aliens

Author Topic: Upcoming mission changes  (Read 36043 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming mission changes
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 09:05:07 pm »
Thanks for claryfying, now more questions :)

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "terror monthly" seems to be selected from all available "objective: 3" missions. Is that correct? Or is the terror monthly selected from every mission named STR_TERROR_something ?

Terror Mission is selected from all missions that have an objective 3. In TFTD this should mean that it will choose from either PORT_ATTACK or ISLAND_ATTACK missions.

Just finished upgrading the Terrain Pack to the latest nightly. Here's a little teaser:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:40:54 pm by Hobbes »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 12:11:25 am »
Thanks for claryfying, now more questions :)

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "terror monthly" seems to be selected from all available "objective: 3" missions. Is that correct? Or is the terror monthly selected from every mission named STR_TERROR_something ?
Yes, it uses the objective, string IDs don't matter anymore. I intentionally made up an example to avoid misconceptions like this:

In TFTD this should mean that it will choose from either PORT_ATTACK or ISLAND_ATTACK missions.
In original TFTD every map type is crammed into Alien Terror (remember it's just a UFO reskin). So Port/Island/Cargo Ship/Cruise Ship/Artefact are only differentiated through a wild mix of deployments, mission zones, probabilities and black magic. So I wouldn't recommend following its example. :P

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:05 am »
Anyone else getting crashes on vanilla (unmodded) terror missions? Sometimes it works but right now I'm getting constant crashes after the equip screen, I get a glimpse of the battlescape, then it crashes. UFO missions work without an issue.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 12:38:15 am »
Anyone else getting crashes on vanilla (unmodded) terror missions? Sometimes it works but right now I'm getting constant crashes after the equip screen, I get a glimpse of the battlescape, then it crashes. UFO missions work without an issue.

Yep Hobbes i do i opened Thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3424.0.html
and Bug report: https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/889

It's not only Terrormission.
Both Mars Missions are also affected.
Base Defense and Alien Base Assault and all UFO Mission do work.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:35 am »
Mars missions insta-crash right now

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 02:41:25 am »
I'm not seeing any crashes, but I put out some fixes for New Battle which might help.
If you keep experiencing it post a save / reproduction steps.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 02:46:48 am »
with latest nightly works again :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:31 am »
I'm not seeing any crashes, but I put out some fixes for New Battle which might help.
If you keep experiencing it post a save / reproduction steps.

Seems to be working again. Btw, thank you a lot for now being able to choose all terrains in Battle Mode :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 10:48:54 am »
Can confirm, everthings working fine now looking for more error.
Thanks for quick fix @ supsuper

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »
I'm having issues with the markers. If I try this:

Code: [Select]
  - type: GlobeMarkers
    width: 3
    height: 3
    subX: 3
    subY: 3
    files:
      9: Resources/UI/Mission_Site.png

The game will crash upon start (globe appears, then it CTD).

And if I try editing the globe_ufo.png then the colors of all the markers are changed. I've attached an example below: the city marker on the left is vanilla, and the city marker on the right is from using a globe_ufo.png file where I had changed only the terror site marker.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:45:24 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 08:37:26 pm »
Another bug. I have this texture assigned to several cities on the terrain pack, so that it uses the PORT_ATTACK alienDeployment during Terror Sites on coastal areas (and it works without a problem):
Code: [Select]
    - id: -2
      deployment: STR_PORT_ATTACK

However, when there's an Alien Retaliation mission and the UFOs are landing on cities, any mission on a UFO landed on a city with texture -1 works fine, butthe game crashes if the UFO has landed on any city with texture -2 after clicking into 'Accept Mission'.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:44:31 pm by Hobbes »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »
Can you post a save/ruleset? City textures shouldn't affect landed UFOs...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 04:17:25 pm »
I tried making a separate mission STR_MIB_RETALIATION (only for the Men in Black, with their ships and everything), but the information piece I'm missing is how to assign correct alienDeployment for MiB attack (I don't want them use alien gear). Normal STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION triggers STR_BASE_DEFENSE and I couldn't find how this particular deployment is attached to the STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION, or if it's hardcoded.

I would like to make a new deployment for the MiB attack, say STR_BASE_DEFENSE_FROM MIB, and link it to the STR_MIB_RETALIATION, but how do I do that?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:02 pm »
Can you post a save/ruleset? City textures shouldn't affect landed UFOs...

I think I got what's causing the issue: if the location of a coastal city is set upon a land texture there isn't a problem but if the city is placed upon the ocean texture (the best example are islands) the game can't assign a terrain for the UFO landed there and the battlescape generation crashes.

This issue actually should predate the recent mission/texture changes, I just noticed it because I was trying to get the UFOs landed on cities during Infiltration to use city terrains rather than farm/forest/etc.

This issue might actually affect TFTD, if there are any cities whose location is on land (the opposite of the previous situation described) and a USO lands there for an Alien Infiltration mission, since the game won't be able to assign a sea texture/terrain for tactical combat.

I'm using the Terrain Pack to generate this issue, plus a missions test ruleset to ensure that the 1st mission generated is Alien Infiltration. I've attached below the Mission Test ruleset and a saved game where a UFO has landed on Nuuk (which is placed on land) and sending a Skyranger there will crash the game.

I can actually fix this on my own by editing the coastal cities locations so that they are all located on land. Or simply assign those cities to the ocean regions since there are no Alien Retaliation scheduled for those. I'm curious though if this issue has popped up in TFTD. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:19:17 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »
I tried making a separate mission STR_MIB_RETALIATION (only for the Men in Black, with their ships and everything), but the information piece I'm missing is how to assign correct alienDeployment for MiB attack (I don't want them use alien gear). Normal STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION triggers STR_BASE_DEFENSE and I couldn't find how this particular deployment is attached to the STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION, or if it's hardcoded.

I would like to make a new deployment for the MiB attack, say STR_BASE_DEFENSE_FROM MIB, and link it to the STR_MIB_RETALIATION, but how do I do that?

I think this is impossible to achieve because the missions assigned to alien/xcom bases seem still hardcoded. You can get a different alienDeployment for the UFO that is generated on an Alien Retaliation by using the SpawnUFO property, but that only works when you shoot and assault the UFO since there's no way to determine the alienDeployment used on the actual Base Defense

I've been trying to create a separate MJ12_SUPPLY mission for a Base but the game only generates the vanilla ALIEN_SUPPLY mission, even by adding missionWeights. And there's simply no way through the ruleset to assign a MJ12_BASE_ASSAULT deployment in case I try to assault the base.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:00:15 pm by Hobbes »