Author Topic: So I was thinking about creating an "upgradeable weapons" sort of mod...  (Read 3960 times)

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
  • oh god how did this get here
    • View Profile
Just wondering if this spritework looks passably good. It's simple, but I'm a terrible artist and I've been staring at this for... a while.

Improved rifle:
optics + extended barrel
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:05:01 am by CryptoCactus »

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: So I was thinking about creating an "upgradeable weapons" sort of mod...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:05:48 am »
Improved Laser:
Larger battery + additional venting + reinforced stock
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:08:27 am by CryptoCactus »

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:47:03 am »
Looks good to me. Are you planning on having the manufacture rule consume the rifle for the upgrade? I'm just starting to plan out my tech / manufacturing tree. It's an interesting idea, I'm planning on ammo upgrades so far.

Offline ChainsawAardvark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:44:11 am »
I like where you are going with this, keep up the good work. So far the sprites look very good.

My one thought though, is I'm not sure if they're quite enough.

For technical writing I learned the "CRAP" principle - Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, Placement. In turn this adds up to "Things that are similar should be very similar, those that are not should be very different."

Especially when working with sprites, the differences need to be very extreme to be noticeable. Take heed of the fact that in vanilla, each class of weapon is an entirely different color. (gunmetal, brown, off-white in vanilla, yellow, silver, red in TFTD).

In this case, for upgraded rifles, give them cammo stocks, sights and under-barrel lasers, and curved magazines (aka "tacti-cool") for enhanced lasers add visible blue coolant hoses, possibly venting white steam.

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:42:26 am »
Are you planning on having the manufacture rule consume the rifle for the upgrade?

Yes, I was thinking it'd more or less be (money + original item + requisite materials).

I like where you are going with this, keep up the good work. So far the sprites look very good.

My one thought though, is I'm not sure if they're quite enough.

I wondered about this as well - on one hand, I want to make sure it's still simple enough to distinguish the different classes of weaponry - and the more colors I use, the more difficult that would be. Like you said, right now the weapon color scheme are grey/brown/beige, but if I start adding too much it becomes a rainbow of color and the lines between them get blurred.

So... I dunno yet. Still kicking it around.

Edit: Oh and I seriously considered the tacticool banana clips, but that really implies "more ammo", which is controlled by the clips, not the guns. Hrm.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:44:03 am by CryptoCactus »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:51:42 am »
you can research ammo too, reinforced shotgun mod has examples.

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
you can research ammo too, reinforced shotgun mod has examples.

I know, but (afaik) you can't define different bigobs for the weapon dependent on ammo type. Right?