aliens

Author Topic: Promotions Issue (not sure if bug or feature)  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Dap

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Promotions Issue (not sure if bug or feature)
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:03:08 pm »
I'm a long-term xcom player, but fairly new to Openxcom.  One thing I've noticed is that at the end of a mission, I only ever seem to get one promotion at each level (i.e. only one promotion to sergant, one to captain, etc...)  So if I start a new game and immediately recruit an extra 7 soliders (to bring my total to 15), only one will be promoted to Sergeant at the end of the first mission, instead of the 3 I'd expect.

It gets ever weirder if you recruit a lot of soliders fairly quickly.  Because you're only getting 1 sergeant promotion after each mission, you don't have a lot of sergeants to then be promoted to officers.  I've got one new game where I've got 33 soldiers... but only 1 Cdr, 1 Col, 1 Capt and 1 Sgt!  (I'd expect 3 Capts and 6 Sgts.)

Can anyone tell me if this is a bug, or a deliberate feature?  (And if it is a feature, can anyone tell me why?)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Promotions Issue (not sure if bug or feature)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:30:43 am »
maybe a bug, not sure, i'll look into it. note that soldiers must attain the rank of squaddie before they are eligible for further promotion, so having 50 rookies may not necessarily fill out your ranks. it IS possible to jump from rookie to sergeant, but only in a situation where they would have otherwise been made a squaddie.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:38:37 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Dap

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:14 am »
Thanks Warboy.

To clarify - yes, I do have enough Squaddies.  For example,  if I start a new game and recruit 7 new rookies (to get to a total of 15), and if my first mission is a scout, then there'll usually be enough aliens (i.e. targets)  for me to get about 5 or 6 promoted to squaddie - and of those 5 or 6, I'd expect to see 3 getting direct promotion to Sergeant.  (Certainly, that's how it worked in the original xcom.)  But at the moment, I'm only getting one promotion.

I posted this here because I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not, but I'm happy to raise an issue in the bug tracker if you want me to.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:42:24 am »
I dunno if it's just me or the mod, but sometimes a rookie doesn't become a squaddie even though I know he killed a few aliens with a shotgun.

Offline Dap

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:46:54 pm »
Yes, there was a thread about about that, https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1493.0 (.  That's not the problem I was having - my rookies are being promoted to squaddie, but they're not getting further promotions.

If I have 15 soliders in total (all rookies), and I send 6 on a mission and they all get kills, I'd expect to see all of them being promoted to squaddie and 3 of them getting further promotion to sergeant  (i.e. 3 Sgts and 3 squaddies in total.)  But what's actually happening is only one is being promoted to sergeant, but the others still get promoted to squaddie, so I have 1 sergeant and 5 squaddies.

It happens at higher levels as well - if I have 2 sergeants and 8 squaddies, and hire another 12 rookies, after my next mission I'd expect to see both sergeants being promoted to captain, and 4 of my squaddies promoted to sergeant.  But I'm only actually getting 1 sergeant promoted to captain, and 1 squaddie promoted to sergeant.