Author Topic: [ARMOR] Stealth Suit - armor that makes you harder to hit  (Read 25031 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
i was debating in making stalkers lof 0 so you need to use melee/explosives only but that kinda breaks the game also makes my mods a bit more useful (but this is not the scope). breaks  the game cause what if you are against stalkers and you have no explosives/melee/stun on you. is gg. they cannot die.

"Abort! Abort! Abort!" 
God. The pain would be so real!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
I had intended to use the "tiny target area" & mostly invisible sprite for an extra-dimensional alien race, phase-shifters or something. I think an (almost) invisible alien that can still be killed/stunned by explosions and melee would change things significantly and provide refreshing game play opportunities. And it's a mod, so people who use it know what they are getting into as well.

Have to make sure you allow the player to see them, and maybe make them a melee/short ranged alien, so they don't sit at range and shoot you while you can't shoot them though ;)

You mechanic of abusing the line of fire is a bit different though, more like a space-shit (being somewhere else) than phase-shift (not being there).

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
"Abort! Abort! Abort!" 
God. The pain would be so real!

i have an idea for the race that goes well with stalkers  and then i kinda want them 4 legged terror units but then i wanted them as a regular race. . damn i really wanna make them 4 legged. I DEFF don't want them to use weapons that would be a BS unit that can hit you but you can't hit i don't know.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
I had intended to use the "tiny target area" & mostly invisible sprite for an extra-dimensional alien race, phase-shifters or something. I think an (almost) invisible alien that can still be killed/stunned by explosions and melee would change things significantly and provide refreshing game play opportunities. And it's a mod, so people who use it know what they are getting into as well.

Have to make sure you allow the player to see them, and maybe make them a melee/short ranged alien, so they don't sit at range and shoot you while you can't shoot them though ;)

You mechanic of abusing the line of fire is a bit different though, more like a space-shit (being somewhere else) than phase-shift (not being there).

i just take advantage of everything volutar said is wrong with the aiming in this game  . i kinda like it now . although i d agree with volutar the funky aiming  does make for some interesting mod builds like this.

phase shifting would be cool. if they cool switch armor by choice they go in and out of visibility that would be nuts. i might make them lof 0 untagettable by ranged and give them a short ranged arced acid spit attack and a melee attack.  and their main race is gonna be something else i had in mind.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:02:31 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
ok just did a test and it works TOO WELL. nobody attacks me is like i'm invisible. melee says nobody is there.  i need to fix it up a bit more. i just cleared and entire base with 1 stealthed guy. they all walk past me. deff power armor next level tech maybe next armor after power armor making it cost like 1 million bucks. is too crazy right now. and alien with this capability would be most annoying thing in the universe. an LOF 0 makes all weapons unable to target it including melee. only grenades and explosives would work but alien AI doesn't get it . for them if there is no LOF then just means nobody is there and continue on attacking other units.

i think chem thrower would be the only weapon useful to kill a cloaked alien with LOF 0. im gonna experiment with other lof variants this one is too nuts.

i mean yea OP armor but not just be invisible walk around like a chum. i need to make it have built in fake weapns so you can't use weapons when in cloaked armor or something needs to be done. walking around like this is cool for a scout type guy but weapons and invisible nah. too much.

EDIT:

i figured out a better LOF type that makes you untargetabble from front/back and sides but makes you targetable diagonally  so is kinda like chess. you wanna be the rook and don't get caught by the bishop. seems a bit more fair.

also i messed up in the rulset the corpse was wrongly names so it crashes the game when it dies. fixed it in this new version i'm working on.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:21:23 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Hey guys uploaded a new version

fixed bug of corpse crashing the game
changed stats 20 armor everywhere +10 tu +10 stamina
changes req and costs now requires elerium and alloys and costs a bit less than a power suit but  much longer manufacturing/research times
changed LOF to a more balanced logical more targetable one
melee units like chryssalid can always hit you but ranged units need to shoot at you diagonally only  (relative to the map). LOF does not spin with unit and is just added to the map where unit it the same way. added an LOF that is balanced diagonally but not frontally to make it easier to walk up to an unit and get no reaction fire.
this armor is perfect for scouts and ppl that have to go first trough doors as they take NO reaction fire vertically or horizontally only diagonally.

plz let me know what you think

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] Stealth Suit - armor that makes you harder to hit
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 10:55:23 am »
I would be interested to see if its still harder to hit using LoFtemp 078: since its single pixels spread apart, the aliens would see and target it from all angles, but would the bullet be able to pass through the target's tile and not hit anything? that'd be good for a phased out alien/armour (if it actually works...)

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=File:Loftemps.png
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:01:48 am by Arpia »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 11:07:52 am »
aiming in this game is not intuitive (and is not just openxcom vanilla was the same). it targets the middle of a tile for LOF calculations. so if you can hide the center it looks like you are not there to the AI. honestly, in debug mode you don't even get enemy notifications.  so all you care abut is the aim trajectory hitting anything solid in the center be it 1 pixel o anything.

78 has a core of 5 dots is more likely it will register as something being there.

85 is best one because is no core but all corners can be targeted. enemies if are close enough will actually move to corners to attack you they get it. it was the only one that made AI react intelligently. 

65 makes you invisible and same with 53.. these break the game as you can kill anything with 1 guy alone nobody targets you. cheating.  94 is not so bad .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:11:08 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 11:21:14 am »
ok so more research making an enemy with LOF 0 doesn't register as being visible so you get no number on the right as it has no LOF possibly making stalkers attack without warning. you can still see them moving around but you can't tell where they are you need  to use your eyes rathe than the enemy markings .

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 03:33:01 pm »
Yeah, that would be going too far. The off-centre idea seems much better.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 09:05:09 pm »
ahah relax man i didn't get it from you i didn't even read all your ideas was too much i wanted to experiment witch changing unit/armor lof see what happens. mr drama queen over here.

EDIT: The name is in fact taken from Fallout 3/NV Chinese Stealth Suit.  https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Chinese_stealth_armor but the armor itself and the idea comes from dune 2 Saboteur https://dune2k.com/Images/Duniverse/Games/DuneII/special/saboteur.jpg ...original name for the file was Saboteur Armor.rul but changed it later to be like Fallout ..and proof that it was chinese stealth suit originally the UFOPAEDIA says Chinese experiments in nanotechnology... Sorry man but you're not the only person to think of stealth armor. There are dozen upon dozen of games I played that all have cloaking and stealth. In fact I say YOU also took the idea for stealth from these games.

hey guys i noticed another thing. if enemy never notices you while cloaked (ie you never expose yourself vertically) then they don't know you're there. you need to be noticed once and they remember you and once noticed they will try to attack you at an angle .so  if you think you were spotted backoff fast. the closer you get the more likely you gonna die.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:32:27 pm by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 09:56:25 pm »
Hey that's my idea for one of the armors in the mod I was working on that abandoned itself yesterday.

you made me download your text file ..your armor is similar to mine in name only. but that's where similarities end.  first it says nothing about LOF, about cloaking, about line of fire or changing LOF template in rul . you experimented with none of that. you can't say this is the armor you thought when you obvs didn't think of changing armor loftemp to make your unit cloaked. second stats are all different. you just came up with a high tu armor with same name.
also you abandoned it it didn't abandon itself

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 01:36:09 am »
A tale from the XCom secret archives.

It was Captain K.'s first mission, yet he was sure of success. He beamed with assurance, so even if some rookies in the Skyranger didn't understand everything of his fiery victory speech, as he was speaking a rather broken English, they were still instilled with courage and boldness, especially when he started waving his Samurai sword around (camera footage shows that he was inches from cutting Sergeant Zander's face).

Even as the soldiers were running down the ramp into the hellish plasma barrage, he was still shouting encouragements from the rear. Once he made sure everyone was well clear of the ramp, he punched the "close" button (which, as everyone knows, immediately starts "take off and return to base" sequence in Skyranger's electronic brain).

Commander Andianov was rather troubled. He looked at Captain K. gravely, and said, "Captain. Your report says you gave yourself an 'Excellent' rating for your first mission. However, you've returned empty-handed and without any soldiers. What happened?"

"It's all their fault, Sir. It would've been the best mission in the history of XCom, that's self evident. Only these spineless traitors have abandoned me!"

"I see. Do you have any proof of that?"

"Sure I do, Sir. Now everyone is monkeying my inventive tactics of going down the ramp to leave the Skyranger. These shameless copycats!"

"I see. Well, Captain... in the old times, my superiors would've given you a free ticket to one of many vacation resorts they've built all over Siberia. But I think I have a more fitting solution. There is one facility at the base almost no-one knows about. You see, we didn't know how aliens would be like. Evil, insidious, subversive, megalomaniac, who knew? The Queen of Egypt proposed another likely scenario: aliens who aren't really bad, just needy, egotistic, ungrateful, disrespectful and generally kind-of-well-intended a-holes. With some reservations, we still thought preparing a special facility for them according to her proposal was a right thing to do."

"I thought I knew all of the base. Where is this facility? And what is it?"

"You're standing on top of it, Captain," said Andianov with a weary look, reaching for the release handle. "And it's an alligator pit."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:38:06 am by Dioxine »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:48 am »
guys i was wrong . after equipping this suit on enemies and doing more calculations this suit makes you 87.5% invisible. ....chryssalids and most other melee units somehow always find you  as they walk towards your troops and notice your guy on the way there and kill him first. so is not effective against melee.

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
There was a stealthy alien in the mechtoid race mod earlier, although it was only graphical. You can also play with the height to make the target area smaller.

Yes, I know this thread is quite old, but I wasn't playing OXC for some time now...

No, that stealthy mechtoid was not just graphical. I've run into the same kind of problems this design has, namely that using too empty loftemps leads to the unit becoming invisible and untargetable. So I gave that stealthsuit loftemp 001, the smallest possible one that remains reasonably targetable. It made him slightly harder to hit but not that overpowered.