aliens

Author Topic: [FINISHED] Let's play OpenXcom (Final Mod Pack)  (Read 58350 times)

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play OpenXcom (Final Mod Pack)
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:26 pm »
Metadata will be required by mods as soon as new filehandling system is in, or so i was told.
not required -- old mods without the metadata.yaml file will still work as long as they are extracted to the new mods directory -- but if the metadata.yaml file isn't present, you won't get any goodies like tooltip descriptions in the in-game mods page.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2015, 08:10:34 am »
hey Meridian -- the next time a soldier dies, could you use my name in your LP?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:32 am »
hey Meridian -- the next time a soldier dies, could you use my name in your LP?

Sure. I am a few episodes ahead, so it'll have to wait until approx. episode #50.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2015, 05:42:22 pm »
awesomeness : )  Thanks

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2015, 11:26:10 am »
First I ordered him to go through a hailstorm of bullets armed only with a stun rod and a knife... arogantly repeating "Don't worry about it" three times! He got shot and wounded immediately, because of my ignorance. But he continued as ordered... and got shot again, poor lad, but still managed to stun that sectoid with the last strength he could gather. Then he was mercilessly set on fire, but he didn't give up and carried an alien (an enemy!) into safety risking his own life. I was about to send a medic, but he had only 2 fatal wounds, so I thought he could hold on just a little while longer... I forgot fire is doing damage per turn too :-( As he was bleeding to death and burning alive at the same time, he listened to orders without question and just stood there knowing the end is nigh. What a brave soul! At the end, his comrades saw he's about to die and tried to eliminate the last alien and end the mission even "against my intentions", but they couldn't hit the guy from so far away. A sad, but epic tale, which should never go forgotten. Mjolner will forever be remembered as a true hero and his name will be engraved on the very top of our memorial wall. R.I.P.

Episode #45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-5kOwYhkX0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:28:56 am by Meridian »

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2015, 04:29:33 am »
Hey Meridian, I have a present for you.

Though if you want it, you'll have to pull it and compile yourself for now.
https://github.com/myk002/OpenXcom/tree/sort_soldiers

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2015, 05:03:54 am »

<3 <3
Thanks Myk002!!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:14 am »
OMG yes myk002! i want this in the main branch right now!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2015, 01:04:34 pm »

Though if you want it, you'll have to pull it and compile yourself for now.
https://github.com/myk002/OpenXcom/tree/sort_soldiers

This is really great myk002... thank you so much!  8)

If I may, I would have a few improvement suggestions:
1. I don't understand what does "Original Order" option mean... doesn't seem to be doing anything... I think it is not necessary and can be removed
2. I would suggest moving the sorting combobox on the bottom... make the [OK] button smaller and have them be next to each other, [Sort] on the left half and [OK] on the right half... this way we save space and can still display 16 soldiers per page instead of only 14... similar as [Memorial] and [OK] buttons on Soldiers screen
3. I would suggest to sort DESCending instead of ASCending... I want to see the best guys first, not the worst guys :) But I guess that's a matter of taste...

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »
1. I don't understand what does "Original Order" option mean... doesn't seem to be doing anything... I think it is not necessary and can be removed
perhaps this option needs a better name.  it restores the order of the soldiers you had when you opened the screen.

2. I would suggest moving the sorting combobox on the bottom... make the [OK] button smaller and have them be next to each other, [Sort] on the left half and [OK] on the right half... this way we save space and can still display 16 soldiers per page instead of only 14... similar as [Memorial] and [OK] buttons on Soldiers screen
yeah, that was where I had it originally..before I found out it didn't work : p  it /can/ work, but it will require a bunch of new code to get the combobox widget to show the list box above the button instead of below.  I'll work on that.

3. I would suggest to sort DESCending instead of ASCending... I want to see the best guys first, not the worst guys :) But I guess that's a matter of taste...
I did it the way I did since the guys at the top are the first off the ramp, so by default I put the "best" guys at the back.  I played around with some interface elements to allow you to choose ascending vs. descending order, but I figured I'd just keep it simple until someone complained.  If it helps, the list no longer resets to the top every time you make a change, so you can just scroll to the bottom and do the sort to see the best guys for each attribute.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:26 pm »
1. ah ok, now I see
2. ok... maybe in the meantime, we could move the [OK] button on the top ;-) would look stupid, but would save space
3. ok, agreed, since the scrolling doesn't reset everytime, sorting ASCending is also OK

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2015, 06:30:29 pm »
Meridian could you stop letting me facetank Mutons?
I barely survived... but got 2 kills jeah!

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
I created a dedicated thread for discussing the "sort by" combobox so I don't hijack this thread ; )

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3644.0.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:49:33 am by myk002 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:55 am »
Meridian could you stop letting me facetank Mutons?
I barely survived... but got 2 kills jeah!

<irony>Well, you are completely expendable (reactions below 56), so I am not too worried about your life. Not sure why I didn't fire you in the first place ;-)</irony>

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:28 am »
<irony>Well, you are completely expendable (reactions below 56), so I am not too worried about your life. Not sure why I didn't fire you in the first place ;-)</irony>

On another glance, how long am i wounded? I saw i had like 50% Health left with probably 2 fatal wounds. So i would be out for 2 weeks at least.

Well the real irony is that usually the guys with average stat seems to learn quicker :)