Author Topic: Help needed with HandObs  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Help needed with HandObs
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:36 pm »
Hey all,

I'm doing a mod called Redux (the thread is in this subforum) partially based on already existing material, both here and elsewhere. As I was involved with UFO2000 (a multiplayer clone of the original game) several years ago, I've decided to recycle some of its weapons graphics but I'm having issues converting the HandObs images because the dimensions of the image files are different than those used in OpenXcom.

Can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to optimize the process or even volunteer to convert them? My issue right now is getting the position of the weapon where it should be for each individual weapon image. I've posted one of the HandOb images below for an idea of the files I need to convert. Thanks.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with HandObs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:10:51 pm »
If you can provide the coordinates, I can whip up a Lua script in Grafx2 which performs the change.
Or you can fine-tune the change for one item, give me the source and destination image, and I can reverse-engineer the transformation and create a script.
Note, a grenade can be a good think to examine because it's typically only 3x3.

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
  • oh god how did this get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:15:23 pm »
I use this template from yrizoud for my handob stuff:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2581.msg26245.html#msg26245

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:17:47 pm »
I can batch covert these in photoshop. I would just need all of the files you wanted to convert so i can slap them in one document and adjust them all at once. Whichever is easier Hobbes.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »
I wouldn't trust Photoshop to preserve color indices  :-\

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06:50 pm »
I can batch covert these in photoshop. I would just need all of the files you wanted to convert so i can slap them in one document and adjust them all at once. Whichever is easier Hobbes.

Lovely. I've attached all the files below, if you got issues with the clips don't worry about them. And btw, the weapons named MJ12 are the missing weapons (Rocket, Plasma) for the ones I got from your XenoOperations mods. If you'd like to use them in your mod just say so and I'll send you the  BigOb and FloorOb files (they're all GNU licensed).

Thanks everyone else for the quick answers :)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:49:16 pm »
I wouldn't trust Photoshop to preserve color indices  :-\

You just have to use index color mode. I've never had that much trouble getting photoshop to preserve colors for the Xcom pals. It does have some trouble with green for some reason and mixes up the very light colors every so often. Most of these files though are pretty close to the original game's colors so they will convert well.

Lovely. I've attached all the files below, if you got issues with the clips don't worry about them. And btw, the weapons named MJ12 are the missing weapons (Rocket, Plasma) for the ones I got from your XenoOperations mods. If you'd like to use them in your mod just say so and I'll send you the  BigOb and FloorOb files (they're all GNU licensed).

Thanks everyone else for the quick answers :)

Try these. Ended up doing a macro to preserve the individual files. Changed them to gifs. Let me know if anything is amiss.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:21 pm »
The originals are 32bit (so no specific palette), but your conversions use color 255 as transparent, and color 0 as black : I'm not 100% of how openxcom will load them, but I highly suspect the black pixel will act transparent.
Attached a version with pixels 0 and 255 switched. Color 0 set to  RGB #010203 so that Photoshop should tell the difference between the two, and not transparent because I heard the OSX version of OpenXcom has trouble loading those transparent GIFs.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:42:52 pm »
Try these. Ended up doing a macro to preserve the individual files. Changed them to gifs. Let me know if anything is amiss.

Attached a version with pixels 0 and 255 switched. Color 0 set to  RGB #010203 so that Photoshop should tell the difference between the two, and not transparent because I heard the OSX version of OpenXcom has trouble loading those transparent GIFs.

Thanks to you both. I'll try them as soon I finish cleaning up the ruleset since I'm making a major item reorganization and a lot of things are broken at the moment.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 04:53:48 am »
Hello again. I'm adding an additional Alloy Shotgun to UFO Redux and I needed some assistance in converting an UFO2000 handob file to OXC's requirements. If anyone can help me, the image is attached below. Thanks :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:52:03 am »
Here you go, might need some pixel work, and it is of course tad big, but doesn't look that bad after conversion, black pixels removal and placement. +Adding a little extra to help with future work of this kind.
Btw looks like a pretty rad weapon, can I see the bigob? :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »
Here you go, might need some pixel work, and it is of course tad big, but doesn't look that bad after conversion, black pixels removal and placement. +Adding a little extra to help with future work of this kind.
Btw looks like a pretty rad weapon, can I see the bigob? :)

Thank you, will integrate it later.

Here's the BigOb and its current stats:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_ALLOY_SHOTGUN
    size: 0.2
    costSell: 41500
    weight: 18
    bigSprite: 1093
    floorSprite: 1090
    handSprite: 1544
    bulletSprite: 3
    fireSound: 63
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_ALLOY_SHOTGUN_AMMO
    accuracySnap: 110
    accuracyAimed: 150
    tuSnap: 30
    tuAimed: 70
    snapRange: 4
    aimRange: 4
    dropoff: 4
    battleType: 1
    twoHanded: true
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    armor: 40
    listOrder: 3703
  - type: STR_ALLOY_SHOTGUN_AMMO
    size: 0.1
    costSell: 2960
    weight: 6
    bigSprite: 1094
    floorSprite: 1071
    hitSound: 13
    hitAnimation: 26
    power: 60
    damageType: 1
    clipSize: 6
    battleType: 2
    armor: 20
    shotgunPellets: 5
    bulletSpeed: 2
    listOrder: 3704
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:06:52 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 08:51:01 pm »
Ugh deadly as hell, but I guess AP<50 weapon makes no sense here (no difference for squishy Sectoids, and anything less won't impress Mutons), especially on a weapon which so heavy & short-ranged :) What you don't need is bulletSpeed; pellets hit instantaneously, without projectile animation.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44:00 pm »
Ugh deadly as hell, but I guess AP<50 weapon makes no sense here (no difference for squishy Sectoids, and anything less won't impress Mutons), especially on a weapon which so heavy & short-ranged :) What you don't need is bulletSpeed; pellets hit instantaneously, without projectile animation.

I've tested it against Mutons and you really need to get close and hit it with several pellets to drop them because of the -40% damage modifier they possess against AP rounds. I want to add a shotgun halfway between laser and plasma so that it can still be useful in the mid/late game. It's even possible to kill Sectopods but you need to get really close and hit them on their rear armor.