Author Topic: [WIP] New Alien Race: Scorpoids  (Read 6164 times)

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
[WIP] New Alien Race: Scorpoids
« on: March 29, 2015, 12:50:35 pm »
Hi everyone!  Okay, so as you already may (or may not) know, I'm the current curator of Rockfish's Weapon Rework/Expansion Mod but I have another ambition for the game to make it more challenging for myself (and others.)  I'm kinda tight-lipped about the aliens right now but I'm working on everything in the background so I don't want to say anything spoilery until I can post a buggy WIP.

I'm putting in some new aliens that are real jerks but I'm desperately in need of a graphical artist to help me.  Please contact me if you're interested in helping!  I'm on the IRC channel a lot but you can contact me on the forum via PMs if that works better for you.

What needs to be done:
Four UFOpaedia sprites (two live aliens and two autopsies)
One Battlescape sprite (possibly two, depending upon how annoyed I get w/ my own artwork)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:48:33 pm by chaosshade »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
Re: New Alien Race: Scorpoids
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:43 pm »
Okay, finally got around to uploading it.  I hope you guys have some fun with it.  Please post bugs as you find them.  It should behave w/ other mods just fine (it does on mine and I have a bunch loaded.)  I'm still in need of a graphical artist, please contact me if you're interested!

Current Version 0.1 https://www.openxcom.com/mod/scorpoid-alien

Known issues:
-Uknown if UFOpaedia entry works
-Sectopod used as stand-in for terror unit
-Recoloured Lobsterman sprite for Battlescape sprites

Lobsterman (C) Microprose

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WIP] New Alien Race: Scorpoids
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:22:00 am »
If you want to check if the Ufopaedia picture works:
- make sure you have debug enabled in the options.cfg file (should be debug: true)
- start or load the game as normal
- press Ctrl+D
- now all your Ufopaedia entries are visible.

Good luck with the race. :)

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:38:37 am »
It wouldn't really make a difference anyway, I don't even a pic for the UFOpaedia because I cannot art (see first post begging for help.)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:58:26 am »
Very impressive, I like the black lobstermen look but it does crash when u try to access the ufopedia directly or indirectly. They do take a severe pounding as 1 took @ least 10 hits from a mortar tank b4 dropping. I also created a new subfolder as u'll c in the attachment otherwise it wudn't load but as I said a very good start with lots of potential. I'll eagerly await u debugging this one.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 04:24:21 am »
Thanks for checking the UFOpaedia.  I think if you comment out the image requirement section for the UFOpaedia article you can at least get the text to display, or you can just go into the ruleset and check it, lol.  I'm REALLY sorry about the missing sub-folder, I thought I'd packed it up properly when I zipped it.  It's fixed in the 0.2 release.

I don't really like the black lobsterman look myself, it kind of reminds me of a giant cockroach, lol.  I wish I could coax one of the graphical artists here into helping me (see first post.)  They're meant to be extra tough, I was tired of the aliens dying too easily, even on Superhuman.  I'll give you a hint, explosives are a total waste of ammunition on them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:51:20 am by chaosshade »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:08:57 pm »
Ur mod's coming along nicely but there were a few errors in the .rul file, letters that shud have been capitalised and not lower case, here is the altered .rul file. What I really like about them is that not only are they tough but unlike mutons or lobstermen not as easy to use psionics against. Well not until ur troops are psionic gods anyway and the campaign shud be all but over by then.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »
Thanks again, Simon!  You're really a big help w/ this.  A lot of the caps errors are because the shift key I normally hit on my keyboard doesn't work so great.  I was also trying to do this as fast as I could because, even though I like coding, I was eager to get the enemies implemented.  Once I can get the terror units working players will know a hellish terror unlike any other (w/ the possible exception of Chryssalids because everyone hates them)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »
No problem, I've designed 2 mods myself tho 1 needs openxcom extended but I used other people's graphics as I wudn't have a clue where to start. I'll attach them here, acid bomb won't work in normal openxcom as the damage type is 8. I like stunblaster tho u need the mod "batman" for the research and manufacturing.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:03:49 pm »
I'm admittedly not making any progress on this project... I can't do the artwork for the UFOpaedia myself, I've tried and it's really not good.  I'm desperately in need of an artist but I really don't want to beg if I can avoid it... if someone feels the urge to help me, please please PLEASE contact me!