aliens

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Some way to hurt Silacoids with shooting in early game  (Read 1180 times)

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
  • Rogue. D2X HC SP. WoW filmmaker. Epic 40K.
    • View Profile
Currently starting out with OXCE FMP, not sure if the early-game Silacoids with Cthonites is from OXCE or from FMP.

I've noticed repeatedly that Silacoids tend to show up with Cthonites in the early game, which is great. And I may be just a bad player or self-nerfing by not bringing tanks (playing on Experienced right now) and not rushing explosives-shooting weapons early game. That leaves me with very little to do damage to anything with Armour 50 in the early game.

My fault for not preparing well enough, maybe, but this leaves them as a hard counter to any new players that are not specifically prepared for them, to include not being able to hurt them with any shooting weaponry or incendiaries or Grenades (unless you land the throw in the exact tile).

Not really sure how to fix this.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Some way to hurt Silacoids with shooting in early game
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 11:57:24 am »
This should be in the FMP thread, I think.

And it really is a 'you' problem. Among the starter weapons, at least the following weapons are able to harm Silacoids: Stun Rod, HMG, Sniper Rifle, Large Rocket, High Explosive, AP Mine. Several of these are non-"explosives-shooting". The miniguns might not work immediately, but they strip armour even when doing no damage. Tanks also work, as you said yourself.

Even Rifles might work occasionally when rolling high, since 50 < 2*30. So will hand grenades that land in the exact same tile.

Basically, the mod is not to meant to be played with an "I will faceroll every enemy regardless of my weapon choices" mindset.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 11:59:51 am by Juku121 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 01:16:48 pm »
moved to Modding > Released Mods

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 02:28:30 pm »
Also, I checked the most traditional weapons, regular rifles and plain grenades. It is possible to kill Silacoids with those, too. It takes about three grenades that don't miss by more than one tile, and something to the tune of 30 rifle hits (a doze, if you get lucky). The latter is not really viable, but still kinda possible if you insist of using only rifles and savescum or tactical-wizard your mission so that you can shoot them with impunity (and take enough ammo with you).

TLDR: Silacoids are perfectly killable with even starter weapons.

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
  • Rogue. D2X HC SP. WoW filmmaker. Epic 40K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2024, 10:32:35 pm »
Thank you all very much. Looks like I was overestimating the problem to some extent.

Anti-personnel mines seem to be the best bet for early game, along with the good old Rocket Launcher and accurate Grenades.