aliens

Author Topic: [EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion -- General Feedback Thread  (Read 352694 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
You didn't tell me that the aliens throw grenades at you!!!!!! :(

I don't mind one or two, but the moment you step out of the skyranger seems a bit harsh. Is it possible to have the AI only throw them after say turn 2 or 3?

It is mentioned in the Readme as one of the features, and it is vanilla Original Game behaviour.
I advise to skip turn one, if there is no enemy directly visible and deploy a smoke grenade or two.
Also a tank is pretty good earlie on for scouting.

EDIT: On a second thought, i guess you had a alien armed with a Small Launcher firing at you with Elerium Bombs (90 Damage, same as a Alien Grenade). This not Vanilla.
Which is early on really one of the worst cases which you could get.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:10:46 pm by hellrazor »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Thought it was a good idea to have the tank here for cover until I realise it's stuck.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Found a possible bug/problem, the first floater base is up and going but the alien missions have another one for N Africa and the battleship heads straight for my base and the game crashes to the desktop. I could simply delete this mission from the save prior to the battleship appearing but I'm not sure what is causing this and I've tried this but it says the save file is corrupt and won't load it. Therefore I'm out of ideas and I can't get by this. Should just mention that I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 today if that would have any effect.

Here is what I think is causing the problem:

alienBases:
  - lat: -0.41806794061793517
    id: 1
    lon: 6.1846077819461218
    race: STR_FLOATER
    discovered: true
alienMissions:
  - uniqueID: 1
    type: STR_ALIEN_BASE
    spawnCountdown: 30
    nextUfoCounter: 0
    region: STR_NORTH_AFRICA
    nextWave: 6
    liveUfos: 4

Attached are saves prior to the battle ship appearing(geoscape) and one when it appears and the third one is with the mission deleted. I can still assault alien base 1 okay, using nightly 2015-07--27-1005

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Thought it was a good idea to have the tank here for cover until I realise it's stuck.

This is a know problem from the Terrainpack, it has been reported there a couple of times.
I have no clue when Hobbes will release a update.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Found a possible bug/problem, the first floater base is up and going but the alien missions have another one for N Africa and the battleship heads straight for my base and the game crashes to the desktop. I could simply delete this mission from the save prior to the battleship appearing but I'm not sure what is causing this and I've tried this but it says the save file is corrupt and won't load it. Therefore I'm out of ideas and I can't get by this. Should just mention that I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 today if that would have any effect.

Here is what I think is causing the problem:

alienBases:
  - lat: -0.41806794061793517
    id: 1
    lon: 6.1846077819461218
    discovered: true
alienMissions:
  - uniqueID: 1
    type: STR_ALIEN_BASE
    spawnCountdown: 30
    nextUfoCounter: 0
    region: STR_NORTH_AFRICA
    nextWave: 6
    liveUfos: 4

Attached are saves prior to the battle ship appearing(geoscape) and one when it appears and the third one is with the mission deleted. I can still assault alien base 1 okay, using nightly 2015-07--27-1005

Simon i just tested with your savegame, and i can fight the basedefense mission without any crash.
i used the following Mods:
Code: [Select]
mods:
  - xcom1
  - hardmode-expansion
  - hqsounds
  - Screening_Statstrings

You on the other hand have a whole list active:

Code: [Select]
mods:
  - xcom1
  - UFOextender_Gun_Melee
  - XcomUtil_High_Explosive_Damage
  - XcomUtil_Pistol_Auto_Shot
  - XcomUtil_Skyranger_Weapon_Slot
  - ARMOR STEALTH SUIT
  - BREACHING CHARGE 1.2
  - CROCODILE v2a
  - DROPSHIP
  - E SHOCKER reps STUN ROD
  - ENFORCER(XCOM)
  - EXTRA POCKETS
  - FLAMETHROWER
  - GAUSS MOD
  - HEATRAYS
  - IRONMAN SUIT
  - MASS ACCELERATOR
  - MORTAR TANK
  - NAYMORE
  - PERSONAL ARMOR VARIANTS
  - POWERGLOVE
  - SECTOPOD HWP6
  - SMALL ROCKET SMALL
  - STUNBLASTER
  - Stormrider
  - TRANQUILIZER
  - UGVs
  - hardmode-expansion
  - FireStorm
  - IMPROVED AVENGER
  - LongSkyrangerWithRearDoors
  - StatStrings
  - OXCE_4_Weapon_Aircraft
  - Training_Rooms
  - only-sleeping

I would first try to turn of the OpenXcomExtendedMods (->Training Rooms).
Best thing is you turn of one Mod after the other until you find the culprit.
I mentioning this again that my mod is intended to be used alone, but of course you can slap on any mods you like.
But i have no influence whatsoever what such a mod combination will do, but in general Mods which switched out graphics should work without problems.

EDIT: Anyway, i am going back into my bed since i just realized it 2:30 middle in the night. Fucking E-mail alerts...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:32:58 am by hellrazor »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Yep taking those three mods off allows the base defence mission to start, though I'll will likely get creamed
Spoiler:
(Floaters-ok, reapers-fine, sectoids-yikes, and cyberdiscs as well. No wonder you call this hardmode)
. Probably the training room mod in particular caused the issue. Had forgot they were still on as I had planned to play through the extended nightly but that didn't work out as I said before. Should have taken them off at that time but clean forgot about them. I knew about the tank issue already, it just makes you think about where you move your tank to until Hobbes fixes that issue. But in all seriousness many thanks for such a quick reply and solution.
Spoiler:
If your interested I've another graph done for openxcom in general that shows how cock eyed your shots can be vs the shot stated accuracy in the battlescape. Got the figures off ufopedia and tried to work out with a lot of boring maths for stated accuracy beyond 100%. In other words a shot of 150% stated accuracy shouldn't miss. I seen quite recently a good few shots of mine of 120% just missing the target
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:57:05 pm by SIMON »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Yep taking those three mods off allows the base defence mission to start, though I'll will likely get creamed
Spoiler:
(Floaters-ok, reapers-fine, sectoids-yikes, and cyberdiscs as well. No wonder you call this hardmode).
Probably the training room mod in particular caused the issue. Had forgot they were still on as I had planned to play through the extended nightly but that didn't work out as I said before. Should have taken them off at that time but clean forgot about them. I knew about the tank issue already, it just makes you think about where you move your tank to until Hobbes fixes that issue. But in all seriousness many thanks for such a quick reply and solution.
Spoiler:
If your interested I've another graph done for openxcom in general that shows how cock eyed your shots can be vs the shot stated accuracy in the battlescape. Got the figures off ufopedia and tried to work out with a lot of boring maths for stated accuracy beyond 100%. In other words a shot of 150% stated accuracy shouldn't miss. I seen quite recently a good few shots of mine of 120% just missing the target

Glad you got it running :)
Simon if you do not mind, could you please put the section were you described which aliens you did encounter into a spoiler field?
Players should not be aware of what is coming towards them in this regard.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:43:05 pm by hellrazor »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Have modified the original message now, forgot to do that. Boy my memory's getting worse. I have also put a thread in the TOOLS section with all of the spreadsheets.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Have modified the original message now, forgot to do that. Boy my memory's getting worse. I have also put a thread in the TOOLS section with all of the spreadsheets.

Thank you for that :)
I actually had a quick look at the graphics, lets say interesting, very interesting.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Just one point, would your reply @ 9.36.55 am not need to hide the information as well, I don't seem to be able to modify it obviously. Unless other people wont be able to see that.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Just one point, would your reply @ 9.36.55 am not need to hide the information as well, I don't seem to be able to modify it obviously. Unless other people wont be able to see that.

Yep your right, totally forgot :> Thanks.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Ruleset Adaptation done, i hereby release:

Please use newest Nightly, or at least Nightly Version: openxcom_git_master_2015_07_28_1355

Version 0.91

- Fix some UfoPaedia Strings (typos etc.)
 - Fix Alloy Cannon infinite Ammo
 - Fix Alloy Cannon Rounds Alloy cost and Clipsize
 - Added UfoPaedia Picture for the Alloy Cannon (by MicktheMage)
 - Added a Airfield towards Military Base Terrorsitedeployment
 - Adapted Ruleset towards changes of openxcom_git_master_2015_07_28_1355

Modportal Link

Readme attached here

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [Beta][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.91 - Adapted for missionscripting
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2015, 01:36:26 am »
A small spoiler, towards one of the Enemies you encounter on Cydonia:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:39:35 am by hellrazor »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2015, 02:42:59 am »
Spoiler:
Had already looked at the stats in the rul file, that's why psionics are going to be limited vs them. Per the graphs I worked out at best at visual range your maximum chance to successfully mc them=73%, 100% if you let them close to 5 squares. I would definately be using a lot of motion scanners vs them. I tweaked the motion scanner's tu use away down as per "Hudson in Aliens", it shouldn't take anywhere near 25% of your total time units to look at and interpret a motion scanner. Well that's MHO. Just did my first successful terror site and it went better than expected, only two ugv's as casualties, though most of the civvies were creamed

Perhaps you could advise me on this one as I don't want to risk corrupting my current game. I wouldn't mind upgrading from v0.90 to v0.91 but I realise that I would have to upgrade from nightly 2015-07-27-1005 as well. If I did that should my current saves work okay or would you have to start a new game?

Still haven't tackled the first base yet but using gauss mod 1.8 is leveling the playing field at the moment though cyberdiscs still take a good pounding. Will hopefully tackle it soon enough as I want to start trying to get live captures, maybe when I get the stealth suit armors.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2015, 02:48:39 am »
Spoiler:
Had already looked at the stats in the rul file, that's why psionics are going to be limited vs them. Per the graphs I worked out at best at visual range your maximum chance to successfully mc them=73%, 100% if you let them close to 5 squares. I would definately be using a lot of motion scanners vs them. I tweaked the motion scanner's tu use away down as per "Hudson in Aliens", it shouldn't take anywhere near 25% of your total time units to look at and interpret a motion scanner. Well that's MHO. Just did my first successful terror site and it went better than expected, only two ugv's as casualties, though most of the civvies were creamed

Perhaps you could advise me on this one as I don't want to risk corrupting my current game. I wouldn't mind upgrading from v0.90 to v0.91 but I realise that I would have to upgrade from nightly 2015-07-27-1005 as well. If I did that should my current saves work okay or would you have to start a new game?

Still haven't tackled the first base yet but using gauss mod 1.8 is leveling the playing field at the moment though cyberdiscs still take a good pounding. Will hopefully tackle it soon enough as I want to start trying to get live captures, maybe when I get the stealth suit armors.

I did not notice any problems in my testrun, while upgrading to the new Nightly, but make sure you get the newest one, since there were a couple of bugfixes already, due to the fact of introducing the Missionscript.