Author Topic: [WEAPON/ARMOR] SPACE MARINES  (Read 93617 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON/ARMOR] SPACE MARINES
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:26 pm »
They actually got sued to hell by GW who was trying to get them to close business, but they stood up to it and won, so they are still in business. It's interesting to see that they are releasing models which state "This kit is designed to be used with the Eldar Howling Banshees model rules." That's not saying they are alternate models for Eldar Howling Banshees, but.. it's skirting the law for sure. I am surprised to see the exact race and unit names there.

CS are doing interesting stuff, but one of the consequence is also GW's current obsession to only release rules for which there are models, to the point that new releases are now models first without any knowledge of the rule until they come printed in their magazine, or in the codex that comes all the way at the end. Thinking of buying that new shiny model? Better buy a magazine or wait 4 more weeks to find out if it's any good! (or go online, to forums or torrents..)

Anyhow.. probably not the right thread now that I think of it.. Bring moar Speez Mahreens! I'm thinking Dioxine's raider faction could easily be turned into chaos cultists as an easy first 40k-ish enemy instead of sectoids.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »
 it´s cool as long you don't "make a buck"... used to do some work for a mod in c&c renegade and EA give the permition to mod as (dune or generals or some shit , can´t remember) as long is open and free, can´t remember now the full situation but you see the point , so this is just fan work  (like a drawing of 40k universe , if i don´t sell or use it for profit they wont fall on you)

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 02:24:22 pm »
it´s cool as long you don't "make a buck"... used to do some work for a mod in c&c renegade and EA give the permition to mod as (dune or generals or some shit , can´t remember) as long is open and free, can´t remember now the full situation but you see the point , so this is just fan work  (like a drawing of 40k universe , if i don´t sell or use it for profit they wont fall on you)

I saw GW send cease and desist notice on fanwork before, but most notices are just scare tactics. You're likely protected by fair use or parody exceptions.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »
....  a thunderhawk as been dispached to aid us in your quest

It is better then original:
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/warhammer-40-000-chaos-gate-456

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 09:09:44 pm »
Been away for long and Ho-ly!.. nice, i have to admit i had real issues what kind of ship i would make to transport troops, but that looks nice! ... i was orginally planning to go with Arvus Lighter eg. https://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp115/Ash-2-photos/Imperial/Arvus%20Lighter/Arvus2240.jpg as its smaller and would be easier to make to xcom, but that Thunderhawk looks great. ill post it on to front thread and give credits.

Also nice to hear ramblings about license issues, i myself also have gone to the way, that this is free mod and for everyone to modify for their liking. i hopefully think that there wouldnt be any issues with anything as long as i dont make any profit of this, its just love for wh40k universe... inb4 i start changing names to Space Grunts and Bülterguns soon :D

As for progress, its quite stalled for now. i have very little time to work on this, currently working irl.. gotta get living and so on. Not saying that iv completely stopped, i do some stuff here and there when i have inspiration and free time. Propably will continue after christmas when my current job ceases (or continues who knows)

Prolly "major" thing is that heavy weapons will be now Shoulder mounted as in pre-heresy times. (1st Codex baby!) since i cant really fit heavy weapons "nicely" enough to the sprites (as you may seen using heavy bolter when shooting, half of the sprite disappears, and is quite messy) see below image for inventory screen. yay or nay to shoulder mounted? ...expect lascannons ,meltas, rockets to be this kind also...

Also, should weapons be classic red colored to stand more out of the marine?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 09:37:12 pm »
Prolly "major" thing is that heavy weapons will be now Shoulder mounted as in pre-heresy times. (1st Codex baby!) since i cant really fit heavy weapons "nicely" enough to the sprites (as you may seen using heavy bolter when shooting, half of the sprite disappears, and is quite messy) see below image for inventory screen. yay or nay to shoulder mounted? ...expect lascannons ,meltas, rockets to be this kind also...

Hell yay! Shoulder mounted ftw. And while we're at it, why not make the bolters also follow the old designs? I've never got used to this overgrown-MP-5 pattern that has appeared around the 3rd ed... (the uninitiated can see an example of such an old bolter - already 'modernized' a tiny bit - in that Chaos Gate screenshot) :)

As for the colors, it's stupidly easy to recolor stuff with Falko's tools, so it doesn't really matter - when you finish doing pixel art, you can have that picture recolored to any and all of 15 XCom's colors in 5% of that time. Having said that, I've always liked red bolters, not only on Blood Angels :)

Oh also - shoulder-mounted Heavy Bolters were good only for a dozen of shots w/o reloading afaik (but strong as hell), isn't that magazine too long?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:43:06 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 10:06:13 pm »
Shoulder mounted looks good, but it might fit better with older armor marks :P Just joking ;) sort of...

Also, don't worry about the colors, recoloring is indeed very easy and I expect we will have lots of that since people have their own chapter preferences. I'm already planning a Black and a Yellow recolors, for Templars and Imperial Fists.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
And we should not forget that ruleset allow change colors on rank (one color) and nationality/gender (3 colors).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 11:25:07 pm »
Change shoulderpad fill according to rank :D

Although it doesn't really work with the idea of a chapter keep somewhere, it could be cool to make nationalities that become different chapters for a more crusade force.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »
Several chapters work together in the "Deathwatch" Space Marines  that serve the Ordo Xeno , they keep the chapter insignia shoulder pad and the other pad is deathwatch , still the lore is always changing in this 40k universe so is always better to stick to the Codex Astartes builder ultramarines , if you do a space wolves mod is like living hell , too many details, animals, no standard insignia and all sort of crazy shit

--- posts merge ---

Praise the Emperor! more reinforcements have arrived

WIP ( maybe next week i will realease it)

i´m beginning to use your bolter stuff hope u wont mind  ::) , and the biker as your top armor space marine armor , and maybe i will do a venerable dread with space helmet
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:56:43 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2015, 07:21:58 pm »
Praise the Emperor, this is fantastic. I love both the dreadnoughts and the bikes.

What's your opinion on people who steal and modify your sprites (with credit and links to the original mod)? :)

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 08:10:16 pm »
Do as you please , i like people using my stuff, all my content are for people to reuse and improve the game xp

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2015, 08:18:41 pm »
Thanks, then I'll be pushing for the use of bikers to make biker gangsters (Akira style) in Piratez. :)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »
I can't shake off the weird idea that the Space Marines will come to Piratez one day and cleanse the earth of the stargods (and other aliens), demons, hybrids and mutants! Then they will take a closer look on how pure the humanists really are...

The Emperor protects!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »
I can't shake off the weird idea that the Space Marines will come to Piratez one day and cleanse the earth of the stargods (and other aliens), demons, hybrids and mutants! Then they will take a closer look on how pure the humanists really are...

Oh, let's not forget that Space Marines are mutants themselves - albeit sanctioned ones. And the Imperium accepts abhumans readily, so do they accept cyborgs - as long as you're within a broad definition of 'human' (not veering too much from the Holy Human Form), you're fine. They only hate xeno & heretic scum :)