aliens

Author Topic: Stunning aliens by proxy  (Read 3791 times)

Online SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Stunning aliens by proxy
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:12 pm »
In my current game I'm fond of using prox grenades and heavy prox mines but I thought wudn't it be great if u cud have a stun effect combined with proxy effects. I'm completely inexperienced in this but I've come up with an experimental mod which does this called the "Stun Blaster". Yes I know it's a bit corny but no matter. Upon initial testing it does work but has some problems. 1. In its Ufopaedia entry I can't get the text description to appear, I only get STR_STUN_BLASTER. 2. In manufacturing I had set it that u needed 4 different items to make 1 of these but it comes up that u don't need any! Also is it possible to add sound effects as a subfolder of Resources. This mod's not exactly original in the files it uses but I'm out of my depth here so credit goes to anyone whose files I'm using. It does appear as a prox grenade image in the ufopaedia which I wud like to change but don't know how and u need to have the 2nd attachment enabled earlier. So can anyone give me advice or pointers.

Mono

Re: Stunning aliens by proxy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:16:54 am »
Hy Simon,
Code: [Select]
manufacture:
  - name: STR_STUN_BLASTER
    required items:
      STR_BATBOMB2: 1
      STR_ELERIUM_115: 3
      STR_PROXIMITY_GRENADE: 1
      STR_STUN_BOMB: 1
required items: -> requiredItems
ufopaedia:
  - id: STR_STUN_BLASTER
    type_id: 4
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    text: STR_STUN_BLASTER_UFOPEDIA
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:     
      STR_STUNBLASTER: STUNBLASTER
      STR_STUNBLASTER_UFOPEDIA: One of our scientists became creative when he was examined a stun bomb, proximity grenade and knockout bomb. Using Elerium 115 he managed to combine all three into a proximity stun grenade of high power. This new grenade should be able to counter strong or stun resistant aliens better.
STR_STUNBLASTER -> STR_STUN_BLASTER
STR_STUNBLASTER_UFOPEDIA -> STR_STUN_BLASTER_UFOPEDIA
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:19:44 am by Mono »

Offline Liquid Snake

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:48:20 am »
Also is it possible to add sound effects as a subfolder of Resources.

Yes, you can have SFX folder as a subfolder in Resources by:
extraSounds:
  - type: BATTLE.CAT
    files:
      55: Resources/SFX_Folder/fire.wav
changing the file path to point to the resources/SFX folder.

Online SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:03:59 am »
Seemed to have got research, manfacturing & ufopaedia hokey doke now, v0.1.1 attached. Haven't looked at the sounds yet but it's still a work in progress and probably will need some balancing.

Online SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:00 pm »
Managed to undo a typo in the ufopeadia description and reduced power from 120 to 110. Mutons & perhaps Ethereals may survive 1 hit but won't be in good shape afterwards. Since I have no knowledge of designing my own sprites this is as far as I can go with this. Credit to any author whose mod/mods I've borrowed from. It's nice to add this onto the stunning weapons in "Extra Explosions" for the purple cloud effects. V0.1.2 attached.