Author Topic: Is there any way to keep aliens 'blinded' after the 20th turn?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
Is there any way to keep aliens 'blinded' after the 20th turn?
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:49:29 pm »
I think I've seen somewhere that after 20 turns have passed, aliens can see your positions and become more aggressive. I'm OK with the last one, though I find few reasons why they should in real life :P. But I really don't like aliens to know my exact locations: it's just cheating.

I remember one time I got into the battleship and started searching the inside, and found out that their strategy became way too much optimal after the 20th turn. I could just feel to my bone that they were behaving as if they knew my exact location. So I used save/load to test it, and indeed they were so cunning that it was almost ridiculous: they changed their strategy even to a slight change of my agent's location.

Could it be possible to provide an option to get rid of those godly eyes from aliens? I think we were having enough with mind controls already ::)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to keep aliens 'blinded' after the 20th turn?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:00 pm »
In large mission like Alien base, if a single stunned alien recovers behind your lines, you'll spend HOURS looking for it.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »
"if you love sausages, do yourself a favour, don't ask how they're made." - Some famous guy, probably.

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »
In large mission like Alien base, if a single stunned alien recovers behind your lines, you'll spend HOURS looking for it.

Yes, but maybe it would be possible to just make them have higher tendency to get close to X-COM agents, not acting on the information about the exact locations, or something like that. I think that would be too much cumbersome to implement so it won't be possible but hey, I'm just giving my thoughts that's all ::)

"if you love sausages, do yourself a favour, don't ask how they're made." - Some famous guy, probably.

Er... can I get some chickens instead? I love chickens 8)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »
Try to clear out the second stage of a colony assault in TFTD :D

"Clear out" as in "killing all aliens", not as in "destroy the objective and the haul ass to the exit"

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »
I was going to suggest an option to crank up aggression after 20 turns instead of knowing XCom locations, but that doesn't help if the aliens don't know where to attack..

I guess in the interest of keeping things short, if you're not winning after 20 turns, you might start losing ;)

One compensation comes from the morale system though. Unless you're super cautious, you should have killed a fair amount of aliens in 20 turns and they are likely to start panicking, which means a whole bunch of weaponless aliens (or stupid ones shooting walls with their blaster/small launchers and taking themselves out).

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »
I think we were having enough with mind controls already ::)

Well there's your explanation right there, the whole time the alien commanders back at base are psychically scanning the battlescape, by turn 20 they have pinpointed all of the X-Com operatives and even tho they are too far away to intervene directly they are feeding your locations to the aliens on the ground. :P

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:30:23 am »
Try to clear out the second stage of a colony assault in TFTD :D

"Clear out" as in "killing all aliens", not as in "destroy the objective and the haul ass to the exit"

I haven't played TFTD yet unfortunately :(

I was going to suggest an option to crank up aggression after 20 turns instead of knowing XCom locations, but that doesn't help if the aliens don't know where to attack..

Yeah, but I think it would be possible to just make them move closer agent's side (one could use the mind control algorithm to direct the location, if needed) without acting based on the new location(as an option, of course). For example, there was a cyberdisk inside a battleship in front of a gate or something, and my agents were almost ready to break in. What was frustrating was that on my test, if I stopped one of my agents near to the gate, the disk came out next turn and melted him. On the other hand, if the distance was far 'enough', that disk just stayed in there forever. And I have to say it was even extremly hard to find that disk since it was just waiting for me there forever! (and that ship was one of the newly added UFOs...) So I think making aliens to move to my side would actually be a better idea if one is concerned about the forever-searching problem(well, this is slightly different story but I'm just saying ;))

Well there's your explanation right there, the whole time the alien commanders back at base are psychically scanning the battlescape, by turn 20 they have pinpointed all of the X-Com operatives and even tho they are too far away to intervene directly they are feeding your locations to the aliens on the ground. :P

Yes, and that was what I was kind of... imagining ::). So that means aliens have telepathy or something. Even reapers?!! Or maybe those lower class aliens just get injected the image or information, or something like that...