aliens

Author Topic: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9j) Finished:Incomplete (52 episodes)  (Read 137203 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9g) Now with Scoreboard & Custom Music!!!
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2015, 05:38:56 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom PirateZ! Ep #018: Gotta Catch em All! 

or PirateZ Smokemon!! ;)

Also:

Moar Pirate Limericks by Ivan. XD
"The tale of three Pirate Lasses,
Who showered a G.O. with Bashes,
  Though swing as they might
  The damage was slight
Til the dartgun sent him to catches."

Cheers, Ivan :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:05:01 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play PirateZ! New Tech Poll!!
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2015, 04:50:41 pm »
Hey all!  Its that time again!  I have made alot of progress with research recently and am finally running through the topics that you helped me pick.

So I fired up a new poll:  Chose your top five please!

https://strawpoll.me/4300092

Cheers!
Ivan :D

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9g) Now with Limericks!!!
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2015, 06:57:05 pm »
There be no plastasteel capn? :o

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:08 pm »
 ;) We've already got 'er dun!

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »
Gud! Now we can manu...manfctr...minifra....COBLE EM UP DEM THINGIES!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2015, 09:32:03 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

Speaking of shanties, I prefer this one :) Polish shanties are even better but nobody would understand what they're about :)

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2015, 11:37:17 pm »
Isn't the nuclear fuel pretty important?  I remember you saying something earlier about it being a pretty valuable thing until you can start manufacturing it yourself.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:02 pm »
I don't think researching nuclear fuel allows you to manufacture it (although that might be possible later). You can also buy some unlike in vanilla, and in my experience there are quite a few UFOs that land in Piratez so you can get enough to keep the Bonaventura going.

The only tricky part is the very beginning when you might exhaust your initial supply (but should be able to afford buying a few units to get over the RNG hating you). I've actually had to sell a fair amount of nuclear fuel (to much profit!) in my current game.

Getting some armour to keep the gals alive is the highest priority to me. so they can get experience and get you an edge through more TUs for rushing and hitting things in melee. Then getting new guns since the starting ones aren't great against the armoured enemies.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2015, 12:24:16 am »
Yeah its a pretty much important research topic and a nessecity of manufacturing a boat load of things but unlike vanilla it is not hard to come by if you pick your targets (most UFOs here are making landings and carry muliple sets of engines) and you can buy it too as been said.

I am with Arthanor though, since Ivan has already researched a fair amount of ammo types he should focus on armor now.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2015, 01:11:20 am »
Less dying = more smashing! What's not to like? Even the basic Tac Vest helps a quite a bit with face tanking, which makes all the difference when breaching.

I've only listened up to ~16 so far, but here's some stuff I have found to work well:

Squad setup:
~2-4 breachers with the heaviest armour I can get (Currently Tac Armor). They lead the way and draw the fire.
~4-6 scouts with armor that allows good mobility (Currently Tac Vest). Most of the time if you spread well, you take shots to the face so even Tac Vests work well.
~2-4 support gals with guns (for reaction fire/taking out annoying unarmoured targets like those close to civilians) or flamethrowers (pretty good against personal armour), smoke armour and harpoon guns if possible to reach out and stun unarmoured hostages-to-be (mainly G.O.s and Hostesses)
2 snipers that stay on top of the bonny (you can place the smoke between them and the enemies instead of on top of them)
The crew: Everybody else, following up with whatever weapons are most suited to them.

The breachers and scouts usually will not stay in smoke too long and are more worried about tanking shots. The support gals however will often stay a bit behind in smoky areas and rarely come under fire (since the scouts and breachers will get targetted) so smoke armour works well.

Another thing: Most enemies will survive one gun shot, so you can do things like: shoot them with a support gal or pistol, rush them and punch them until they drop, then let the "sweep crew" come up and use bandages/boozes to cure fatal wounds so they don't die on you. This way, you reduce the amount of stun damage that you have to do up close, so your gals are more likely to be able to stun and run for cover than to be stranded next to a standing enemy.

Edit: Oh man.. just finished #16.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:36:10 am by Arthanor »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2015, 02:21:07 am »
Edit: Oh man.. just finished #16.  :'(

:'(

Thanks for all the great tips and Discussion!

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2015, 03:11:56 pm »
Arthanor I use the two snipper setup on the Bonny too. Consider adding a mortar battery gal to it :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2015, 03:36:10 pm »
Whenever I can afford it! Mortar ammo is not cheap!

My sniper rifle gal keeps a grenade launcher in her backpack for heavier enemies, but the range on that is a bit short.

@Ivan: if I get the Statstrings mod fixed up, do you think you would use it? Providing something for your LP might be the incentive I need to take a break from pillaging ;)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »
@Ivan: if I get the Statstrings mod fixed up, do you think you would use it? Providing something for your LP might be the incentive I need to take a break from pillaging ;)

Thanks for the offer!  I actually am running my own version of it at the moment  (I use slightly different letter schema for my stats, but I used some of your great ideas).  I show it off in todays episode.  I increased the customization a bit for Monday's ep too (my first actual .exe that I compiled on my own).  I added in flashing health bar, and manufacturing profitability. :)