Author Topic: Video filters for OpenXcom slow down my computer; is there anything I can do?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
My PC has quite a bit of RAM, but it's got a pretty old video card. Some of the filters look pretty good, but anytime I add one, my computer noticeably slows down. Most create a slight but annoying delay, while a few of them, like SABR, bring it to an absolute crawl. I updated the drivers for the video card, but that didn't improve things much. Is there anything else I can try, or is a new video card necessary?

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
Video filters always multiply how hard a game hits your machine but with OpenXcom there should be plenty to spare on any semi-modern computer.

Without knowing more specific information about your computer it's difficult to know why the filters are a problem for you.

Google "how to get a dxdiag file" and attach it. That will tell us pretty much everything we need to know to advise you further. Unless your on a MAC in which case just post your model number and OS version (like OSX Leopard ###). Depending on your hardware and OS I'll have entirely different suggestions and/or follow-up questions.

Otherwise I would want to know what your OS (Windows version) is, your CPU and clockspeed, RAM, GPU, video chipset, current video driver, supported shader model, total VRAM and dedicated VRAM.

Also, unless your are some weird kind of extreme diehard 'X-COM in a Video Filter' fan, I wouldn't recommend dropping Benjamins on a videocard upgrade just for that.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
edit your config, disable vsync, set max fps to unlimited.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Google "how to get a dxdiag file" and attach it. That will tell us pretty much everything we need to know to advise you further.