Author Topic: [EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion -- General Feedback Thread  (Read 352708 times)

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion -- General Feedback Thread
« Reply #825 on: October 10, 2021, 02:24:36 pm »
I've become so well enamoured with the mod again that I've gone ahead and started making a wiki page for it on ufopedia. I'm slowly adding content to it but if anyone wants to browse or help, go on ahead.

For the 3 people who browse this anyway. 

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Hardmode

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #826 on: October 11, 2021, 03:11:21 pm »
I've become so well enamoured with the mod again that I've gone ahead and started making a wiki page for it on ufopedia. I'm slowly adding content to it but if anyone wants to browse or help, go on ahead.

For the 3 people who browse this anyway. 

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Hardmode

Awesome. Thank you for doing this.

I should really work on a update.

My girlfriend had a brainstroke and this is now not easy at all. Life is sometimes fucking you harder then any mod...

EDIT.: Sadly I can not remember my password for the ufopaedia.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:51:12 pm by hellrazor »

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 11, 2021, 03:57:04 pm »
Awesome. Thank you for doing this.

I should really work on a update.

My girlfriend had a brainstroke and this is now not easy at all. Life is sometimes fucking you harder then any mod...

EDIT.: Sadly I can not remember my password for the ufopaedia.

No problem, I've been able to peruse the ufopaedia via just looking at the game files from the mod, I've mostly used it to give flavour text for some of the wiki pages, like what the 'technical' objectives of certain UFO classes are for.

If you do make an update, my troops would appreciate less industrial/island/ship terror missions and more vanilla ones  :)

I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend, I've worked with people who live with the condition and I can understand the long term implications and difficulties in the rehabilitation process. I can only wish you and her the best in the recovery process.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #828 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:28 pm »
No problem, I've been able to peruse the ufopaedia via just looking at the game files from the mod, I've mostly used it to give flavour text for some of the wiki pages, like what the 'technical' objectives of certain UFO classes are for.

If you do make an update, my troops would appreciate less industrial/island/ship terror missions and more vanilla ones  :)

I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend, I've worked with people who live with the condition and I can understand the long term implications and difficulties in the rehabilitation process. I can only wish you and her the best in the recovery process.

I really like the Ufopaedia stuff and also the flavor text :)
I added the Ufopaedia entry to my documentation and the Modpage on mod.io.

Still have to find out who can give me a new password for my ufopaedia account.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 12, 2021, 05:48:59 pm »
I would start with SupSuper. If he can't, he likely can at least point you in the right direction.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 12, 2021, 06:03:26 pm »
When you try to log in there is a "Forgot your password?" link. Does that not work for you?

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 13, 2021, 09:31:48 am »
I really like the Ufopaedia stuff and also the flavor text :)
I added the Ufopaedia entry to my documentation and the Modpage on mod.io.

That's most excellent, I'll have to redouble my efforts to flesh out the other pages.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #832 on: October 13, 2021, 12:23:21 pm »
When you try to log in there is a "Forgot your password?" link. Does that not work for you?

Jeah i found it.

I would start with SupSuper. If he can't, he likely can at least point you in the right direction.

That was the way to go.
Now i am able to login into the Ufopaedia :)

That's most excellent, I'll have to redouble my efforts to flesh out the other pages.

I like the flavor texts :)

Offline Steelpoint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 14, 2021, 08:52:49 pm »
Jeah i found it.

That was the way to go.
Now i am able to login into the Ufopaedia :)

I like the flavor texts :)

Thank you.

I'm slowly grinding my way though, I'm just focusing more so on the basic information, I've left room for a brief strategy guide for later down the track but at the moment I think its best to keep things to the facts.

If someone wants to lookup how effective a gun is, or what a certain enemy does, it should be on the wiki.

Of course all this wiki work has made me appreciate not only the amount of effort that's gone into the mod. But how god damn terrifying Chrysalid Spitters are, one shot zombification from across the room is nasty.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #834 on: October 15, 2021, 03:03:10 pm »
Thank you.

I'm slowly grinding my way though, I'm just focusing more so on the basic information, I've left room for a brief strategy guide for later down the track but at the moment I think its best to keep things to the facts.

Since my Ufopaedia account is now working, I look at finished articles and make small corrections if I find something wrong/msileading if you do not mind. ;)

If someone wants to lookup how effective a gun is, or what a certain enemy does, it should be on the wiki.

Ineed that is important.

Of course all this wiki work has made me appreciate not only the amount of effort that's gone into the mod. But how god damn terrifying Chrysalid Spitters are, one shot zombification from across the room is nasty.

They are nasty indeed.

I might consider to actually convert to mod to OXCE, there some interesting things, like having countries rejoin X-Com after alien bases, which made the pact is defeated and interrupting infiltration missions. Even thou i really really do not want to deviate from vanilla principles.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 15, 2021, 07:30:40 pm »
I might consider to actually convert to mod to OXCE, there some interesting things, like having countries rejoin X-Com after alien bases, which made the pact is defeated and interrupting infiltration missions. Even thou i really really do not want to deviate from vanilla principles.
I'd recommend doing it, and this is coming from the author of the only other megamod in the community to dedicate to OXC. Even in Faithful, I added a few OXCE features just because there were things I felt the mod needed that couldn't be done otherwise. Faithful still maintains balance centered on OXC as much as possible but runs about the same if not better in OXCE just because OXCE really is generally superior.

When I finally upgraded to OXCE, I rebranded my mod as Harmony and left Faithful where it was. The inspiration I got from reading the ruleset reference and seeing all the new options available to me led to Harmony's additions on top of Faithful being two or three times as extensive as Faithful itself. You could do likewise perhaps, make a Hardmode 2 or something, leave Hardmode to function in OXC and move on into OXCE. I promise you that you will not ever look back.

- - -

I was also thinking back on our chat about the difficulty of the mod. I think you said your mod wasn't difficult enough because of how it stacks up against some of the other mods in the community, and I said those mods are also really difficult, I said Hardmode is definitely a really difficult mod. But I remembered that you once said the mod is only designed to be played on Superhuman difficulty, so I was thinking perhaps you could flesh out the difficulty ranges and design the mod to be played on all five difficulties, ranging from hard (Beginner) to crushingly difficult (Veteran) to absolutely nightmarish (Superhuman). People could still enjoy the mod, but nobody would ever say it was too easy. I've had a fair bit of experience with difficulty settings and tweaks, so I can offer you some help on that either here or on Discord if you're interested.

But fair warning: modding in OXCE quickly gets addictive! If you're limited on available time, you might think twice about it, or at least pace yourself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:43:08 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #836 on: October 17, 2021, 07:19:01 am »
I'd recommend doing it, and this is coming from the author of the only other megamod in the community to dedicate to OXC. Even in Faithful, I added a few OXCE features just because there were things I felt the mod needed that couldn't be done otherwise. Faithful still maintains balance centered on OXC as much as possible but runs about the same if not better in OXCE just because OXCE really is generally superior.

Well there is definitely a lot of Quality of Live stuff in OXCE. The craft and soldier equipment templates for example, i do not even wanna play without those any more :D.
What it still lacks is a better financial overview, but I have not checked the newest version. Lot of shit going on.

When I finally upgraded to OXCE, I rebranded my mod as Harmony and left Faithful where it was. The inspiration I got from reading the ruleset reference and seeing all the new options available to me led to Harmony's additions on top of Faithful being two or three times as extensive as Faithful itself. You could do likewise perhaps, make a Hardmode 2 or something, leave Hardmode to function in OXC and move on into OXCE. I promise you that you will not ever look back.

To some degree I am actually thankful to Hobbes, forcing me to remove those globe terrains (I still have those archived on my disc for personal use, I wish he could just accept them.. sign...). I basically have a clean mod now on which I can work on the core stuff.
I think i did a job at changing the economy and the research, these two components will smack the player in its face on a regular basis, you will face financial problems and the question of what to research next.
The Economy eases up a little bit when the player starts producing Laser Canons and is gaining some independence from the funding countries.

Also you must keep the number of alien bases in check, they tend to multiplicate, I guess technically I could add Hunter Outposts, once a alien base exists for a specific time, it will start hunting X-Com crafts, flying near by or so?
I also saw that it is now possible to spawn VIP's, which can be recovered. Rescue these two Egg Heads or so.

I was also thinking back on our chat about the difficulty of the mod. I think you said your mod wasn't difficult enough because of how it stacks up against some of the other mods in the community, and I said those mods are also really difficult, I said Hardmode is definitely a really difficult mod. But I remembered that you once said the mod is only designed to be played on Superhuman difficulty, so I was thinking perhaps you could flesh out the difficulty ranges and design the mod to be played on all five difficulties, ranging from hard (Beginner) to crushingly difficult (Veteran) to absolutely nightmarish (Superhuman). People could still enjoy the mod, but nobody would ever say it was too easy. I've had a fair bit of experience with difficulty settings and tweaks, so I can offer you some help on that either here or on Discord if you're interested.

But fair warning: modding in OXCE quickly gets addictive! If you're limited on available time, you might think twice about it, or at least pace yourself.

Well the thing is, for example i would never be playing Piratez. Personal choice. I found the Final Mod Pack a bit slapped together, with things that really did not make sense, especially some research stuff.
Also I never liked the weapon designs. Designing weapons and their use cases and usage limitations is something very important. I am not a fan of weapons, were you can only shoot or move in one turn. Or being forced to have only single shot weapons, because some people played too much with UFO Extender Accuracy and think weapons with autoshots are a disgrace.

I think Hardmode can also be played on lower difficulty settings, without issues. Even thou maybe it is then harder for the player to balance the economy (reduced loot income), would require test (testing takes along time...)

You can add 100.000 useable Items/Weapons to a mod and call it a day, or you go and add specific Items/Weapons, which each has a unique use case.
What is the big difference you may ask?

Look at the Final Mod Pack or Piratez for example. There is so many "clutter" weapons in the bank of those mods. Not all of them have a unique use case.
So what happens? If it does not have a unique use case, or a easily to determine advantage for the player, it will never be used and stays "clutter".

To be honest I so far in all those years, I never finished playing my own mod, ey i gotten to November and now i being pummeled by Muton Elites. I did go a little bit overboard with having 6 strike teams and the entire shit of moving equipment around keeping track of ammo, restocking items base management got a little bit crazy.

I mean there are certain people, who really seem to like my mod and I am wondering why (the main purpose was to build a player torture machine... so many masochists out there :D)

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 17, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
I mean there are certain people, who really seem to like my mod and I am wondering why (the main purpose was to build a player torture machine... so many masochists out there :D)

I heard feedback that it is a good way to learn how to play OXC right.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #838 on: October 17, 2021, 11:51:19 pm »
I heard feedback that it is a good way to learn how to play OXC right.

Really? Thats sounds nice. Never considered that there is a teaching aspect actually.
Please elaborate.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 18, 2021, 01:03:12 am »
Well, there is a hardcore OXC Russian-speaking streamer, Evil_bl (https://www.twitch.tv/evil_bl) that plays many mods SH/IM, and do it very well. I usually use his opinion for balance purposes, as he is able to find any abuse, that is presented in the game, or even a little unbalanced thing. So I watch him, look at what he is doing and think if I can nerf this effective tactic  :P

Tho he streams in Russian, he is very welcome for English-speakers and would answer in English. So you can ask himself, he streams very often.

He recently said that is you want to learn playing OXC well, you should finish Hardmod (I think he recommended Veteran, but not sure).