Author Topic: MINOR GLITCHES  (Read 3046 times)

Offline SIMON

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 711
    • View Profile
MINOR GLITCHES
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:55:46 am »
First of all the following few glitches aren't fatal and can be worked around but since I'm picky and want everything to be perfect I thought I would ask the community on how to solve these glitches.
   Firstly in current game which I've been playing from the start of November I added the mod "New Races Mod" to add some more aliens for variety and a challenge but anytime I try to assault a crashed/landed terror ship, battle ship, terror mission, alien base or if an attacking battleship gets through the base defences the game crashes to my desktop. Seemingly atm this seems to be only involving Calcinites/Deep Ones on the previously mentioned missions. Is this just too many mods conflicting with each other as I've 50 active atm.
  Secondly and this is very minor, the ufopaedia entry for the first clip of the Mechtoid Scorcher weapon doesn't show the text explaination. I've tried editing the ruleset with notepad+ changing the extra string entry from en-US to en-GB and I tried using OX ruleset editor without any success. Thanks for any advice.

Offline volutar

  • Colonel
  • ****
  • Posts: 355
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 06:45:27 pm »
Shouldn't it be in the particular mod feedback thread?

Offline SIMON

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 711
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:49 pm »
Yep, sorry about that but there doesn't seem to be an option to add attachments in the mod threads.

Offline WhiskeyBob

  • Sergeant
  • **
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:37 pm »
Sometimes I encounter situations, where my troop always misses. Just for fun, I've reload more than hundred times. Tested with snap or sniper shots, and 32% hit probability. I'm not sure if there will be a miss with next reload, so I just came closer to an alien. )))

Offline Arthanor

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2560
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:52:49 pm »
In OpenXCom's options, there is a choice regarding save scumming. That might be your issue?

If you don't have save scumming activated, saving, doing an action, reloading and performing exactly the same action will have exactly the same outcome because the computer's random number generator will generate the same number. So if you have a sniper with a 99% chance shot, save, take the shot and miss, then reload and miss again, and again, it's normal, your computer generated the 1% chance of missing for your next shot and that was saved when you saved the game, so when you reload and try again it sill will miss.

Ways around this include: perform a different action after reloading the game (ex.: shoot with a different soldier), then come back to take the shot with the sniper. It will now use the next number in the random series, which will likely be a hit. Of course, that's "gaming" the RNG.

The other option is to allow save scumming, which means that every time you load, the computer will start on a new random number series, and in that case, loading then taking a shot multiple times should produce results close to expected.

Offline WhiskeyBob

  • Sergeant
  • **
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 01:16:35 pm »
Hi,
  I've changed random numbers generator seed creation in .ini file, so new seed is generated every time I reload. Just encountered several cases when reloading doesn't help. :) It's not much a problem, since it is easy to solve it by moving my soldier closer to an alien. :)

Offline WhiskeyBob

  • Sergeant
  • **
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:34:19 pm »
I finally found "Save scumming" ingame, I think I turned this trigger already using hex editor. )
I also encounter constant collision form glitches, when firing from behind wall corner. A shooter much likely will hit a wall corner, rather than its target.

Offline Arthanor

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2560
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:39:52 pm »
OpenXCom actually takes into account which hand your gun is in when calculating projectile trajectory.

Firing from your right hand while taking cover behind a left corner (ie a corner that will shield your left side) is a great way to engage aliens. They carry their guns in the right hand, so for them firing at a right corner (a corner that shields their right side) means that they will hit the wall much more than you do.

Firing from your left hand while taking cover behind a right corner is also not bad, but the alien will be firing from the right hand behind a left corner, so it's a wash. Of course, try to avoid firing from your right hand behind a right corner, because then you'll hit the wall and the alien will hit you!

This is a non-trivial consideration when breaching UFOs. Even entirely symmetric UFOs have a better breaching path because of the corner(s) you can take advantage of.

Offline volutar

  • Colonel
  • ****
  • Posts: 355
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »
This was vanillified in recent commits. 1. origination point itself. 2. And wrong usage of eye instead of the barrel to calculate target point.

They both caused lots of wrong no line of fire and corner hit. Use nightly.

Offline Arthanor

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2560
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 05:24:38 pm »
So what changed recently in the nightly?

It seems like you imply the calculation of trajectory has been reverted back to vanilla where units shoot from center to center (I think?).

Offline ivandogovich

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2409
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 05:26:47 pm »
@ Volutar:  are you saying that the right-hand/left-hand no longer matters in the Nightly? 

And Arthanor!  I never had a clue this was how it worked !  It makes a bunch of sense now, and explains a bunch of my mistakes!  Thanks ! :D

Offline Arthanor

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2560
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 05:54:40 pm »
Yeah, I remember reading something to that effect here on the forums, although it is possible that I misinterpreted it.

It seems to be making a difference for me, like making breaches of the left/south side of vanilla a medium scout easier (an alien coming out of that door hits the wall a lot instead of a properly positioned soldier, since the gun in his right hand is close to the wall).

That's also why I am interested in what changed now..

Offline volutar

  • Colonel
  • ****
  • Posts: 355
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 06:27:37 pm »
This and this.

First one changes origin point to the center (front center). This was done after number of playtestings of TFTD, which has really lots of diagonals, and small rooms. Left-right weapon positioning became too prominent, when aliens can't shoot, or you can't shoot, in lots of places (in xcom1 it was mostly just the entrance point).

Second one fixes a minor miscalculating of target point. But the effect of it should be quite noticeable. Chances to miss by hitting some obstacle should be much less now. Units should demonstrate more expected behavior, for both sides, xcom and aliens.

But still, estimating of the target coordinate is not optimal. I've had an idea about it for couple of years (since implementing scanning and targeting proper tile voxel), but didn't really work on this matter, yet.

Add: First and second are mixed in the descriptions.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:21:39 am by volutar »

Offline Arthanor

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2560
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 06:31:51 pm »
Interesting! Thanks for the info!

I guess it makes sense instead of trying to to stick with stiff sprites to do something to represent the units adapting even though the graphics don't.

Offline Warboy1982

  • Administrator
  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 2337
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: MINOR GLITCHES
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:28 am »
actually the first one changed the AI's estimations for where on the map it could shoot from, meaning they're less likely to target units that they can see but not physically hit because of the disparity between vision and bullet origin points. in a nutshell it means they won't waste shots as often anymore.