Author Topic: Simplified+Traditional Chinese Translation  (Read 6579 times)

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Simplified+Traditional Chinese Translation
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:48 am »
I am working on the simplified Chinese translation and traditional and I would appreciate some more help. My Chinese is pretty meh, but I would like to find people willing to help with the more complex sentences. The old traditional Chinese topic is over two years old and it didn't make sense it was only traditional since the only major difference between simplified and traditional is that some characters look slightly different or radically different.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: Simplified+Traditional Chinese Translation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:30 am »
Currently there's no way of glyphic alphabets integration in OpenXcom. There was proposal for modular font concept, but it's there alrady 2 years, at least.

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:56 pm »
Currently there's no way of glyphic alphabets integration in OpenXcom. There was proposal for modular font concept, but it's there alrady 2 years, at least.
So what? That is not going to stop me and others from translating it. Also, if xcom was able to be ported to the playstation with japanese characters Openxcom can do it with enough effort.

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:39 pm »
I can't help you with translating, but there was a discussion about glyphic fons in this thread (especially this reply may be interesting). In theory, if you properly add glyphs to files Language/FontSmall.png and Language/FontBig.png, it should work.

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:55 pm »
I can't help you with translating, but there was a discussion about glyphic fons in this thread (especially this reply may be interesting). In theory, if you properly add glyphs to files Language/FontSmall.png and Language/FontBig.png, it should work.
Thanks hopefully I can find some good fonts, it is going to be especially harder with Traditional Chinese  so that might be a problem.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:11:58 am »
So what? That is not going to stop me and others from translating it. Also, if xcom was able to be ported to the playstation with japanese characters Openxcom can do it with enough effort.
Sure it won't stop you. You could even make png with 10000 glyphs, but it still won't be integrated into OXC.
Reasons:
1. There's no modular font concept implemented. YET. You can only replace, not ADD your fonts to the package (so there are 0 chances for that to be integrated, like it was with Thai, or Japanese).
2. Font size and UI is still not moddable. Japanese PSX version had reworked UI and font drawing algorithms, specially for glyphic language, and it won't work for other languages.
3. You can make your own branch of OXC git, and make that alternative version. But it won't be official and you gonna be constantly updating it and releasing alternative EXEs, like "OpenXcom Extended".

Why all this? I think it's because UI guy from oxc dev team didn't implement that modular font concept. YET.
But you can ask him. And I totally support that.