask questions and we'll help you, but read your sources first.

I agree, but politely wanted to state i'm not pretend anything  :) maybe i'm too much an xcom fan. For personal reason, won't have much time to spend learning, sory also please forgive if i may be too annoying, peraphs should post less on the forums, sorry if it may be annoyns for users.. Sry again guy, and thanks for the very hard work  :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #373 on: August 29, 2015, 01:22:49 pm »
OK, i was eager to see an uzi, sigh, potentially could have fit in the middle between the rifle and the pistol, a very few mods are implementing smg ok got to make a reason :D
As far as i understand the concept of Sub Machine Gun, it mostly used in at short range or inbetween medium and short Range. Most of the other Mods which do have this class of weapons do not use shotguns. A Shotgun has a high risk high reward tendency, get up close and deliver mostly instant death to your enemies (as long as the RNG god is on your side). I like shotguns much much more then SMG's, that is also one of the reasons i gave the Aliens the Plasmashotgun from chaosshades Weapon Mod.

Today tryed 0.93b and always got beeeaten for goood...very hard..well i always sucked at videogames  :'( really goood job!!!!!!!!!

Learn and adept, war is brutal and without error tolerance. If your dead your dead.

Edit: to go real hardcore i'd take out the improved laser weapons, so that everything has to go clip-fueled. Thats's really all, over and out!

The Laser weapons in my Mod are the vanilla ones, those were always without Clips. I added another Heavy Laser Type because it is needed for reasons (to be specific blue flying disc shaped reasoned ones).

I agree, but politely wanted to state i'm not pretend anything  :) maybe i'm too much an xcom fan. For personal reason, won't have much time to spend learning, sory also please forgive if i may be too annoying, peraphs should post less on the forums, sorry if it may be annoyns for users.. Sry again guy, and thanks for the very hard work  :)

The OpenXcom ruleset files, are in essence nothing more YAML files, and follow the syntax of this simple markup language. The files can be edited with any known texteditor.
Essential information about the Ruleset files and there possible commands can be found here and here.

You can also look at the vanilla ruleset to see how things are done. Usually the easiest way to start is with something very small. I myself for example started with something
very very simple, adding a autofire Option twoards the normal standard Tank here.

For linux their is a big variety of texteditors i myself use Vim - Vi Improved. Not a editor i would suggest for a beginner, but since i also use it for programming it is optimal for me.

Working on Graphics was something i was trying to avoid for a long time but at a certain point i realized that i simply could not avoid learning it, to get the stuff i wanted.
I had some help in the beginning from a variety of people. Usually people are eager to help, if you wanna learn something.

It was the same for editing Maps. Search for the tools, or ask around if you have trouble ask someone who might know.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #374 on: August 29, 2015, 01:26:19 pm »
Sry i don't know how even to start!  :-\  also i suppose i'm scr**** because there are no virtually (even simple) editing tools under linux, exept falko's ones which i tryed last night, but too difficult for newbies  :'(  :'(

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Samuel Beckett