Author Topic: Weapons that break, prison riots in the alien base and money thefts.  (Read 9070 times)

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Hello. I apologize, because my English is not very good, but I've checked, because I am a follower of this wonderful game, and this wonderful page.
I have some suggestions, I do not know if they could be applied in some way.
How do the weapon of your soldier encasquille, or damaged, in combat, randomly, for example, a manufacturing defect, or something.
Could they be sublevar, aliens, alien imprisoned in the container for studies or interviews, leading to a fight, leveraging his brothers attack the base, or to rebel, a kind of mutiny? I know that the container disables them to fight, but would there be any possibility, they tried to escape?
Can simulate, theft of money, sabotage your premises by a foreign power, as Exalt Ufo Enemy Within?
A very cordial greeting to all.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons that break, prison riots in the alien base and money thefts.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:01:56 am »
he's thinking about weapons that have durability % so after a while they break and need replacing or repairing
funds sometimes get lost they been stolen/interrupted/lost by spies by corrupt governments by aliens
and terror missions in alien base with escaped abductees  OR aliens contained in your base escape so you get a base defense type mission with a few aliens on the run

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:15:14 am »
Seems like the first two options would simply be "things cost more money". I wouldn't want to repair my guns individually, nor would I want to forget to repair them, so simply having a upkeep cost to them would be the way to go. Same for having funds stolen; when a country leaves, you make negative money from them due to spies or whatnot.

The third option would be strange to play. I don't want to play a mission with one alien on the map, so I guess you could roll a die and have "3 scientists were killed in an alien outbreak". Or on defense missions, the alien containment has unarmed aliens waiting to be "rescued", but again that would require new AI to have the alien stay there, others to fetch, give weapons to, and then continue attacking.

Not that my examples are the only possible ones, but those are my thoughts.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:18:20 am »
Seems like the first two options would simply be "things cost more money". I wouldn't want to repair my guns individually, nor would I want to forget to repair them, so simply having a upkeep cost to them would be the way to go. Same for having funds stolen; when a country leaves, you make negative money from them due to spies or whatnot.

The third option would be strange to play. I don't want to play a mission with one alien on the map, so I guess you could roll a die and have "3 scientists were killed in an alien outbreak". Or on defense missions, the alien containment has unarmed aliens waiting to be "rescued", but again that would require new AI to have the alien stay there, others to fetch, give weapons to, and then continue attacking.

Not that my examples are the only possible ones, but those are my thoughts.

the last one could work if you have a lot of live aliens in storage  like let' say 10 and they all escape  cause is too crowded hard to contain them.

the message is aliens have escaped containment recapture them or kill them . 

their weapons are random firearms weapons from base storage .
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:21:41 am by tollworkout »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:33:42 am »
I would find it difficult to believe that aliens broke containment and made it to the weapons storage without an alarm of some sort going off. But anything believable would not really fit into xcom. It's not like you would get a chance to prepare your soldiers like you would an invasion, this happens without warning. But obviously your military complex would have guards, probably your soldiers, so you would need to identify and equip soldiers in case there is an outbreak, which again would turn into a weird "hunt" mission that would be super easy to game once you know it exists: put the storage on one end of the base, containment on the other.

On the surface it sounds fine, but if you try to flesh it out it doesn't really fit the game.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:38:46 am »
what if after about 10 turns or s they leave the base and if anyone gets out next day you get a battleship alien retaliation

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:44:23 am »
I would find it difficult to believe that aliens broke containment and made it to the weapons storage without an alarm of some sort going off. But anything believable would not really fit into xcom. It's not like you would get a chance to prepare your soldiers like you would an invasion, this happens without warning. But obviously your military complex would have guards, probably your soldiers, so you would need to identify and equip soldiers in case there is an outbreak, which again would turn into a weird "hunt" mission that would be super easy to game once you know it exists: put the storage on one end of the base, containment on the other.

On the surface it sounds fine, but if you try to flesh it out it doesn't really fit the game.

Actually, I believe it could happen if you had a Sectoid Leader in the containment, particularly early game before you have Psionic labs.  Maybe he's strong enough to control the guards to let his buddies out and then equip them with base weapons.  The mission could start with some of your soldiers as alien allies.

Or engineers maybe savvy enough to bypass the security as well, so alarms don't go off.  Overall the aliens have better tech which leads to pretty good intelligence to figuring their way out of prison.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:51:45 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:50:23 am »
Something like this could be interesting:

x% per month per alien in base to have a riot in the containment unit (all it takes is one to break out and then they free the other, because.. scientists just run away as soon as there's trouble. That's also why you don't lose any).

They then aim for the hangars/lift and walk there, except terror units which roam the base and try to kill your soldiers (they have built in weapons + they are expendable). Spending a whole turn (ie ending a turn with full TUs) in a hangar or lift results in the alien escaping.

Any escaped alien has y% to cause an alien retaliation mission to be launched on that base.

You can be all on the offensive but then some soldiers might get killed by terror units. You can kill aliens but then you lose your prisoners. You can try to stun them, but that being more difficult, you might let some escape.

If we're really mean, spawn one civilian for each scientist and engineers, each kill means you lost one when back in geoscape. Better not let a chryssalid escape in that manufacturing base with 150 engineers..!

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 02:56:24 am »
you could spawn 1 unit per 10 in base. so at 150 engineers you get 15 engineers  and if 1 dies you lose 10 in the base

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 03:04:53 am »
Now the Psi capabilities I had not considered; things can indeed get interesting! I would agree that a leader or a psi-capable alien in your base could increase the odds of invasion. Starting missions with some of your soldiers already mind controlled, as if the leader was waiting for the right moment to snap them all..

That is something I could get behind; a leader breaks containment, you equip all your soldiers, and then lose a handful of them to the alien leader on T1. Devlish. This also seems like it would require very little new code to make work.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 03:25:43 am »
It would also make it a more risky proposition of capturing live psi-capable aliens which you need for research. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the probability of this mission kicking off be based on the ratio of garrisoned soldiers per contained alien.  So when that skyranger goes out on a mission, the probability of escape goes up while your troops are away.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:21:08 pm »
That'd be cool, and with a MC chance based on the troop psi-strength? If all your troops are stunned/killed or MC'd, you lose the base :P

That would definitely make you want to pack stun weapons: Not only do you get your alien captives back, but you can stun the MC'd soldiers to get them back too. And if they are MC'd after being equipped, that means they too will "only" pack stun weapons :D

The idea of a breakout based on aliens/soldiers is pretty good. I love the increased risk when going on a mission. Add a bonus when psi-aliens are present since they are more likely to escape, and maybe when one is being experimented on (handling prisoners is more risky than leaving them in their cell). It would make you keep the troops at home and research psi-aliens asap after capture to make sure they don't escape :)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 05:04:30 am »
yo the more psi power a captured alien has the more the chance of alien containment break deff has a lot of potential

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 09:24:45 am »
weapon jamming is theoretically possible, but weapon degredation is harder, as weapons only exist as quantities outside battle and have no individual properties

overflowing alien containment is something i'd like to see implemented, but i'd rather push that to the extended version or my own.

as for enemy factions sabotaging your funding/standing with the national directors, i'm not sure.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:40 pm »
The aliend containment according to the ufopedia article has the aliens in sealed self contained units. That in my book translates in: A solid cofin that keeps them all but alive (possibly permanently sedated with drugs). So I doubt an escape can be possible. The only exception I can think of, is with highly psionic aliens (Etherials sectoid leaders+). And that only durring the interogation. The scientists wake up the alien, and simply put psionics are a field nobody on earth knows how to protect himself (no tin foil hats dont count) and durring the interrogation one escapes, possibly then leading to him releasing the others (if they exist).

Another thing (lore wise) that I cant think why the aliens would mount a resque mission, is that according to what we get from their society is that most of their soldiers are clones and/or expendable. I cant think about mounting an expedition to save anyone except again high ranking aliens (and that due to self preservation-we dont want the humans to find out Cydonia). That said this scenario also requires knowledge about the base housing the leader.

Its a solid good idea, but it would require a couple mechanics that take into account the lore, and have prevension measures (for example the mind-shield should the base have been not detected prior to its completion, should stop this kind of activity) rather than a: LOL, your aliens escaped and heres a battle ship to help them escape :P