Author Topic: Ubuntu Version  (Read 8184 times)

Offline UpAllNight

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Ubuntu Version
« on: March 15, 2015, 04:44:38 pm »
I don't understand how I can use the UBUNTU download when I need to have the "official" game on my system already, and that  isn't possible. I went through the instructions, input the three instruction lines, and, as one would expect, the last instruction line came back with file not found, or something like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu Version
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:01:31 pm »
Its because OpenXcom is new executable not new game. You need data from original game to run it.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:02:45 pm »
You'll need to install Xcom on a windows machine first.  Then copy the required folders over to your ubuntu machine in the proper location where the "data" folder is located.

All platforms
Copy the original resources (specifically the GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO, UNITS subfolders) to OpenXcom's Data folder (usually the "data" subfolder). Do not just drag/copy your whole X-COM folder into the Data folder, it won't work. It should end up like this:
data
GEODATA
GEOGRAPH
Language
MAPS
Resources
ROUTES
Ruleset
Shaders
SoldierName
SOUND
TERRAIN
UFOGRAPH
UFOINTRO
UNITS
If you do this incorrectly, you'll get an error about "X not found". For more specific instructions, check your platform below.

You can use a program like "WinSCP" on windows to copy the files over to the ubuntu machine.

Offline UpAllNight

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 05:14:24 pm »
Thanks for the rapid response.  :)
I'll give it a try.

Offline UpAllNight

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 05:34:37 pm »
 jgatkinsn I got the game on my Windows machine from Steam, and I can't seem to find the actual "XCOM" data file. I did that because the XCOM CD I have would not load. Any suggestions?

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 06:05:01 pm »
You should look for:
Code: [Select]
{Steam}\steamapps\common\XCom UFO Defense
At least I have installed there.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:33:37 pm »
Yeah.  Even though I replied on a PM, I'm copying what I wrote for others to see.

I don't know where the ubuntu package installs it, because I'm going personal builds in a location I know.  Once you located it on Windows, you can do the following to find it on ubuntu -

sudo find / -name openxcom -type d

sudo find / -name data -type d

The first one searches for a directory called "openxcom" on your system, and the second search looks for a  "data" folder.  Both you send you back a list of directories that match. 

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »
Well the Version which is in the ubuntu repositories is pretty old.
I used in once in beginning but quickly switched to git pull & self compile.

Since it is a game you maybe able to find data in /use/local/share/openxcom or so.

Offline UpAllNight

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 01:47:28 am »
Thanks everybody.  More frustrating then I thought it would be. :o
I will have to follow up on this tomorrow.
Again. Thanks to all of you.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 03:51:26 am »
Part of the problem is that it's not a native Linux program and requires another Windows program to be installed.  So, not a typical, "apt-get install".

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:53:10 am »
You pretty much always can find the location of a properly installed piece of software with the command "whereis", in this case meaning "whereis openxcom". However, the place of the data-folder is somewhere else. You can see the paths, openxcom is looking in for it, in one of the logs in the folder ~/.local/openxcom/. There is also one path not logged, inside users home folder. I just forgot its name... But by this means, every user can have his own version of data, with own selection of mods 'n stuff like that.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:45:59 am »
Part of the problem is that it's not a native Linux program and requires another Windows program to be installed.  So, not a typical, "apt-get install".

Sorry to correct you, but openxcom is opensource and by definition not bound to any particular Operating System whatsoever.
You can compile the github source code for yourself on your own machine independed of which Operating System you use.

You only need to have a compiler, make tools of some kind, the libraries required for openxcom (which are sdl stuff and yaml) and you can build it on your own.

The binary builts are of course bound to a specific plattform, but that doesn't matter as long as you can access the source code yourself and the program is designed in a way in which it run on multiple systems, in case of openxcom those are the SDL libraries which allow you to run it on nearly every plattform avaible.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 05:22:30 pm »
Sorry to correct you, but openxcom is opensource and by definition not bound to any particular Operating System whatsoever.
You can compile the github source code for yourself on your own machine independed of which Operating System you use.

You only need to have a compiler, make tools of some kind, the libraries required for openxcom (which are sdl stuff and yaml) and you can build it on your own.

The binary builts are of course bound to a specific plattform, but that doesn't matter as long as you can access the source code yourself and the program is designed in a way in which it run on multiple systems, in case of openxcom those are the SDL libraries which allow you to run it on nearly every plattform avaible.

Yes, I did misspeak when I said "not-native" because my brain was still thinking X-COM which is windows only and closed source.  And the point I was trying to make, that it's just not easy to install for the average user on Ubuntu and never will be.  It could be made easier, but it still relies on owning a Windows program (owning as to be legal).

I agree that opensource doesn't imply Operating System, because it's the framework the code is built upon that dictates the operating system.  There are plenty of opensource linux apps that will never build on Windows without major redesign and vice versa.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:32:47 pm by jgatkinsn »