Author Topic: Armors and damages ???  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
Armors and damages ???
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:38:48 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure of fully understanding the calculation of damage to soldier wearing an armor.  :-[

How are accounted the "xxxxxArmor:" values and the "damagemodifier:" ones ?

Is there any doc/tuto on this part ?

Thanks

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Armors and damages ???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:40 am »
There is a pretty good explanation here.

As far as I understand it, it is a relatively straightforward equation with many constants:

Weapon power: The average damage of a weapon
Armor: The listed armor value corresponding to the siding that has been hit.
DamageModifier: A % damage multiplier.

The only random element comes from the damage rule. In XCom:EU, damage is anywhere between 0% and 200% of the weapon power. In XCom:TftD, damage ranges between 50% and 150%. In either case, the average damage is 100% damage, which means the average damage is equal to the weapon power. It does make a big difference in extremes though (A rookie without armor will almost always die in TftD, whereas you might survive in EU if the random damage is low; conversely, an operative in the best armor in TftD is more likely to survive a direct hit, taking at most 150% of weapon damage, instead of up to 200%).

The equation is then: Damage = (Weapon power * Random damage * Damage Modifier) - Armor.

So if you are taking a plasma pistol hit (Weapon power = 52) to the face (front siding) and you are wearing power armor (Front armor 100, Damage Modifier: 1), with normal EU damage rules, you get:

Damage = (52 * (0% to 200%) * 1) - 100 = (0 to 104) - 100 => Most probably no damage, with a little chance of up to 4 damage.

If you were using the TftD rules, you would take:
Damage = (52 * (50% to 150%) * 1) - 100 = (26 to 78) - 100 => No damage ever(!)

Wearing coveralls, (front armor 12), means you take 0 to 92 with EU rule, or 14 to 66 with TftD rule. Both armor and damage rule can make a big difference!

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »
I prefer the TFTD damage formula.  Sure my unarmored rookies will die from plasma fire 9 times out of 10, but at least I won't get ridiculous instances where I can't kill a single sectoid even with heavy plasma or where only a couple of plasma hits wrecks my hovertank.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »
Yeah, I prefer the TftD damage rules too. There is somewhat of an issue in making pistols weaker in the late game, where you remove the high extreme damage, but overall I like it more because it reduces random events like you described.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:42:58 pm »
I certainly don't like the TftD formula. It makes shooting predictable and gamey, and certainly ress realistic (as much as realism applies to TftD).

It's fine for the explosives, but definitely not for shooting weapons.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:47:16 pm »
I prefer the EU formula, it's nice when the occasional rookie gets saved unscathed from the heavy plasma blast by that bible his mother gave him when he shipped out to join XCom that he keeps in his left breast pocket.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:50:48 pm »
I prefer the EU formula, it's nice when the occasional rookie gets saved unscathed from the heavy plasma blast by that bible his mother gave him when he shipped out to join XCom that he keeps in his left breast pocket.

Yeah, this is a big part of what I meant. :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:21:06 pm »
I've seen an unarmored soldier get two plasma blasts in the face, and no wound. HIS mother must have given him a printed copy of Wikipedia.

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »
ok ..i see

Thanks all.