Author Topic: Dirty traitors.  (Read 6542 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Dirty traitors.
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:05:37 am »
I really wanted to ask this question for more than 15 years, but sadly in real life I am the only X-Com nut I know (plus my friends are not video gamers, especially now that we grew up) .

So here it is:

Which one is your recurring dirty traitor country/ies that throw the towel and go kiss alien butt?

Mine seems to be constantly the USA. No matter what I do, they will always,always, always betray me at some point.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty traitors.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:37:02 am »
For some reason, Spain likes to drop out early on me. Because of their close proximity, the European nations have a bad tendency to domino if you don't get a base over there .

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »
hm.. never kept track of who did quit first and how often.
Their financial contribution doesn't matter after middle of may anyway.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:02:14 am »
you make more moneys from selling stuff though

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 05:02:21 pm »
you make more moneys from selling stuff though

Its not a matter of money. I just want a compilation to see if other players experience specific countries defecting to their playthroughs.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 05:57:28 pm »
Its not a matter of money. I just want a compilation to see if other players experience specific countries defecting to their playthroughs.

The countries who defect follow a certain logic: first a region (Europe, Southern America, etc.) that has Alien Infiltration assigned as a possible mission is randomly selected for the mission. Afterwards the first country who defects is the one at the top of the list of countries of that region who is still in the country. So some countries (US, UK, China, Nigeria) will always fall first than others.

This is how it works on the original game, I can't remember though if on OXC the selection is still made from the first country who is still in the Council or if it is randomly selected from all countries of the region still in the Council.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:05:29 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »
The countries who defect follow a certain logic: first a region (Europe, Southern America, etc.) that has Alien Infiltration assigned as a possible mission is randomly selected for the mission. Afterwards the first country who defects is the one at the top of the list of countries of that region. So some countries will always fall first than others.

Actually that's one of the points we should look into deeper. Because if the said region which is chosen only has one country, you will only loose it and aliens are all over the place (e.g. Region South Africa).

It would be better if the Aliens would try to infiltrate all countries in the region and then stop the mission and put it at the end of the list of regions or in a list of already infiltrated ones. To get the country back or better free the people X-Com would have to attack first the alien base there and eliminate it and second do a couple of special missions in the defected country to eliminate aliens undercover and "convince" government officials (probably at gun point) to withdraw from the agreement with the aliens and stay neutral. Maybe a miniatur Version of the Alien Brain is set up beneth the goverment parlament and the people there get mind controlled or something like it.
That would be a cool idea!

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »
In my experience the UK needs to be closely supervised. Any UFO flying in that direction needs to get shot.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »
As Hobbes has said, the US, UK, China and Nigeria are at the head of their list and will always be the first to fall when an infiltration mission is launched in that region. Afterwards, other countries will fall.

As far as I know, there is nothing you can do to prevent an infiltration mission from reaching its conclusion. Although shooting UFOs does help delay the next wave and make the defection occur later, there is nothing you can do to prevent the ultimate fall (except attack Cydonia before the country falls, I guess).

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:00:54 pm »
Is it true thst Russia never defects?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:16 pm »
Apparently yes. There is an interesting discussion of how things work for infiltration with Warboy here

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 05:49:50 pm »
The countries who defect follow a certain logic: first a region (Europe, Southern America, etc.) that has Alien Infiltration assigned as a possible mission is randomly selected for the mission. Afterwards the first country who defects is the one at the top of the list of countries of that region who is still in the country. So some countries (US, UK, China, Nigeria) will always fall first than others.

This is how it works on the original game, I can't remember though if on OXC the selection is still made from the first country who is still in the Council or if it is randomly selected from all countries of the region still in the Council.

Erhm...Ok Ill repeat it again: Its neither about money or how the game works. I know how it works. I Just want to know what the experiences have been, not to reach any conclusions....

Actually that's one of the points we should look into deeper. Because if the said region which is chosen only has one country, you will only loose it and aliens are all over the place (e.g. Region South Africa).

It would be better if the Aliens would try to infiltrate all countries in the region and then stop the mission and put it at the end of the list of regions or in a list of already infiltrated ones. To get the country back or better free the people X-Com would have to attack first the alien base there and eliminate it and second do a couple of special missions in the defected country to eliminate aliens undercover and "convince" government officials (probably at gun point) to withdraw from the agreement with the aliens and stay neutral. Maybe a miniatur Version of the Alien Brain is set up beneth the goverment parlament and the people there get mind controlled or something like it.
That would be a cool idea!

Meh, as far as I understand its not mind control or total enslavement. Its a one sided pact. The humans 'think' they will get a good bargain while in reality the get the short end of the stick.

Also IMHO the defection should be permanent (as is), but there has to be some short of prevension for example eliminating the UFO wave that goes to do it (and they are a lot, I shot down 7-8 in my current play through and still lost Canada somehow) should postpone the mission for at least an amount of time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:55:14 pm by pilot00 »