Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux  (Read 89614 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:24 pm »
Well I gave it a heck of a go and I think I had managed to defeat about half the aliens but I was almost out of explosives that wud even damage them so I reloaded from the start of the mission and aborted.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2015, 11:10:10 pm »
Well I gave it a heck of a go and I think I had managed to defeat about half the aliens but I was almost out of explosives that wud even damage them so I reloaded from the start of the mission and aborted.

If you send me the game saved before the mission (on Geoscape) I may be able to substitute the race with a proper one.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2015, 11:16:25 pm »
I already have went into the save file and deleted the "commander guard" missions, nxt crash sites have been a small scout-floater and large scout-floater which I just started so I'll see how it goes and let u know if there r any more probs. Like I haven't even got laser weapons yet so it was a case of I might have well been using a pea shooter rather than rifles vs the aliens in that screwed up mission.

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2015, 11:37:50 pm »
More Miniguns, RPGs, and Cowards!

UFO Redux: Episode 12

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2015, 11:45:00 pm »
I already have went into the save file and deleted the "commander guard" missions, nxt crash sites have been a small scout-floater and large scout-floater which I just started so I'll see how it goes and let u know if there r any more probs. Like I haven't even got laser weapons yet so it was a case of I might have well been using a pea shooter rather than rifles vs the aliens in that screwed up mission.

Actually I just checked with Warboy and this is working as it should, since the alienRetaliation flag only applies to the monthly retaliation missions and not the ones generated when you shoot down UFOs. So you must have shot down one UFO carrying the Commander Guard crew and the alien Commander got mad enough and ordered a retaliation mission using its elite guard. This is as intended actually: mess with the bull, get the horn.

This can lead to situations where Cultists/Mercenaries can appear on retaliation missions, although with the current version it is more likely that you won't have time to intercept them before they land, plus a single missile shot can completely destroy their transports. These retaliation missions are not intended but at the moment there isn't a way to prevent them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:46:54 pm by Hobbes »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2015, 01:46:56 am »
Into early May atm, haven't got laser/plasma weapons yet or been able to manufacture Omega weapons but really like the alloy weapons like the AAC and AMC (from the alloy weapons mod) so I'm holding my own atm. From looking @ xcom intelligence Snakemen & Chrysallids are entering the fight this month. I must say this mod is quite awesome as my second terror site there was Sectoids, Floaters and both their associated TU'S. It's very refreshing to have these mixed races missions. So thanks again to both urself and the author of the fore mentioned mod. I also do have gauss weapons and in my current Sectoid terror ship crash site I downed a cyberdisc in 2 shots with a gauss sniper rifle.
 A couple of final points, firstly does research take longer to get access to the better weaponry etc and is the secret based on the more live captures the better. Secondly and this may not be the right place to ask this but what the heck. I'm using openxcom extended and my own minor mod acid bomb works a treat so I'm thinking of improving it by creating an improved acid bomb in the same mod involving Celatids as part of the research/manufacture but something occurred to me today when I looked up the xcom .rul file. If Celatids spit acid/venom why do they take 160% damage from such weapons ie damage type 8 as surely they shud be resilent or else immune to such substances?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2015, 02:35:37 am »
Into early May atm, haven't got laser/plasma weapons yet or been able to manufacture Omega weapons but really like the alloy weapons like the AAC and AMC (from the alloy weapons mod) so I'm holding my own atm.

I considered adding Alloy clips at certain stage but they're too close to lasers regarding power and there's already the Omega Weapons for improved conventional. I'm not a fan of adding several extra weapons tiers since to me that has the side effect of confusing the player, and the additional options usually don't add any real variety other than differences in weapon power.

A couple of final points, firstly does research take longer to get access to the better weaponry etc and is the secret based on the more live captures the better.

I better put this into spoiler tags:
Spoiler:
Research time for all topics has been increased by a factor of 1.5 (originally it was twice but I decided to ease off a bit due to how hard it can be to get advanced weapons).

My original intention was to use XComUtil's Research Help from Captured Aliens setting, where each rank will reduce the number of hours need for specific projects by a percentage, which is close to what you describe (the more captures the better). Unfortunately this is impossible to achieve with the vanilla OXC, so I simply added a new alien rank (Scientist) and made certain key topics dependent on interrogating specific ailen ranks:
* Alien Scientist unlocks Plasma Pistol, Hyperwave Decoder, Psi Lab, Blaster Bomb and UFO Construction
* Alien Engineer unlocks UFO Power Source
* Alien Navigator unlocks UFO Navigation
* Alien Medic unlocks Small Launcher and Mind Probe
* Laser Weapons can be unlocked either by the Omega Scientist or by recovering one of the Omega laser weapons
* Plasma Pistol can also be unlocked by the MJ12 Scientist
* Omega Weapons require either recover a copy of all weapons (around 13 different ones, which can only be found on the specific Armory building) or the specific data disk (on another specific building).
* Omega Weapons, Thunderstorm, Improved HWPs and Combat Armor data disks can only be recovered from the 1st month, but you can't get all of them since only 2 or 3 of those disks appear on the Merc Base mission. I might add more data disks in the future like improved craft weapons or even alloy ammo to this mission, since I like how that you don't know what you'll can get from that mission and it limits to amount of extra stuff.

But the real reason why it's harder to develop advanced weapons is because of the limited opportunities for captures:
* Alien Scientists only appear on Harvesters, Abductors and Battleships on Infiltration, Harvest and Abductions missions.
* Omega Scientist only appears on the 1st month, and it is quite possible to miss that mission, unless you're using the starting Darkstar to complement your radar (since that mission always appears near your starting base.
* MJ12 Scientist (and the Omega lasers) missions are only generated on the Pacific/North Atlantic areas, so you'll need to cover those areas otherwise you'll miss them.

Secondly and this may not be the right place to ask this but what the heck. I'm using openxcom extended and my own minor mod acid bomb works a treat so I'm thinking of improving it by creating an improved acid bomb in the same mod involving Celatids as part of the research/manufacture but something occurred to me today when I looked up the xcom .rul file. If Celatids spit acid/venom why do they take 160% damage from such weapons ie damage type 8 as surely they shud be resilent or else immune to such substances?

You need to ask the developers of the original game for that :) For some reason they decided to group the Celatids with the unarmored humans, Sectoids and Floaters in the same damage modifiers.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:39:33 am by Hobbes »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2015, 12:43:48 am »
Up Next, We visit the Desert Southwest and find some snake folks!

Episode 13

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »
Time for a new News Briefing...

Episode 14

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2015, 03:16:34 am »
More Snakemen causing trouble in the Americas, as long as they keep their terror friends away we'll be fine...

Episode 15

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:48 pm »
Good job on the minigun kill for you latest Episode (16). That was sweet!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:25:11 pm by jgatkinsn »

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2015, 09:23:59 pm »
I'm not sure if you've gotten the problem under control already, but just to remind you one more time;

Don't forget that your soldiers can run/sprint!

Because I've seen you mess up multiple times due to a lack of time units already.  :P

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2015, 01:30:49 am »
Good job on the minigun kill for you latest Episode (16). That was sweet!
lol, ever since I first saw the minigun I've been wanting to get a kill like that in :)

I'm not sure if you've gotten the problem under control already, but just to remind you one more time;

Don't forget that your soldiers can run/sprint!

Because I've seen you mess up multiple times due to a lack of time units already.  :P

It took me a bit to get used to it, but I think I've finally gotten the hang of it these last few episodes.

Here's Episode 16...

Episode 16 "Execution by Minigun"

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2015, 03:29:56 pm »
Snakeman / Floater combos,  plus some very cool new terrains this time.

Episode 17

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2015, 11:28:00 am »
Just a minor point I noticed in my current game regarding the research & manufacture of clipped laser weapons. For the pistol, rifle and heavy I noticed that u can manufacture them as soon as u research the weapon even tho u still have the research topic(s) for their respective clips available. Shud u not need to have the respective clip researched as well b4 u can manufacture them. Am I right on this point or am I seeing probs where none exist? Using redux v0.52 atm. Attached is my latest geoscape save.