Author Topic: Mod Idea, maybe someone has a use for it....  (Read 3263 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mod Idea, maybe someone has a use for it....
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:31:02 pm »
I asked my self today: Why do we still need Transport Crafts in the endgame, why is there no teleport device instead? And here is what i just realized: They are not needed, one could easily make a e.g. simple box with doors that could be teleported to the battlefield. The graphics could use the (fixed)avenger tiles or the lightning ones, because doors would be great, just make a long box, add doors, done, no need for ramps or anything. The speed of the box should be set EXTREMELY high (globe) but it should probably not have weapons, so interceptions are impossible (make no sense).

I haven't made such a mod, but maybe one of you other modders like the idea and hop along with it?  :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Idea, maybe someone has a use for it....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:34:35 pm »
That's a really cool idea. I don't know how you would justify it though.. Aliens are still going around in UFOs and I don't see how XCom would develop teleporting tech if not by reverse engineering alien tech.

That being said, it's an awesome idea for a new alien race. Give them specific missions, with specific UFOs that spawn, move too fast to be seen, and spend a fair amount of time landed. If you manage to catch a "landing" site, it's crawling with aliens but there's no UFO to be seen, except for a strange 1 by 1 teleport homer. That item could potentially be researched and reproduced by XCom later.

That reduces XCom's interception advantage since they no longer take place, and is a less rewarding mission than usual (maybe some Elerium in the homer, but at most very few alien alloys and probably no UFO tech).

I'll remember that when I get around to my alien mod! Nifty!

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:50:57 pm »
I was wondering if something like this was possible for the aliens. I'm working on a mod and I wanted the invasion to be a bit more discreet than xcom usually starts, so the teleporter idea fits in with some of my thinking. Any idea how fast your have to make the ufo for this to simulate a teleporter?

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:11:55 pm »
Could it be a blue box?

Matt Smith already sounds like an X-Com name. :)

-HH

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »
Oh.. If XCom gets to teleport in a box it has to be blue! What a cool idea. Now if only we could make it so that it has a capacity for 20 soldiers while being 1x1..!

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
 :o

Actually working on something exactly along these lines of reasoning at the moment.

Not to reveal too much but I'm trying to put together an early 20th century setting and I was going to make teleporters as the late game craft with certain drawbacks that explain why you don't have them at the beginning of the EU game.

Any idea how fast your have to make the ufo for this to simulate a teleporter?

Haven't got that far in testing it yet, but in the Piratez mod there's a set of "crafts" with maxSpeed: at 9999999

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »
:o

Actually working on something exactly along these lines of reasoning at the moment.

Not to reveal too much but I'm trying to put together an early 20th century setting and I was going to make teleporters as the late game craft with certain drawbacks that explain why you don't have them at the beginning of the EU game.

Haven't got that far in testing it yet, but in the Piratez mod there's a set of "crafts" with maxSpeed: at 9999999

Looking forward to this! About the explanation for teleporting: It simply HAS to be (if used for humans) a late-game/end-game technology, no two ways about that.