Author Topic: [WIP][MOD][OXCE] From the Apocalypse 0.12.0  (Read 97771 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.3.6
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2018, 10:43:05 pm »
new version up 0.3.6
* added Skeletoid alien (ufopaedia not done)
* Mutons removed
* added Swarmids small alien
* fixed missing Exoskeleton ufopaedia article
* fixed flying Exoskeleton* fixed some missing strings

hopefully everything is alright because i put it together very quickly.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2018, 02:56:49 pm »
Thank you very much !

But one little question please !
I'm surprised that autopsies of "spitter" and "skeletoid" have the same sentence !  :-[
Normal ?

Translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »
Thank you very much !

But one little question please !
I'm surprised that autopsies of "spitter" and "skeletoid" have the same sentence !  :-[
Normal ?

Translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator
ooops.
 it's obviously not normal. will fix as soon as i can.

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2018, 10:07:15 pm »
Hi, robin. I've played your mod (i do OXCE+ instead of regular OXC) after downloading a few days ago (i know some four advanced options including explosion height: 3 are not allowed, but that's okay for you), but i liked it.
I liked XCOM Apocalypse, i played X-COM Apoc in 2014 when i was 17.
I mostly stopped playing XCOM Apoc97 (not the OXCE+ mod version), Interecptor98 and Enforcer2001 since i can't do Steam because it's on Steam (Steam features require money/dollars). :(
I've read the "LICENSE.txt" about it, problem is, i don't think i or someone can have "X-COM Apocalypse" aliens in my own TC mods or someone else's TC mods (Can be a bad idea actually for adding or stealing it at least, along with the UFOD/TFTD styled Apoc sprites).
I've read your whole thread, like 19 pages of the mod thread.

Before i play more of it later (I know the mod is WIP, but it will be good enough in 2019 or 2020s i believe), like some nicer feedback to your mod if you chances to ban me from the OXC forums (I'm not trying to rush you or force you).
It all really trivial and cheat-y:
- I paint conventionally with the brush (not pencil) tool, in an RGB image, picking colors from the ufopaedia.act palette so I know that, once I switch to indexed color, they won't stray much;
- I start with medium-dark colors (but not the darkest I plan to use), hard brush,  to draw the overall shapes (so IE in the Chrysalis image: a darkish purple, darkish red and darkish organe, for the three main shapes respectively: coocoon, coocon interior, humanoid);
- Then I start to use lighter shades of those colors with soft brushes, to give the shapes their volumes;
- Finally I draw highlights using the lightest shades, and mark darker shadow areas with light touch of the darkest shades of the original colors, using hard or soft brushes as needed;
- I eventually make the whole thing a little lighter or darker, or and apply a light sharpen filter (didn't do this step for those 2 image above);
- Once I'm done, I use the "save for web (and devices)" option, with "png-8" or "gif", with 256 colors, loading the ufopaedia.act palette and disabling "convert to sRGB" checkbox (this doesn't seem to make any difference, but better disabled).
Done.

Attached the Spitter .psd file.
Yeah, Photoshop. I like Photoshop, but i don't like versions that still do not like XCOM sprite, pixel, image and palette handling.
I was trying to do that with PNG (still works properly) and GIF, but Photoshop does not open GIF files.

I was middle of trying out Falko's OXC tools, but the palette colors are messed up which won't work (I have some recolored UFO94 Rifle and Pistol Clip PNGs, tried testing on Falko, and the colors are messed up on there.  :-\).

I am learning the UFO-Battlescape, along with other palettes, but the tools or the mods i'm making makes the palette won't work.
About turrets, I asked Warboy on 0-energy HWPs too (I removed the defense facilities). The problem with that solution is that there's little to no control about their spawning on the map, since there's no HWP-specific spawn points.
Turrets are nice, but there's no "?: Turret" rank for nodes in MV because MV limits ranks from 0-10, which sucks for me and others who make mods. :(
I almost* completed the tileset for human crafts. This is probably the hardest tileset to do.
Here's an Airtaxi (still some stuff to fix).

*maybe, hopefully
You know, tilesets can be hard to draw and make, unless you're an expert pixel artist. :)

I was trying to make stairs and ramps for UFOs (Not Apoc UFOs), but i'm having difficulty drawing these.
The thing I hate about this is doing routes.
Routes are kinda hard, but i'm trying to learn to do those secretly.
But they're easy for me to do with maps. :)
It's funny that I'm making a ton of stuff and yet I'm always ignorant about all the technicalities. My plan basically is: "Hopefully everything will be alright!"
Also, don't be ignorant like you said 3 years ago.
But it's okay.
I'd like to, but the grey in the palette doesn't "work well"; I don't know how to explain- I don't even remember actually, only that when I tried it it was bad.
Yeah, that's the problem with the UFO94 palettes.
Grey and silver is nice, but you can't do that in the UI, it won't work.
Apocalypse's logs are really cool. I don't have Transtellar in my mod; the only corporation straight from Apocalypse is Megapol, which is still "to do" though.
I wanted to have an external wall with a logo, but I think I'm done with crafts for now, I hit the MCDs limit (also logos on curved walls are difficult, since you have so few pixels). The whole craft tileset is very modular now, so I squeezed out some room for more MCDs, but I'm waiting in case the playtesting tells that some tiles are needed (I suspect I'll need an external stair-ramp for example).
I was at 270~280 (and I added more since then). I don't know how many entries I use now because the number depends on what libraries the craft uses, I just check that the map saves correctly and I'm good. Hence the policy is to add only absolutely essential tiles; Logo is cool but not essential.
Houston we have a problem: no more available MCDs.
actually there's still a handful of empty ones, so i'm at 248-ish (instead of 254), but I sort of know already what to put in those.
and i can still make my shit a more modular, so i should be fine in the end.

more sorting, splitting (and recoloring), before i can start making alien maps.
(also i'm not completely happy with floor and main interior wall --always the hardest tiles to do. fuck them!--).
Yeah, MCDs have their limit to 270-280. It sucks to have it unless you want to make bigger tilesets for your own, especially Apoc, EU2012 and XCOM2 themed ones. :)
currently impossible to do properly.
you can't make an explosive melee weapon. and afaik the ai isn't aware of the range limitation to ranged weapon, so a ranged-2 weapon won't be used properly (even if it is an autoshot, which is used more likely within 3-4 tiles, it's not exclusively used at that short distance).

i think the most sensible way to do something like that, is how i did the cybermite terror unit of the waspite: simply a melee-only unit that explodes when killed (cyberdisk style).
That's kinda like a big technical problem and issue with range.
A range 1 weapon similar to Dioxine's Piratez Hammer weapon could be nice, but with a HE dmg type with a blast radius.
I'm afraid it will come out fully fledged only in the very distant future: years. I assure you I'm the most impatient, but it just takes time to mod.
i won't re-do natural terrains (desert, jungle, forest), so it won't be 100% original artwork. also i've used bits and pieces form vanilla and tftd tiles (and other stuff, like the cult armors copied from gundam), apocalypse tiles (even if re-drawn from scratch you can see it's copied from them).
Re-doing natural terrain could be good idea, but a bad idea about it... is probably %100 original artwork, could be infringing at least.
i was going to make them myself. i already have a cool police bot.
problem is civilian units don't attack, so it doesn't make sense to add them.
Yeah, Hobbes' Area 51 Mod has soldier themed civilians attacking/shooting units you know.
Maybe in the future, you will make it where different civilian types like police and military troopers attack/shoot, unless they have a weapon. :)
it is playable but you can't finish the campaign (the first part of cydonia crashes the game).
the next version, that i want to release ASAP (actually i wanted to release it last weekend, but didn't manage to), should be completely playable to the end.
Also, you/i/anyone can't do Cydonia in this mod. I hope you'll work more 6-12 months slowly on the final mission for that mod, probably in the future i guess. :)
But from my perspective it is a gigantic update, because of the enormous amount of work needed to make all those new tiles (and maps). I'm happy.
A gigantic update would be nice. But it will take like 1-2 years i think in order to add more cool stuff to this mod, mostly from all of X-COM Apocalypse. Like more aliens, well, no turrets and egg ranks because MVI/MVII won't allow Turret Ranks and Egg/Larva/Chrysalises ranks in spawn nodes because they don't have it.

We have to wait for MVE+ and MCDEdit Extended+ versions for those programs so that we can have turrets, eggs/larvae/chrysalises, teleporters and others to make some OXCE+ fans really happy to see how to make OXCE+ mods with new stuff from MV and MCDEdit with E+ addition.
i should be migrating to oxc extended but instead i'm spawning an alien.
the alien queen is pleased.
If you're saying the two words "alien queen" years and months ago.
You'll definitely make a 2x2 alien queen unit for the aliens.
@robin
I hope you'll do more of the mod every 2 or 3 months of work since it's WIP..
All we need is (including optionals and nice ideas in the future, if you refuse and if you say no to those which are kinda okay for me to listen):
1: UFOpaedia images for everything, except UFOs (Probably for future releases).
2: More weapons and stuff from Human Factions.
3(OPITONAL): Probably Gauss (Magnetic, Coilgun, Mass Driver and Railgun), Ion and Sonic Technology Weapons and Craft Weapons made by Energyion, NeuTek, Omnisynth and other human factions who made the weapons from Second Alien War Tech, or similar to TFTD stuff or other mods someone or i've made for days and years (It would nicer to have Gauss and Sonic weapons to this mod and X-COM Apocalypse mods because XC Apoc was made after TFTD and UFO Defense 20 years ago. :D e.g Gauss Pistol, Gauss Rifle, Personal Gauss Cannon, Railgun, Ion Blaster, Heavy Ion Blaster, Sonic Blaster, etc.).
4: All of the stuff including aliens from Apocalypse (Aliens like Brainsucker, Hyperworm, Micronoid Aggregate, Queenspawn, Overspawn, etc) (Meaning more than 1-2 years to work on those, depends on the colors, the pixels and the palettes).
5: Making it where the Popper alien has it own ruleset rules and info (Nicer enough)
6: Entropy Launcher weapon for the aliens (Adds like a shot that makes more wounds for a soldier to have)
7: Personal Energy Shields (perfect for blocking incoming hits/shots)
8(OPTIONAL): Genetics and Genetic Modifications for soldiers made by MedCantieri (or any human factions), with Otto's Soldier Tranformations OXCE+ EXE (Man i would like some Gene-Modded Soldiers in Apoc. Would been nice and fun to have it, or not)
9(OPTIONAL): Cybernetics and Mechanized Soldiers/Tech via Otto's Soldier Tranformations OXCE+ EXE until it his thing is released and out (Because Apocalypse and this mod takes place in the 2080s, is where it has Androids, Exoskeletons and other robotic/cybernetic technology in Apoc)
10(OPTIONAL): Fix some text and string errors on UFOpedia stuff (Very important for things).
11: Fix Change Avatar Issues on OXCE+ and the Mod (I like to change avatars after renaming soldiers, in F.T.A, it won't let me)
12(TEMPORARILY OPTIONAL): More fixes on everything, might take months and years to fix it.

I will be playing more of your Apoc themed mod unless i read the entire thread again if i liked, since loved the 90s XCOM games if i have some disrespect in you (I've played Interecptor and Enforcer in 2011 when i was 14).

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day and great week on the OpenXCOM forums, robin. :)
I won't forget about sending you screenshots about crashes on my game and campaign as attachments on your thread.

Cheers! ;)
~J-Kun FeruEnzeru

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2018, 07:04:11 pm »
@FeruEnzeru

First of all, the current version has bugs that result in a crash (missing research stuff and so on), so play the campaign at your own risk!
I can't release a hotfix at this point and the next version will take some time before it'll be ready.

Yeah, Hobbes' Area 51 Mod has soldier themed civilians attacking/shooting units you know.
The police robosphere now DO attack aliens (at least it seems so).
2: More weapons and stuff from Human Factions.
I don't plan to make many more weapons over the current ones. Just and handful and that will be it.
4: All of the stuff including aliens from Apocalypse (Aliens like Brainsucker, Hyperworm, Micronoid Aggregate, Queenspawn, Overspawn, etc) (Meaning more than 1-2 years
About the aliens I'd say I'm about halfway done.
6: Entropy Launcher weapon for the aliens (Adds like a shot that makes more wounds for a soldier to have)
I did some testing and controlling the wounding is tricky. I still don't know about a kind of weapon like that.
7: Personal Energy Shields (perfect for blocking incoming hits/shots)
I plan to have them, if they work in a way I like.
8(OPTIONAL): Genetics and Genetic Modifications for soldiers
No "genetic mutation" for soldiers but something similar in effect. Still unsure though.
9(OPTIONAL): Cybernetics and Mechanized Soldiers/Tech
There wont' be mechanized soldiers... but maybe there will be full androids like in Apocalypse. Maybe.
10(OPTIONAL): Fix some text and string errors on UFOpedia stuff (Very important for things).
12(TEMPORARILY OPTIONAL): More fixes on everything, might take months and years to fix it.
I know, it's a mess currently.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:06:04 pm by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #275 on: June 24, 2018, 04:40:30 pm »
I don't plan to make many more weapons over the current ones. Just and handful and that will be it.

Well... Modders assemble! :D

I did some testing and controlling the wounding is tricky. I still don't know about a kind of weapon like that.I plan to have them, if they work in a way I like.

Here's what the Plasma Rifle does in X-Com Files:
Code: [Select]
    damageAlter:
      RandomType: 6
      IgnoreOverKill: false
      ToArmorPre: 0.05
      ToStun: 0.75
      RandomWound: false
      ToWound: 0.12
      FireThreshold: 25.0

RandomWound: false means that a linear value is chosen to determine the number of wounds, generated as per ToWound value (instead of the usual 1-3).
No, I don't understand it either. :P

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 24, 2018, 08:34:39 pm »
Well... Modders assemble! :D

Here's what the Plasma Rifle does in X-Com Files:
Code: [Select]
    damageAlter:
      RandomType: 6
      IgnoreOverKill: false
      ToArmorPre: 0.05
      ToStun: 0.75
      RandomWound: false
      ToWound: 0.12
      FireThreshold: 25.0

RandomWound: false means that a linear value is chosen to determine the number of wounds, generated as per ToWound value (instead of the usual 1-3).
No, I don't understand it either. :P
yeah I used "RandomWound: false" too; my problem about it is that i found (during my bit of testing) that the "weapon that inflicts many wounds" idea wasn't much interesting when put in practice.
(this is not a criticism about the feature itself, which works exactly as it should; just my taste about the gameplay).
will definitely try again though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:36:50 pm by robin »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.3.7a
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2018, 11:27:58 am »
new version up, 0.3.7a.
unfinished mess and billions of new bugs; but at least aliens can now dine at luxurious restaurants.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:42:52 am by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.3.7
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2018, 11:43:01 am »
Oh dear.
I really hope we get these terrain improvements in OpenApoc. ;)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2018, 12:44:18 pm »
Man, those terrains are just awesome :o
You are not Terry Greer by any accident?
http://www.terrygreer.com/xcomalliance.html

Anyway. Thanks a lot for your hard work, i just had one of my most memorable Xcom Missions ever on a Temple-of-Sirius terrain.... :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2018, 01:12:05 pm »
Man, those terrains are just awesome :o
You are not Terry Greer by any accident?
http://www.terrygreer.com/xcomalliance.html

Anyway. Thanks a lot for your hard work, i just had one of my most memorable Xcom Missions ever on a Temple-of-Sirius terrain.... :)
Thanks.
And no, I'm not him. ;D

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2018, 09:47:16 pm »
robin, you really have an eye for the attractive tiles and combinations. You're doing amazing work!

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2018, 10:13:49 pm »
robin, you really have an eye for the attractive tiles and combinations. You're doing amazing work!
I'm only reproducing/imitating the excellent work that was already done by others for X-Com Apocalypse.
The attractiveness of the tiles and combinations is to their credit.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2018, 08:38:36 am »
Aren't those tables from TFTD? I don't remember seeing them in Apocalypse.

I was thinking it was the tables from the hotel in the island attack.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2018, 09:54:22 am »
These tables look nothing like the TFTD ones. They aren't even of the same shape! (TFTD tables were round.)