Author Topic: What will happen in OpenXcom in 2015?  (Read 7915 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
What will happen in OpenXcom in 2015?
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:08:17 pm »
Hello,

We already have 2014. In 2014 OpenXcom has reached 1.0

What do you think will happen in 2015 in OpenXcom?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What will happen in OpenXcom in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:00:18 pm »
We can switch to FireFox way of version numbering and have OXC 9.0 at end of this year :D

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:20:53 pm »
We can switch to FireFox way of version numbering and have OXC 9.0 at end of this year :D
The awfulest idea ever sounded in this place.

2015 will be year of TFTD.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:25:05 pm by volutar »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »
The awfulest idea ever sounded in this place.

If it was serious, I would agree with you :)

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 07:18:34 pm »
would be nice to have community edition mod finally :)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:28:07 pm »
Comunity edition mod? What that would be ?

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:29 pm »
something like bman mod for ufo extraterrestrials

one mod with limited options for player for optimal gameplay that enhance original game play 
modders like to change options, players do not. They prefer game to give them best experience by default.

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:27 am »
We have FMP. Other than no way to disable or enable anything, especially not nearly as much as Bman's mods, I would certainly call it a community pack.

And just because Xenonauts calls it the community edition does not mean that you guys need to start throwing that phrase around. It works for them, it doesn't anywhere else. The main point being that the CE in Xeno is the only way that game will ever get updates since Chris has moved on, whereas OXC is still regularly being updated with the nightlies.

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:10 am »
Comunity edition mod? What that would be ?
If my experience in other modding communities is any indication, a huge bundle of hundreds of different mods, many of them buggy or obsolete, with little consideration to how well they work together, often making the game even clunkier and less appealing than before

Personally, even today I think the only "Must Have" mod is Luke's UFO pack, and MAYBE the Cover Aliens since they are so well made and adhere perfectly to the game's original style.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:52:59 am by Tarvis »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:35 am »
If my experience in other modding communities is any indication, a huge bundle of hundreds of different mods, many of them buggy or obsolete, with little consideration to how well they work together, often making the game even clunkier and less appealing than before

@Tarvis : Heheh.  Rather down on mods and modders, I take it?

Cheers, Ivan :)

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:00:10 am »
Don't get me wrong, I love mods and I love that they add so much longevity to the game. That being said, a very large proportion of them tend to be crap, and in many cases things much of the community see as "must haves" completely alter the feel of the game such that I don't like the idea of "must have mods" in general (see Brutal Doom and all of its controversy within the Doom community if you want an example)

Everyone always has their own idea of what "the ideal (game name) experience" is. That's part of why mods exist in the first place

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:04:20 am »
Cool, I get you.

The biggest issue that I see with mods is game balance.    So many "good ideas" can completely break a game.   It takes a great deal of skill, and I suspect play testing to successfully balance a game.

Cheers, Ivan :)
Oh yeah.  the only other Must have mod: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/improved-hand-objects

;)
(no balance breaker there)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 04:07:46 pm »
A "community pack" is sort of what I had in mind when I started the XCom Armoury Expanded. It is a collection of mods from other people with some tweaks so that they work well together and maintain some balance. Obviously, introducing just about any feature but new graphics changes balance, but a different balance is not necessarily worst than the vanilla with its super laser rifle/heavy plasma/flying suit.

That's also why I kept everything modular. Being part of the XAE should mean everything plays well together but still allows you to pick what you want and leave the rest behind. I have plans for an alien version eventually as well, to bring together all the alien races, missions and weapons in a cohesive whole instead of the current situation.

But it's a lot of work.. maybe sometimes in 2015 it'll make it to the modsite...

Offline WhiskeyBob

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Terragame
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »

This would be most appreciated! If I can help as tester, please PM. I don't have much time, but I have experience with commercial game projects. :)