Author Topic: Open a door as a tank if there's something on the other side? [solved]  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Right-clicking doesn't seem to work. Only driving through.

And if there's, say, a sectopod on the other side, I can't open it at all. In vanilla I could, because the game would let me /try/ to drive through that door as long as the tank didn't see the sectopod. It'd still get me nowhere, but the door would get opened.

Am I missing something obvious?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:06:49 pm by Markus Ramikin »

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Tanks don't have hands to open doors. Right click open was disabled for them intentionally. Though I would advise Warboy to add special variable to ruleset which would control that ability. Because some of not vanilla 2x2 units MAY have hands at some point.

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
"Tanks don't have hands to open doors. "

And yet tanks in both vanilla and openxcom can generally open doors. How?

So can sectopods and cyberdisks for that matter, which don't have hands either.

Probably doors use some motion/proximity sensor that opens for tank-sized objects... but it doesn't matter what the imagined mechanism is. Whatever it is, IF tanks are allowed to open doors in all other situations, I can't see a reason why not in this one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:30:26 pm by Markus Ramikin »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
driving through != opening. they can drive through them, but how does a tank open a door prior to going through it, short of firing a shell?
we're talking specifically about the RMB behaviour, ie: standing still and opening the door - an action requiring hands.
tanks can't do that, and aliens don't open doors in this manner, regardless of size, so that point about sectopods is kinda moot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:43:14 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
"but how does a tank open a door prior to going through it, short of firing a shell?"

Indeed, how do they do it? When a tank "drives through" a door, it doesn't leave the door flattened or wrecked. It doesn't literally drive through it. It opens it. Somehow.

So what's the difference between that usual scenario, and one where there's something standing on the other side of the door? None from the realism standpoint. The only difference is an interface one: one requires RMB, the other requires left-clicking past the door. And there's nothing natural or necessary about it, since in vanilla X-com you could open a blocked door just fine, using the same mechanism as usual: try to drive through it. So again, just an interface difference: openxcom doesn't let you do that if you know an enemy is there.

But if you didn't know that, if the enemy was in the same spot but undetected, openxcom would let you! Now stop and think about that for a moment. The physical situation is exactly the same. The tank can't and won't actually move, any more than with the enemy detected. But the door opens. How? And since there's a way, what's stopping the tank that knows about the enemy from doing whatever-it-did-before-that-caused-the-door-to-open? The only difference is knowledge, not the physical actions available to the tank. Does knowing there's an enemy at the other side remove the tank's hands? ;)

(And yes, I know the reason is pathfinding)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:32:04 pm by Markus Ramikin »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
we already gave you a canonical reason for why it is how it is, no pun intended.
it's a game mechanic that was introduced in TFTD, and finished in OpenXcom.
in OpenXcom, right-click to open doors charges TUs, works from more positions, and doesn't apply to tanks.

with regards to the inability to open the door between the tank and the sectopod, i assume you're talking about swinging doors?
the engine won't allow for a swinging door to open "into" (thus bi-secting) a 2x2 unit.
if the scenario you described in your initial post was with sliding doors, then there's an actual bug that needs sorting out, but if it's a custom map with double swinging doors, the tank would never have been allowed through there in the first place since one of the doors would swing open from the MIDDLE of the hall.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Even in XCom EU/EW Mechs cannot open doors but only bash trough them even thought they have hands. Shoot at the door to open it as a tank and shoot again if there is something behind the door.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Maybe someone could make a mod adding R2D2 so that HWPs can open doors? ;)

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why did nobody tell me the X-wings came through after all!

Pardon the blast from the past. Recently came back after a long break and this makes me smile.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:08:09 pm by Markus Ramikin »