Author Topic: [WEAPON] Weapons Melee Tech  (Read 18639 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons Melee Tech = 3 melee weapons for Xcom
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:53:29 am »
Yep good advice tho in my 1st engagement in my current game had 2 tanks draw all reaction fire and had my troop who had a viper assault cannon in 1 hand and ripper in the other go point blank with a floater and do do some cosmestic surgery on him.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:58:58 am »
Yep good advice tho in my 1st engagement in my current game had 2 tanks draw all reaction fire and had my troop who had a viper assault cannon in 1 hand and ripper in the other go point blank with a floater and do do some cosmestic surgery on him.

LOL ! 

Remember! Rippers and Auto-Axes don't scale off Strength  and all have a flat rate damage. They do use melee skill for accuracy though. So high str or low str doesn't matter they always deal same damage. I  recommend having a few rippers on low str  high TU/stamina soldier as a side weapon . Only costs 10 TU to hit so you can get way more damage than a pistol/ rifle etc. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:00:38 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 05:19:01 am »
@SIMON  ADDED sound effects.  Used the ones from Fallout 2 for ripper and fallout 3 for autoaxe but modified to be shorter. Let me kno if is too loud or not loud enough.

& added a new weapon Grinder.

There is an optional ruleset to disable Grinder if you don't want to have it.

Grinder is part of the auto-axe type tech while Ripper is just separate tech. Ripper is not prerequisite for anything. If you play with Grinder you need to research Elerium then Grinder then Chrysalid autopsy then Auto-Axe then Heavy Auto-Axe. If you disable Grinder is Elerium + Chrysalid Autopsy -> Auto-Axe -> Heavy Auto-Axe.

I won't be adding any more weapons to melee tech. That's it. Is all about balancing stats now tweaking graphics and minor fixes. But mod is petty much done right now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:58:04 am by tollworkout »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons Melee Tech = 3 + 1 optional melee weapons for Xcom
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 01:16:32 pm »
IMO the sounds r just about right, far far better than the bog standard melee and different from the TFTD lances. Looking forward to shaving a muton with the grinder.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:26 pm »
One Spriting idea:  To Distinguish the Auto Axe and Heavy a little more, go with Three Blades on the Auto Axe.  Then, the will be easier to distinguish at a glance.   Just my two cents. :)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »
IMO the sounds r just about right, far far better than the bog standard melee and different from the TFTD lances. Looking forward to shaving a muton with the grinder.
thanks SIMON. let me know about balance issues .

One Spriting idea:  To Distinguish the Auto Axe and Heavy a little more, go with Three Blades on the Auto Axe.  Then, the will be easier to distinguish at a glance.   Just my two cents. :)

Ivan. thanks.  I think I chose 4 cause thats how the FO3 one was . im gonna fool around see if it works with 3 . but i kinda like 4 :) also makes it easier to draw the handob.

i think ripper still needs balancing. is small and portable and low TU high damage
im gonna make it 12 TU instead of 10 .would make it more fair and make grinder more useful.
so it would be ripper 12 TU, grinder 10 TU, auto-axe 15 TU, heavy auto-axe 20 TU...that way grinder is bigger but much faster due to continually rotating blade...ripper is a bit slower cause it requires a bit of powering on and off warmup...and auto-axes are just more heavy and clunky making hand attack a bit slower
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:50:28 pm by tollworkout »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 09:19:42 pm »
Ivan. thanks.  I think I chose 4 cause thats how the FO3 one was . im gonna fool around see if it works with 3 . but i kinda like 4 :) also makes it easier to draw the handob.

Yeah, it was partly the handob I had it mind.  How easy is it to distinguish between the two auto axes right now on the soldiers?  Also, I notice that there is already a three way light grey / silver looking mini blade on top of the axe blades, and that is what got me thinking about it.  Idk if that shows in your handobs, but it could make it easier to re-sprite it.  Anyway, like I said, just some feedback.  The mod looks pretty cool.

My only other thought about the mod:  melee wasn't part of UFO... and it wasn't brought in until TftD.  When it was brought in, it was specifically a counter for the armor of LobsterMen.  We don't have the same Uber-armored foes in UFO, so these might be a little unbalanced. 

I love WarBoy's combat knife mod!  I love having the melee attacks in the game!  I love them for their speed, and I love them as part of the tension of getting close enough to take a foe down with them, or the "Oh, Crap..." enemy in your face surprise moments when breaching subs, etc.  With first tier enemies, the combat knife has been superb!  Even with the misses!  I usually only give it to melee skill 36 and higher (unfortunately StatStrings isn't coded to read melee and mark it, so I manually add an indicator for it), and hit at least once out of three swings.  But when I do connect, I drop sectoids and floaters every time.   Its so satisfying!

Anyway, despite all the rambling, balance will probably be a big part of making this set of tool successful, so good luck!
Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:53 pm »
Hey ivan! thanks for the feedback.

I am gonna experiment with 3 blades look I will post here. Right now I am working on a new strange weapon is 50% done.

And you're right about melee+lobster man in TFTD.  And to be honest I am actually in the works of creating a new alien unit  that is highly armored foe with built in melee attack similar to lobsterman which , like lobsterman, would take extra damage from melee and stun but very little damage otherwise. This new unit would be an extension of one of the current races in the game. I was pondering also making a new race maybe but first one for sure. 

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON] Weapons Melee Tech
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »
Still enjoying this mod a lot but upon looking @ the manufacturing screen I saw the attached. Is this not a bit odd?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 06:58:01 pm »
thanks Simon..i  didn't add a category . I will add one right now! sorry. 1 sec:)

EDIT: not only that but I think the grinder was missing it's manufacturing option.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:14:40 pm by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:20 pm »
Still enjoying this mod a lot but upon looking @ the manufacturing screen I saw the attached. Is this not a bit odd?

SIMON, melee tech 1.4 is up fixes manufacturing bug on Ripper, missing manufacturing option for Grinder (the item was in the game but could not be manufactured) and rebalances Ripper TU to 12 (previously 10). 10 TU was a bit too OP for a lil portable weapon with 65 damage and 150% acc.  Not even stun rod i think is that good. 15 would be too much 12 is fair. Now Grinder is the only one with 10 still.  Also made ufopaedia entry for Ripper more nice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:24:17 pm by tollworkout »

Offline shadics

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 05:35:01 am »
i don't know, but i can't hear the saw. I only hear the regular xcom sound :/. Any idea?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 06:31:51 am »
hmmm.. maybe latest nightly has something to do with it? or you might be missing the sound. try reinstalling?

which rul are you using?

the regular sound is the hit sound and is there normally . but the chain sound is my own added attack sounds. in other words the hit sound should be there IN ADDITION to the chainsaw/auto axe sounds.

give me all the details and i will investigate right away
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:33:57 am by tollworkout »

Offline shadics

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 03:33:45 am »
hmmm.. maybe latest nightly has something to do with it? or you might be missing the sound. try reinstalling?

i've already reinstalled the mod and still not working, yes i have the latest nightly

which rul are you using?

''Weapons_Melee_Tech''

the regular sound is the hit sound and is there normally . but the chain sound is my own added attack sounds. in other words the hit sound should be there IN ADDITION to the chainsaw/auto axe sounds.

give me all the details and i will investigate right away

ok, but i can't hear the sounds you added  :-\

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 12:37:48 am »
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Ahem, this mod will be quite enjoyable I must say. I already can think of squads totting plasma pistols and those beuties. BTW we need a mod to recolour power armor red now.