aliens

Author Topic: Visually see the soldiers from within base and customize head/skin colour?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is weird that you won't know the look of your own soldiers until you go on the first mission. Sometimes you wanna rename them but don't know if they are male or female based on the name alone. Maybe some have foreign name that may sound male but are female or the other way around. Or maybe you just wanna admire your beautiful soldiers.Whatever the reason. Would be nice to visually see them from the base and not just their skills.

I would eventually love to customize their head or skin colour or even then colour of their armour. Like all my snipers I want black but assaults or heavies red scouts yellow or medics white etc etc. But for now just to be able to see them in the base would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Visually see the soldiers from within base and customize head/skin colour?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:29:28 pm »
There could be ways of doing that. The soldier name could be a button that opened up a customize screen or something.

As for the coloring, you would need to create and color copies of the sprites you would want to use; that might take a bit of leg work.

If you have any experience in C++, even a little, this might be a good first dip for modding ;)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:58:26 pm »
For soldiers assigned to a ship, you can see them in base by going to ship screen, the equipment screen lets you enter individual soldier's equipments.

Some mods like for example "Xeno Operations Mod" provide multiple "redundant" bullet-proof vests with different appearances, it allows you to differenciate soldier roles no matter the gender or skin color.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:00:24 pm »
You can also change the sex and hair color of your soldiers by modifying the .sav  save game file.  Their are four choices for each:

0=blonde, 1=brown hair, 2=Oriental, 3=African.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=SOLDIER.DAT

Cheers, Ivan :D

Short YouTube video :Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Extra!!: YBU?????

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:00 am »
Thanks guys I didn't know any of those things.

I found inventory button on ship and is true let's me see the soldiers. Awesome! That's all I needed.

Would still be nice to edit my people from the game itself but editing the sav file is good enough too.

:D