Author Topic: Valkyria: Triton in OpenXcom  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Valkyria: Triton in OpenXcom
« on: December 30, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »
I've tried to use Triton as a base for new craft, Valkyria, but I've run into couple problems.
Graphics - Wrong graphics appear in battlescape minimap.
Sounds - when soldier walk on the crafts deck, or its roof, they make squishy sounds, rather than proper metallic ones
placement - ocassionally, on missions craft appears stuck inside the building, or has a tree sticking out of it. (most of time time this happens with MiB terror missions, so it could be mods conflict fault)
How do I fix the minimap?
How do I make it use proper walking sounds?
I even managed to get palette work "good enough" (at first the craft was pink...) So I would really like to finish this.
Any advice?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyria: Triton in OpenXcom
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
I've tried to use Triton as a base for new craft, Valkyria, but I've run into couple problems.
Graphics - Wrong graphics appear in battlescape minimap.
Sounds - when soldier walk on the crafts deck, or its roof, they make squishy sounds, rather than proper metallic ones
placement - ocassionally, on missions craft appears stuck inside the building, or has a tree sticking out of it. (most of time time this happens with MiB terror missions, so it could be mods conflict fault)
How do I fix the minimap?
How do I make it use proper walking sounds?
I even managed to get palette work "good enough" (at first the craft was pink...) So I would really like to finish this.
Any advice?

To fix the sounds and minimap graphics you need to edit the Triton's MCD file. However, it will not be possible to reproduce the Triton's look on the minimap since all of the MCD files use the same file for the minimap images, so you're stuck with the Skyranger/Lightining/Avenger images for the minimap.

The placement issues have to do with the map generation rules.

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:07:18 pm »
Placement problems may come from recent map scripting - i would advise to try running the game twithout additional mods.

There have been succesfull tries to use Triton hull in batlescape https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1312.msg12223.html#msg12223.
There have been succesfull tries to use minimap sprites https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1312.msg12540.html#msg12540 (this ship may be Leviathan, don't remember exactly).
These changes aren't in master branch, but are possible to achieve in the future.

For sounds i would advise to wait for TFTD ruleset release.

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:57:06 pm »
To fix the sounds and minimap graphics you need to edit the Triton's MCD file. However, it will not be possible to reproduce the Triton's look on the minimap since all of the MCD files use the same file for the minimap images, so you're stuck with the Skyranger/Lightining/Avenger images for the minimap.

The placement issues have to do with the map generation rules.

Pretty much this. MCD editor allowed me to fix sounds, and select slighly less horrible minimap. I guess I would have to wait for perfect mod untill TFTD comes out.