Author Topic: [COMMENDATIONS] UFOPedia Mod 3.2 (Updated by hellrazor)  (Read 57961 times)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [COMMENDATIONS] UFOPedia Mod 2.1 (Updated by hellrazor)
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 03:33:17 am »
I still lurk infrequently :) The github is a great addition!

The best solution will be to fix the code, because some of the flavor from the ufopaedia entry will be lost otherwise. I think the next best thing would be to leave as is; the loss of flavor might not outweigh the gain of being recognized for reviving NPCs ;p

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 05:55:28 am »
I think the current problem is that it loses it flavor when it's awarded incorrectly as well.  I revive a Sectoid, and I get a medal for reviving my fellow soldier.  Makes me not want to use the mod.  I'm  not sure doing nothing is the appropriate answer either.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 01:27:22 pm »
All life is sacred, Megatron.

:)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 06:55:58 pm »
I think the current problem is that it loses it flavor when it's awarded incorrectly as well.  I revive a Sectoid, and I get a medal for reviving my fellow soldier.  Makes me not want to use the mod.  I'm  not sure doing nothing is the appropriate answer either.

Yeah that's true. I say make the change until the code is rectified.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 07:21:02 pm »
I'm going to attempt to rectify the code.  I think I can do it without breaking old save files, but I'll test to be sure.  I'll see if SupSuper&Warboy will accept my changes which will be....

• Add revived stats for player soldiers, civilians (neutral), and hostiles.  I don't think this would be too much code after looking over everything  (about 30-35 lines total spread across 3 files?)
  • Fix the Commendations mod to check for a revived soldiers stat and not the generic unit revived totals but still keep that generic stat.  Guess this would technically push mod revision to 3.0 since it should be pinned against a newer nightly to function properly going forward. 

No medal development for reviving civilians or aliens, unless someone wants to do that.  I could probably do it, but it would take me a really long time to get it done.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMMENDATIONS] UFOPedia Mod 2.2 (Updated by jgatkinsn)
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 02:39:03 am »
Before I make any more changes, I figured it would be best to push out the fixes I have implemented in 2.2 revision.

https://github.com/jgatkinsn/Commendations/releases/tag/v2.2

Fixed Nike Cross text to reflect both stunning and killing all aliens as a requirement
Fixed Fallen Star to show "first award" when awarded instead of "sixth award".
Corrected various spelling errors in award text

NOTE: The Nike Cross in this mod is just a text change.  For Nike Cross and Mercy Cross to work correctly, a new nightly build is required as of  openxcom_git_master_2018_04_10_0319

OXCE+ version not yet available.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:42:41 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »
I see you touched a bit on the fallen star award. The intent with that award was the best squaddie would get first first award, and the best colonel would get the sixth last award. If that's how the code actually works, I forget! However, I have been looking at making changes to the code there. At the moment, the best-of medals are awarded to soldiers who have the best score among other dead soldiers; this means the first time you lose a soldier, they get an award. It's not very special. I attempted to make the code check against both living and dead soldiers, so only the truly exceptional would get an award. I haven't looked at my changes for a few weeks now, nor do I have my github set up, so I will post the code here. Maybe you can do something meaningful with it! https://hastebin.com/ucavawoyah.php

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 07:49:43 pm »
I see you touched a bit on the fallen star award. The intent with that award was the best squaddie would get first first award, and the best colonel would get the sixth last award. If that's how the code actually works, I forget! However, I have been looking at making changes to the code there. At the moment, the best-of medals are awarded to soldiers who have the best score among other dead soldiers; this means the first time you lose a soldier, they get an award. It's not very special. I attempted to make the code check against both living and dead soldiers, so only the truly exceptional would get an award. I haven't looked at my changes for a few weeks now, nor do I have my github set up, so I will post the code here. Maybe you can do something meaningful with it! https://hastebin.com/ucavawoyah.php

I'll take a look at it.  It was just very confusing to see a soldier  (i think a sergeant for instance) die and immediately get their "sixth" award for the first time  no matter what happened.  You can't get multiple post-humous awards unless you die multiple times which is a little hard to do for us mere mortals :)  With version control we can go back if need be.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:51:14 pm by jgatkinsn »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 03:13:03 am »
Yeah I think I remember seeing that in a recent playthrough. It should definitely always be "first award".

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 03:24:42 am »
Thanks for the fixes.

Always these oversights....

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 03:45:53 am »
Thanks for the fixes.

Always these oversights....

'Tis the life of software development :)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 12:05:17 am »
My changes got accepted:

https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/1180#pullrequestreview-114395173

I tested a bunch of different combinations and made sure no old saves were broken by the changes, so it should all work.  Going forward, the current and previous versions of the Commendations mod will exhibit the same incorrect behavior with the  next upcoming nightly build. 

I'll get a new Commendations that works correctly pushed out when the new nightly build is available.

EDIT:

Commendations 3.0 is out that fixes the ruleset to use the new stat for awarding the angel's cross.

THIS REQUIRES THE LATEST NIGHTLY:   openxcom_git_master_2018_04_24_2218

If you pair this new mod revision with the older nightly, you may see some strange behavior (like random angel cross awards), but the game will work.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:58:55 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2018, 10:07:46 am »
1/
metadata.yml still says v2.1
install.txt requires old nightly version

2/
medals use wrong palette -- last 4 colors
other images have completely wrong palettes (battlescape instead of basescape)

...I will be fixing the palettes and upload here once done
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:20:36 am by Meridian »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 05:06:17 pm »
I'll fix the metadata and install.txt.   Thanks for the palette fixes, since I  barely have a clue as to how all that works :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:10:19 pm by jgatkinsn »