aliens

Author Topic: [ARMOR] Stealth Suit - armor that makes you harder to hit  (Read 24952 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] Stealth Suit - armor that makes you harder to hit
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2015, 11:32:20 pm »
no matter what loftemp you use, as long as is not 0, your guy can still die.

i can tell you from practice it reduces the chances but they still die. they die less  not due to smaller loftemp ie shots go trough them but due to making them invisible from certain angles.  due to the unpredictability of shots in openxcom and the amount of aliens /soldiers in any one mission is guaranteed your guy will die from misfire especially if the cloaked  guy sits nearby allies.

my mod makes the soldier wearing it about 20%  visible because you can only shoot from angles meaning out of 8 positions only 4 work but at longer range due to the size of 4 corners in 85 loftemp the angle is much more narrow making the 4 corner positions very tight. you literarily need to be chess bishop shooting mode to accurately hit if you're by 1 square off you don't even spot the soldier.

also note due to the way the engine is coded once you're spotted the AI will calculate the best path and it will always be a diagonal bishop style and AI if it has the TU will do it and you will die just like any other soldier. i n fact at an angle you're just as visible as a regular soldier due to 4 corners spreading out the unit shape even more. there are 3 places to shoot at .

also note use this mod and this idea at you own discretion. the engine was never meant to do this. i am kinda cheating breaking the game a bit by using the functionality and flexibility warboy , supsuper & openxcom team provided. due to the fact is mostly calculations in pseudo-3d space changing loftemp seems to primarily affect AI by making your guy not easily spotted and inability to shoot at it even if spotted unless sitting at perfect diagonal angles. however, there may be side effects unaccounted for.

85 was the most logical and tactical and predictable outcome of all the other ones  i used. you can kinda make decisions and you can kinda guess what's gonna happen and if they have an angle to shoot you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:25:53 pm by tollworkout »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] Stealth Suit - armor that makes you harder to hit
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 11:10:40 am »
Tested the suit for some days now and i really like it, it is a great idea and it works very good. It took me some time to adapt my tactics to the new requirements (avoid locations where you can be seen diagonally etc) and i had losses in my team, but once that was behind me it worked as adverised  :)

Really great mod, it adds a lot to XCom and it also paved the way for stealthy enemies! Thanks a lot for your work, tollworkout.  8)

Oh and you managed something that no mod ever did in 20+ years of Xcom: You made the motion scanner worth using!!!  :o Awesome.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:18:43 am by new_civilian »