aliens

Author Topic: [Total Conversion][WIP] oXc - War of Shadows v0.92  (Read 70433 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [Total Conversion][WIP] oXc - War of Shadows
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »
Just an observation .  If you have any custom bullet sprites, they have to be numbered in groups of 35.  As there are 11 vanilla sprites, any others need to start at 420.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Items

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 04:08:22 am »
Looks like one bullet sprite was set to 11, so rearranged, and hopefully that will address for you . Just tested locally and that one sprite is working. Also corrupted sprites should be fixed in the attached.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
Looks like one bullet sprite was set to 11, so rearranged, and hopefully that will address for you . Just tested locally and that one sprite is working. Also corrupted sprites should be fixed in the attached.

Tested your new package and floorobs and bullets are ok now.

By the way, I really like the new dropship and those pink UFOs.

The ufopedia text of the marsec armors is too long and cannot be read completely.

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2015, 06:00:10 pm »
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the overall art direction on them, but if I get enough time I'd like to modify the terror ship to add some ramps and widen a few doors. The internal layout is too weird right now I think, and it's easy to get caught between sections right now. I fixed some of the equipment strings in ufopedia, and added slides for game over win and lose. So the game should now be playable / winnable with my custom storyline ending.

There's still polish to do on bigobs corpses, and ufopedia art for captures and autopsies. Maps need work too as it's possible for an error on supply ships where the map doesn't resize enough. Diagonal walls need fixes and I haven't had time to work on it.

If there are people who'd like to collaborate to help me wrap this up I'd love to have some help on the map scripts in particular. Art assets for the autopsies and aliens would be a big help too. I'm finding with family commitments I'm having less and less time to work on this but I want to wrap up a pretty polished version of the mod/conversion so I can post on the mods portal.

Remaining Polish Issues
- Bigobs Corpses
- Ufopedia Artwork for Autopsies, Crafts, Captures
- Unit Sprite for organic armor lacks a kneeling state. Part of that is the draw routine. May have to restructure artwork onto standard unit file and append/rearrange tiles.
- I'm sure there's something else I don't remember at the moment.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2015, 12:49:34 pm »
Tested 0.7
Pretty impressive work.  8) *Understatement*

My only critic point would be the Minotaurs, they simply don`t fit into a sci-fi setting. Even though the graphics are very nicely done.  ;)

Btw, what program are you using to edit the RUL files, it seems whenever I try to copy something from those into my own RUL files they get corrupted....  :-[

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2015, 08:58:40 pm »
Tested 0.7
Pretty impressive work.  8) *Understatement*

My only critic point would be the Minotaurs, they simply don`t fit into a sci-fi setting. Even though the graphics are very nicely done.  ;)

Btw, what program are you using to edit the RUL files, it seems whenever I try to copy something from those into my own RUL files they get corrupted....  :-[

Thanks, the minotaurs are sort of a joke, since what were the aliens doing with all of those cows if not trying to make some kind of cow/alien hybrid?

I'm using komodo edit to do my yaml files, most likely you've got white space problems. I've found that's usually what my issue is.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »
Solarious   new_civilian (sorry) make curious me, therefore I loaded your ufomap by Mapview to preview them

I set UFO-engine and UFO-cargo as tilesets

Some north wall appear to me with a wrong tile (destroyed tile ?)

Did I make some error ?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:04:08 pm by davide »

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
Most likely what you are seeing is the force doors. They are animated in game, but are mostly decorative as they don't block line of sight or bullets. I was going for more of an EU2012 vibe here. Also with that configuration, when an engine explodes on landing, it can cause more environmental damage.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:33 pm »
Thanks, I will have a look in game.

I am not play UFO2012 yet,
I bought it by a cheaper offer on Steam, but for now I prefer play with OpenXcom ... ::)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 10:57:48 am »
Tested some of your crafts a bit. They look really great and so I thought I give you some feedback, they are really worth it.  :)

-The Dragonfly has shoot-through issues. I think it's the  ceiling tiles, but I could be wrong.

-The Broadsword is looking very nice BUT it has see-through-hull issues. The HWPs on the special fields can see enemies behind the ship as well as some soldiers in the front when looking diagonally to the north-west. And no, the lifts are NOT the reason, I checked that.

I really like the look though, I can see you studied the original XCom cover artwork very closely!  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:00:24 am by new_civilian »

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:36 pm »
Thanks! I'm pretty sure most of my issues are double diagonal walls, but there was a time I was toying with making windows transparent. Unfortunately I've not had any time to work on this lately so I'm kind of stalled on development until things quiet down a bit more. Of course this is all on bitbucket if someone wanted to try and work with me on these issues to push this thing into an alpha release sooner rather than later.

niculinux

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2016, 05:52:04 pm »
Thanks jackstraw2323! How about to update first post with the latest version you made avaiable (here)?

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
Yeah sorry I've kind of been doing other things. I just downloaded a nightly and looks like I've got some strings to fix now that things have been abstracted a bit more. Or maybe just changing my mod to not declare itself as standalone as a lot of what's in xcom1 is all I'm using. I wanted to get further along, but I should probably just release the 80% complete version of the game as it's basically done except for some graphics polish and some map issues, but maybe in released form someone would like to contribute to help finish up what's done. I'll see if I can update the first page and maybe release something to the mods site soon.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2017, 08:55:58 pm »
jackstraw2323, do you have bigger pictures or 3D models for jarheads? I'm trying to make inventory pictures (to see enemies by middle-click) for the X-COM Files mod, which uses the same animation sprites.

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2017, 11:26:38 pm »
Sadly no, I drew them by hand in the sprite editor, never got around to the inventory corpses or autopsies. Actually all of the sprites I created are done that way with the exception of cannibalized sprites from Front Mission or other old sprite based games. Art direction wise they are sort of Sci-Fi 50's robots. You could possibly get away with a pile of gears and the smashed jar if you were drawing it yourself. I've been meaning to post the mod even though it's slightly unfinished, it is playable, just buggy in spots with some default assets left in place.