aliens

Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux  (Read 79701 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2015, 08:50:35 pm »
Did you adjust the Psi Skill on psionic aliens, so they have the same Psi AS as in vanilla, or are they just MCing the shit out of the player?

Psi aliens have the same Psi Skill and Strength as vanilla. Non-psi aliens get a +50% boost on their Psi Strength.

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2015, 07:10:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for putting up with me the last few months,  We've finally reached the end!

Episode 107 "The End"

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2015, 07:25:02 pm »
Congratulations again :)

Nook, when you have time I'd like to ask you a few questions about the expansion so that I can get some feedback. Basically they are:
1) The nicest thing about Redux
2) Anything that stood out
3) The worst thing about Redux
4) What feature did you feel more connected to
5) Any detail not included in the above

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2015, 07:50:01 pm »
Congratulations again :)

Nook, when you have time I'd like to ask you a few questions about the expansion so that I can get some feedback. Basically they are:

I was just watching, not playing yet, but from what I've seen:
1/ Nicest thing for me were mixed crews (for example sectoids + floaters), that's really a great idea
2/ The firepower of the Overseer UFO really stood out (unless it was a bug)... and the "invulnerability" of the energy aliens
3/ Shrubs blocking craft exit in jungle
4/ I loved the concept of News Briefing... Nook didnt pay too much attention to it, but if you could somehow bring more story into the game, it would be so awesome... binding to research is probably the only way at the moment, but if it was possible to generate briefings also on a monthly basis (e.g. a briefing at the beginning of each month) and maybe also create a few one-time missions with unique briefings... that would just rock. I know it will be hard if not impossible to make them both interesting and relevant, because everyone's playstyle and game length is different, but I think it's worth a try.
5/ At some point I'll play Redux myself and give much more feedback

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2015, 09:00:06 pm »
I was just watching, not playing yet, but from what I've seen:
2/ The firepower of the Overseer UFO really stood out (unless it was a bug)... and the "invulnerability" of the energy aliens

The bug with the Overseer was when it stopping shooting, I hope I fixed it. The 'invulnerability' is just a matter of learning their weak spots :)

3/ Shrubs blocking craft exit in jungle

Fixed for 0.8.

4/ I loved the concept of News Briefing... Nook didnt pay too much attention to it, but if you could somehow bring more story into the game, it would be so awesome... binding to research is probably the only way at the moment, but if it was possible to generate briefings also on a monthly basis (e.g. a briefing at the beginning of each month) and maybe also create a few one-time missions with unique briefings... that would just rock. I know it will be hard if not impossible to make them both interesting and relevant, because everyone's playstyle and game length is different, but I think it's worth a try.

Yeah, right now News Briefs are basically fluff text with no consequence in the game.
I've discussed with the devs to see if it was possible to script 'events', which would allow what you are describing and add a proper news ticker, but understandably this is not a priority. But the one-time missions with unique briefings are already implemented, although you haven't really seen them in Nook's Let's Play.

5/ At some point I'll play Redux myself and give much more feedback

Wait for 0.8 (should be released in the next days) - in several things (new missions & aliens) there's a quantum leap over this version. :)

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2015, 04:26:21 am »

1- The mixed crews are great, and it's nice having a race like the Overlords in there to add a little variety to the later part of the game, it gets us away from Heavy Plasma/Blaster Launchering everything.
The other is the variety of maps... I used to get so tired of seeing another farm towards the end of the game, some of the newer ones you've made for the 0.7 special missions look fantastic.

2- The mission with the cultist map I had early on was great, I wish I had gotten more of those "special missions".  I think those are what makes the mod unique.

3- It's a long game, by the time I got to the end (1.5years) I was ready to move on to something else.  Once I hit 2000 all I was getting were retaliation missions, nothing new until that Overseer finally showed up.

4- I'm with Meridian on the New Reports, I think it's a great idea and could be a really great addition, but as it was/is now it's basically just a wall of stories that don't really add much.  Is it possible to add one of two into the monthly report? 

5- I know the Psi was a bit out of whack for this version, but I kinda liked it.  Something that always bugged me about the original game is how easy it gets towards the end.  As soon as things started getting easier for me (once I FINALLY got plasma tech) that's when the psi came out and started hitting hard.  It forced me to play the game and not just walk through the crash sites (as it would normally have been). 

Of all the times I've played through UFO it was one of the most enjoyable playthroughs I've had, and some of the stuff you've got in there for 0.7 (oo0h 0.8!?) looks fantastic.  I'll be eagerly awaiting Meridians LP ;)