Author Topic: OpenXcom Universal Patch  (Read 5663 times)

Offline timoteob

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
OpenXcom Universal Patch
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:34:38 pm »
The instructions for the OpenXcom Universal Patch says that it is included in the Windows installer.  Just for the sake of clarity, does that mean if I used the 64 bit archive I will have to apply this patch?

Also, I can't seem to find a list of the changes that the patch makes.  Does anyone know where I could find that information?

Thank you in advance,

Timoteob

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom Universal Patch
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:17:56 pm »
correct. the installer automatically downloads and applies the patch. if you're manually installing the 64 bit version AFTER running the installer, you're already good to go, otherwise, yes, you will need to download and apply it manually.

the universal patch is 90% identical to Zombie's patch for the original, found on strategycore. in addition to all the fixes made there, are some small, openxcom-specific fixes that are too boring to go into detail over. basically it fixes a large number of small issues in the vanilla map data.

all this said, i recommend grabbing the nightly build over the 64-bit version 1.0. there is no performance gain for using 64-bit vs 32-bit, but there are considerable improvements in the nightly that are well worth it.

Offline timoteob

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »
all this said, i recommend grabbing the nightly build over the 64-bit version 1.0. there is no performance gain for using 64-bit vs 32-bit, but there are considerable improvements in the nightly that are well worth it.

Thanks for the info.

So I should

1.  Download and run the Windows installer which includes the Universal Patch.
2.  Unzip the latest nightly archive into my OpenXcom folder

or ..

1.  Download and unzip Windows 32-bit ZIP Archive
2.  Download and unzip the Universal Patch unto the OpenXcom folder
3.  Unzip the latest nightly archive into my OpenXcom folder

Any idea if the save from the 64 bit version will work?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:43:12 pm »
yes, either of those methods will work, and yes, the saves are completely compatible

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:20:53 am »
Thanks for bringing this up, and thanks, Warboy, for patiently clarifying it.   I didn't realize that the nightly wasn't patched.  I've been building directly from the nightly without starting with a 1.0 install.  I'll add the patch into my script. :)
Cheers!