Author Topic: Crash site after retaliation attack?  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Crash site after retaliation attack?
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:28 pm »
I was just thinking about base defences. They are pretty much shooting an UFO out of the sky, like interceptors do. Wouldn't it make sense if it created a crashed UFO next to the base? That would add an alternative to the base defence mission:

Defences succeed: Launch a cleanup mission with all soldiers from the base (or spawn a UFO crash site that the player can decide to clean up)
Defences fail: Base defence as usual.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: Crash site after retaliation attack?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:47:36 pm »
Long time since I played the game and so far in my current playthrough, I havent defended yet, but I think you get materials and elerium from a successfull defense.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:24 pm »
Long time since I played the game and so far in my current playthrough, I havent defended yet, but I think you get materials and elerium from a successfull defense.

nope. no you don't. if your base defences destroy an attacking UFO, the UFO mysteriously disappears. no loot at all.

I like the idea of a crashsite mission for when your defences shoot down the attacking UFO. it would make the base defences truly useful. (and you can still opt to ignore that crashsite, or land-and-take-off)

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:23:40 pm »
I wish defences were actually able to shoot and damage UFOs flying close to base. Any UFOs, not just retaliation Battleships.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:39 pm »
I wish defences were actually able to shoot and damage UFOs flying close to base. Any UFOs, not just retaliation Battleships.

That would probably compromise the hidden base. Besides, what do you mean by "close to base"? On the planetary scale, the UFO would have to pass exactly over the base pixel to become threatened by anti-air artillery.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:19:42 am »
nope. no you don't. if your base defences destroy an attacking UFO, the UFO mysteriously disappears. no loot at all.

I like the idea of a crashsite mission for when your defences shoot down the attacking UFO. it would make the base defences truly useful. (and you can still opt to ignore that crashsite, or land-and-take-off)

I meant base defense aka aliens land.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 01:41:45 am »
I'm pretty sure you don't get more than the corpses and guns/ammo/grenades of the aliens you killed on a base defence either. I don't remember getting the Alien Alloys or Elerium that a battleship would represent, let alone all the Alien Entertainment and other flavour stuff.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 02:02:16 am »
I'm pretty sure you don't get more than the corpses and guns/ammo/grenades of the aliens you killed on a base defence either. I don't remember getting the Alien Alloys or Elerium that a battleship would represent, let alone all the Alien Entertainment and other flavour stuff.

Elerium (in the original) you were getting for sure. It was bugged, not only you got but it was in the thousands (4-5 i think).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:06:37 am »
Wasn't it just a bug of the game spawning Elerium if it had nothing else to spawn from your stores? (ie you have a clean base, so to populate the 2nd storey of your general stores, it takes Elerium since there's nothing else). At the end of the mission, you would then recover the Elerium as new Elerium while keeping the old one too.

I'm pretty sure you get absolutely no material from defending a base in OpenXCom.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 02:35:49 am »
i personally hate crash sites :)  cause you get so many of them over and over. haha . i like battle missions but so many crash sites.

id rather % chance no crash site when shooting down ufos.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 03:27:59 am »
A battleship crash site can be a great haul early in the game, and it can't be too common. I would tend to agree on the scout types though.. Have you tried YetMoreUFOs? It helps a lot with crash sites variety!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:41:23 am »
A battleship crash site can be a great haul early in the game, and it can't be too common. I would tend to agree on the scout types though.. Have you tried YetMoreUFOs? It helps a lot with crash sites variety!

Actually you would need a lot of base defenses earlie on to shot down a battleship.

But iam inclined by the idea because i rather fight a battleship crashsite then inside my own base.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 11:51:47 am »
That would probably compromise the hidden base. Besides, what do you mean by "close to base"? On the planetary scale, the UFO would have to pass exactly over the base pixel to become threatened by anti-air artillery.

Well in modern times we got mobile AA stuff with a effective range of up to 400km or ~216nautical miles (SA-21 Growler), so I think that stationary AA facility, in sci-fi setting, employing missiles, lasers and slingatrons could do even better. And if we could choose if base defence facilty would fire or not (through an interception screen for example) it would compromise the base just as much as launching interceptors. Actually considering that aliens use psionics for locating stuff and could potentially detect pilots, it would compromise base even less - all they get would be a region where UFOs get shot down more often.