Author Topic: [WEAPON/ARMOR] SPACE MARINES  (Read 93599 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON/ARMOR] SPACE MARINES
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:46 am »
That is.. insane!!

A bit short, but very impressive work :D Looks like it could be quite easily made longer, and also turned into a Storm Raven. Nicely done!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »

You, good sir, are a candidate for my new favourite creator.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:19 pm »
Nice.  :) Now someone just needs to reskin the Chryssalids into Genestealers. Oh and make the rest of the maps look dark and gritty.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:51:22 am »
The thunderhawk picture is it a concept or do you made tileset and craft map ?

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 03:36:32 pm »
"The thunderhawk picture is it a concept or do you made tileset and craft map ?"

click image upload

I´m working in the ruleset and minor image teeks, trying to release this weekend when i have time

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:34 pm »
Very impressive !!! :o

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 02:32:30 pm »
FYI: This comment was posted on the /xcom subreddit when ivandogovich posted a pic of this mod there:

"Uh-oh, GW IP. Cease and desist order incoming."

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:24 pm »
FYI: This comment was posted on the /xcom subreddit when ivandogovich posted a pic of this mod there:

"Uh-oh, GW IP. Cease and desist order incoming."

Ahahahaha. Our servers are in Poland, and I don't believe anyone would treat them seriously there. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »
Hehe, a tiny cute Smurfwagon :) Bit blurry, but still... that sure was a lot of hard work. The most outstanding parts (in the bad way) are: engine intakes and Turbolaser barrel (blurry as hell), Imperial iconography (as above) and not pronounced enough edge between the roof and the sides. Try using darker tone for the sides. XCom graphics are usually crisp and sharp, at the price of realism, which makes this machine stand out a bit too much (especially since you've used some modified original tiles, which are crisp). Despite criticsm though, I tip my hat to you :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:26:40 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 06:21:30 pm »
Ahahahaha. Our servers are in Poland, and I don't believe anyone would treat them seriously there. :)

Well GW is known to be completely against fan based material or anything that infringes their copyright. Just two years ago they decided to place an absurd lawsuit about a book being sold on Amazon, claiming that they had the trademark of the term 'Space Marine', which is completely laughable.

I don't know if they'll notice a mod made for an open source project of a 20 year old game but I thought it better to inform the author of this mod of their legal attitude regarding these kind of fan projects since /reddit is quite a large medium.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:24:21 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 06:41:15 pm »
Well GW is known to be completely against fan based material or anything that infringes their copyright. Just two years ago they decided to place an absurd lawsuit about a book being sold on Amazon, claiming that they had the trademark of the term 'Space Marine', which is completely laughable.

I don't know if they'll notice a mod made for an open source project of a 20 year old game but I thought it better to inform the author of this mod of their legal attitude regarding these kind of fan projects since /reddit is quite a large medium.

Oh, as a former player (Chaos Space Marines and Dark Elves) I know that, GW is infamous for that in the community. I just think in this climate in Poland, their potential claims will be ignored. At least I've never, ever heard of any legal action of the sort, and it's not like Warhammer fandom isn't large.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 06:50:08 pm »
Yeah.. GW's attitude is despicable some times.. why can't they be happy we like their stuff? (Like Firaxis/Gollop being happy we like XCom!) But I think it mostly deals with unlawfully distributing their stuff. You can't give people something for free that they are trying to sell (rules, or even rumors that cover rules/models that they will be trying to sell later) and you can't sell your own stuff that is in any ways related to GW IP. But in this case, this is GW-inspired art being given at no monetary gains. I have not heard of them going after that. (otherwise there would be no fan art, no pictures of people's models, etc.)

Back to the awesomeness of this, I do echo Dioxine's comments, and the blurriness is also present in the marines themselves. Also, although the tiny hawk is cute, it's supposed to carry 30 marines. A storm raven would fit much better (and in fact, besides the huge gun, looks quite a lot like what you have now. It might save you some time to just switch?)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 08:01:49 pm »
Yeah.. GW's attitude is despicable some times.. why can't they be happy we like their stuff? (Like Firaxis/Gollop being happy we like XCom!) But I think it mostly deals with unlawfully distributing their stuff. You can't give people something for free that they are trying to sell (rules, or even rumors that cover rules/models that they will be trying to sell later) and you can't sell your own stuff that is in any ways related to GW IP. But in this case, this is GW-inspired art being given at no monetary gains. I have not heard of them going after that. (otherwise there would be no fan art, no pictures of people's models, etc.)

They went after Damnatus, even though it was supposed to be distributed for free... only because German law says that invention/art is an inalienable property of the inventor/author and even if he sells/gives away that property, he's still under legal protection and cannot be completely kicked out. From my own field, a German university cannot claim authorship of a technology it developed, all the contributors' rights must be respected regardless of arrangement - in Poland it looks very differently, the university can capitalize on an invention - or supress it - while the authors, if they were working for it, are basically slave labour.
From what I know, GW have decided that 'every piece of fan material is GW's sole property', even though such claim has no basis in legal systems of most countries. Even their claim on rules is shoddy since the law cannot deny you memorizing stuff and noting it down later. BUT... threatening people who 'infringe' costs them nothing, and most people simply choose to forfeit than try to fight them, even if there is no legal base to a GW claim.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:04:01 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 08:30:47 pm »
These guys:

https://www.chapterhousestudios.com/

They're actually selling this stuff.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 08:53:10 pm »
Yeah they do not use any trademarks or trademark names (no, Space Marine in itself is NOT a trademark name, since it consists of normal words, neither was GW first to use it), so GW can do nothing but fret. But you need good lawyers to do that kind of stuff, to not accidentally do what crosses the line of being legal. Or, spell Space Marine as космодесантник and don't give a s*it :)