aliens

Author Topic: What slang do you use to refer to the aliens?  (Read 5686 times)

Offline igtc

• Squaddie
  • Ultima Dragon
    • View Profile
What slang do you use to refer to the aliens?
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:51:14 am »
When I started playing Xcom back in the 90s, I realised I was always referring to the aliens as "bugs"; as in "Nailed 6 bugs so far." or "Where did that f'ing bug go?".

After playing Open Xcom, I realised I'm still doing it. This got me thinking about whether other players (or their respective soldiers) might have a particular slang word or words they use to refer to the alien hordes attacking Earth.

So how about it? What slang do you use to refer to the aliens? For me, everything is a "bug" (although I have caught myself referring to the Mutons as "Mutties" every so often).

Cheers,
IGTC

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: What slang do you use to refer to the aliens?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:56:25 am »
X-rays is a classic as well as ET.   I do use bugs too, esp for sectoids or Chryssalids.  Chryssies comes out, muties too sometimes.
Discs, & Frisbees obvious for CyberDisks.  Beasties for Reepers.  Green Meanies sometimes for Mutons.

(Tftd:  Gillies: Gillmen, "Swamp Thing": Deep One, Shellbacks: Lobstermen, Lizardmen/iguanas: Tasoths, and of course Flying Brains for Tentaculats.)

More generally, enemy, adversary, foe, hostiles, etc.

Doing an LP made me want to develop a decent lexicon, to avoid repeating myself... though, now that I think about it... it was more doing writing that made me conciously think about it.  Combat Diaries for Marbozir's Long War LP, and then the Soldiers of Earth Roleplay made me really think about not using the same term multiple times in a row.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:06:28 am »
Chryssies

I use Chryssies too. Come here Chryssie, Chrysse... ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:08:43 am by Hobbes »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:12 am »
I like "jokers" that Ivan uses in his LP relatively frequently. Goes with the "You're f*ing kidding me?" reaction you sometimes get in XCom.

I think bugs is best reserved for the bug-like aliens in some other settings (and maybe chryssalids), like tyranids from 40k, the aliens from Starship Troopers, etc.

I tend to just use derogatory terms for aliens, because they tend to frustrate me ;)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 09:54:05 am »
Well usually just "it" or "found one", "die bitch" or something like that.
Scumbags is also good.

Offline Incognito

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:24:43 am »
'Argh!!!' was generally how I referred to Chrysallids charging across the map at my squaddies.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:32:19 pm »
"Oh my GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its a garbage truck with two legs and it comes at us, shooot shooot shooooooot". That was the first thing I thought when I saw the Ripper. And I was really dissapointed that something similar didnt happen in the sequels (TFTD dino doesnt count, its too unimaginative IMHO).

I keep saying Sectoids grays, the floaters floatys, the snakemen snakes (you couldnt find this one out I bet :P), the muton alien grunt, and the rest just alien b$#@@s.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 01:19:33 am »
You're fucking kidding me is a classic response in all languages to enemies in games. Just watched a german play  and whole thing was in german I didn't understand anything but at one point he's like  "are you fucking kidding me? " in english then goes back to german.

edit :

Some variations are "are you fucking kidding me right now" " you gotta be shitting me" "you gotta be joking" "are you kidding me" "fucking kidding me right now"

my favourite slang
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:22:55 am by tollworkout »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
Perhaps my favourite is "why do you keep insist on living". I tell you, the Chryssalids are getting some anti-bullet cheat. I'm sure of it.