Author Topic: Feature Request #255: Add *net* income to the funding screen  (Read 6936 times)

Offline BtySgtMajor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Feature Request #255: Add *net* income to the funding screen
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:00:42 am »
Ok, took a crack at this as well if anyone wants to have a look. :)

https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/967

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request #255: Add *net* income to the funding screen
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:44 am »
could you possibly add a before/after screenshot to the PR, just to help visualize what the change does?

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:29:20 am »
No ss so I'm not sure entirely what's going on here, but I would love to be able to see, on one screen, how much TOTAL all of my bases are costing me rather than going to each one and breaking out the calculator.

Offline BtySgtMajor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:13:55 am »
Sure, check out the attachments.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:53:59 am »
Great Feature! Me Likes!  ;D

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:57 pm »
Is there any room to add a few pixels between the country lines and the totals, or are we at our min-resolution-maximum height already?

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:40 pm »
Maybe the OK button could be moved over or something, or a scrolling menu could be used for the countries ... you know, in case someone mods in more countries? :x

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »
Looks good, will definitely use!

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:16:00 am »
Frankly, I woulnd't respect funding screen altering, especially cluttering it up with some additional weird market terms like "GROSS" and "NET".

I would respect more expanding screen "Monthly costs" (from the "Base info"). This screen is half-filled, has lots of free space, and what is more important - it contains FLAWS. Currently "Income" means TOTAL project income (same as in Funding), but "Total" means not project TOTAL like EVERYONE would expect, but only THAT particular base Total. And no info about overall Total.

It was really dumb to mix those different-scope values into one row.

Personally I assume that as initial Gollop's logic and design oversight, which should be fixed in OpenXcom. And it's not a "feature". It's just how it should be justified to fit hierarchical structure and logic.

Code: (Was:) [Select]
Income=$3 463 000                     Total.......$879 000
Code: (Become:) [Select]
                               Base Total.........$879 000
Income=$3 463 000              Expenditures.....$2 564 000
"Total" is renamed to "Base Total" since this value is about this particular base, and there's no any individual "Income" for this base, of course.
"Project Total" value will be the same for each base, as currently "Income" is. And logically they are in the one row, since they are about total project budget. I'm not sure if we should rename "Income" into "Project Income", but I think it's fine like that.

There was always LACK of that "total base expenditures" info and people sometimes went into "broke", just being misled by this "total" value. We just need to fix that, and there will be no need in changing "funding" screen.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:32:59 am by volutar »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »
I remember that happening to me as a kid: Check maintenance cost, much lower than income, good. End of the month comes and *bam* huge chunk of money disappears. Then I learned what those numbers meant.

I fully support the idea of making things less misleading in the base information window. (And maybe removing rows for crafts that are based at the base too? Seeing "Skyranger...............0; Interceptor.....................0;" etc. in the budget is kind of stupid. If it's not costing me anything because I don't have any, I don't need to be told about it..).

As for this page, I like the idea of the added information and I assume that, if you have more countries, it just turns into a scrollable list like pretty much everything else in OXC? Maybe changing the terms to: Funding Total and Gains (or Loss if < 0) would be better than gross and net income (since those are more about taxes..).

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 06:40:00 pm »
people sometimes went into "broke", just being misled by this "total" value.
I remember that happening to me as a kid
Happened to me a few months ago  :-[

The funding system itself is not very consistent, unfortunately... The budget for the next month is used to pay the bills of the previous month.
This means that on 31/01 23:50 the numbers add up to a positive balance, but if the funding change does not go in your favor, you're surprised by a negative result.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 06:49:42 pm »
hehe Since then, I tend to sit on some money at the end of the months just to make sure things go well.

Think of the money timeline as:

01/01: Get money for January
01/01-31/01: Spend money
31/01 23:59:59: Pay maintenance for facilities used in January (from whatever money you have at that point)
01/02: Get money for February

I think paying for facilities you have used makes more sense. You're not paying rent (which would be the 1st of the month), but operating/maintenance cost for the month (which you only know at the end of the month).

That does make the idea of "net income" in the income page kind of misleading though, since the only way to ever get exactly that amount is to have a funding change of 0$. The exact thing you just described would happen every month. Maybe it's a good thing that it's not there after all?