aliens

Author Topic: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>  (Read 69342 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06:22 pm »
Mixed races as a "warning" is a really cool idea too! Nice!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »
Mixed races as a "warning" is a really cool idea too! Nice!

Actually the idea with mixed races i stole originally from Hobbes, god knows from were he had that idea :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2015, 10:09:18 pm »
I remember the mixed race mod, I used to use it, until I realized that everything had equal race weights to the vanilla aliens, which meant that when adding gazers/waspites/anthropods to the mix they had very low odds to shop up.

Using them specifically as a warning is what I find particularly interesting. It's like the aliens start producing/using these, send the first batches as elite elements/test cases, and then put it in mass production. You can slowly realize you're in trouble instead of always seeing sectoids and floaters until the day ethereals and sectopods decide to drop in on a city near you.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2015, 10:11:44 pm »
That's one thing I particularly found nasty. I remember one vanilla game, when directly after the floaters, the mutons began kicking my butt. No snakemen inbetween. So there I was, having only rifles with me, facing 5 mutons. Not to funny... Having some kind or idea of what's to come, that'd be nice, yes.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »
I remember the mixed race mod, I used to use it, until I realized that everything had equal race weights to the vanilla aliens, which meant that when adding gazers/waspites/anthropods to the mix they had very low odds to shop up.

Using them specifically as a warning is what I find particularly interesting. It's like the aliens start producing/using these, send the first batches as elite elements/test cases, and then put it in mass production. You can slowly realize you're in trouble instead of always seeing sectoids and floaters until the day ethereals and sectopods decide to drop in on a city near you.

Anyway, i just had the idea to combine in the future, Hobbes new Special Mission, like Facility Attack, Facility Defense etc.. with the Missiontriggers for additional alien missions in my Mod. At the moment i am only calling in additional vanilla missions, with a limit of 2 of these Missions per Month.

But pulling in these new Missiontypes over those Missiontriggers and give them a specific Name/Briefingtext, like "UN Counsil - urgent request" could be really cool, think about the Counsil Mission from Xcom2012.
This actually would be something similar for OpenXcom to some degree.
I personally like the Idea, and you?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:18:41 pm by hellrazor »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2015, 06:39:12 pm »
That sounds like a good idea too! I liked the council missions in XCom2012 and in general, I think XCom need more terror-like urgent "missions otherwise you get a big penalty". If not, you just casually shoot down UFOs, pick your battles, and the only things you have to worry about are retaliations (which the game gives you plenty of tools against) and infiltration (which, frustratingly, you can't do anything about).

Then it's just a matter of making them varied enough.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2015, 11:49:38 am »
That sounds like a good idea too! I liked the council missions in XCom2012 and in general, I think XCom need more terror-like urgent "missions otherwise you get a big penalty". If not, you just casually shoot down UFOs, pick your battles, and the only things you have to worry about are retaliations (which the game gives you plenty of tools against) and infiltration (which, frustratingly, you can't do anything about).

Then it's just a matter of making them varied enough.

Well depends, so far i am aware of 6 or 7 special missions in Hobbes Redux Mod. Maybe i also can design some myself.
I do have 12 possible Research Triggers for Special Mission avaible from Alien Engineers and currently 8 avaible from Alien Navigators. So there could be a maximum of 20 different "Counsil Mission" so to say. But i will probably settle for 10 in the beginning since there are enough terrains avaible, so triggering each Mission twice in one campaign wouldn't be that of a hassle i guess.

But that is only a Idea for the future.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2015, 11:45:48 pm »
Reapers having a group briefing, made a lovely target for my tank!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2015, 10:43:27 am »
Reapers having a group briefing, made a lovely target for my tank!

Those floaters look strange, what mod is this?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2015, 12:49:26 pm »
It's FMP v1.72 and I'm about to ask Solarius if you get the giveaway clue for most races as to what their rank is. Floaters are the most obvious I've encountered so far.  But if mind the last time I played FMP which must have been around v1 Sectoids, Snakemen, Mutons, Reptoids & Chtonites had their unique clues. On a seperate unrelated point I see that v0.94 of Hardmode is released, the spitter Chrysallids will put the fear of god into players.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2015, 01:29:53 pm »
It's FMP v1.72 and I'm about to ask Solarius if you get the giveaway clue for most races as to what their rank is. Floaters are the most obvious I've encountered so far.  But if mind the last time I played FMP which must have been around v1 Sectoids, Snakemen, Mutons, Reptoids & Chtonites had their unique clues. On a seperate unrelated point I see that v0.94 of Hardmode is released, the spitter Chrysallids will put the fear of god into players.

Unfortunatly you will only encounter a few of them in Cydonia and they still look like normal Chryssalids, i did not had the time to rework the sprites, once this is done, they will be fielded on earth as a regular terrorunit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:37:37 pm by hellrazor »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
Not sure if I'm looking forward to them running riot on earth but it will be interesting, best of luck on your exams.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2015, 07:34:34 am »
i need booze for that:D

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile